Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

SSFC Annual Business Meeting Thoughts

General ECS talk.

Unread postby FuzzyForeigner » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:56:05 am

I attended the SSFC annual business meeting last night. As usual the event was well presented as we have come to expect and the attendance was on par with previous editions, although now the event is pretty much set in stone and roles are defined and we can come to expect a lot of the usual year in and year out. That is a good thing and creates consistency in my mind, which for a young club (in MLS) is needed. A few small things were addressed and "taken care" of that will mildly improve the club, but hey if we can get a few of them in each year slowly things will get better. The pre-USL championship banners will be hung next year, the pre-game music will be turned down so that we can socialize pre match, and the orca sound will likely dissappear. Small stuff, but hey they are done.

The rest is the usual "pat ourselves on the back" stuff, but the reason I go is to listen to what our ownership group has to say. This year we were lucky to have Sigi up there sharing his thoughts. I would like to see Paul Allen at one of these in the future (you know the other owner we never see).

What the owners and coach had to say was more of the usual stuff, but a there were in my mind a few eye-openers that somewhat startled me because they were said with such frankness in such a public setting.

Firstly, yes lets all hug and admit that it was a disappointing season. Roth apologized for it, and the thematic cause that was consistent between Adrian, Joe and Sigi was that we werent a team, but a collection of individuals, or at least the team fell apart for those last 10 matches. Tactics were not mentioned, subs and formations were not questioned-merely player commitment was questioned. I thought this to be rather odd and poor form to do in such a public forum expecially considering that players were at the meeting! I also dont understand why the coach does not share blame in not being able to form a team with such talent and, apparently with such hot egos. Thats what top coaches do in fact, and in most cases that is ALL they do: they babysit talented players with massive egos. The players in fact are so good and so versatile that often formations are a bit of a formality (aka Pep at Barca).

Secondly, I felt a degree of hopeless complacency when it comes to our injuries. We are 10% above last year and around league average. That is not good enough, and I would like to see a new medical staff pronto. In a league that once had DPs as differentiators between teams (no longer as teams have more DPs and learned how to balance their rosters better) we need to seek out any potential differentiator. I would have been more pleased in seeing the owners downright upset and willing to do something about this issue, rather than just collectively sigh about the misfortune of injuries (which in professional sports are more preventable than one might think).

Lastly, the comment by Roth that the team and players need to play with as much passion if not more than that expressed by the supporters. I would like to add that I think this should extend to the entire organization as I feel there is some "resting on laurels" going on in general in the Sounders and MLS as a whole in regards to supporters. We are a given quantity now and almost to be expected. This sorty of complacency did not exist in the early days of our club and surely did not exist in MLS prior to 2009. I hope that a new team with a solid backbone (Evans, Ozzie, Dempsey) that is humble and resepctful of our badge can be an inspiration to the whole organization in helping them understand that, despite all the success we have had on and off the field, we are still a small fish in a big ocean with a lot to learn.
FuzzyForeigner
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Crollaa » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:39:39 pm

Hearing Sigi talk about his "philosophy" was absolutely terrifying and reaffirms all my criticisms of him as a coach. He has no plan other than throw as many guys out there who can win their 50-50 matchups through athleticism and grit.

There's a reason why teams like SKC, Portland, and RSL were the best this year - and it's not because they won their 50-50 battles. Their coaches have a clearly defined vision about how they want their team to play and they make sure their players understand exactly what that vision is. Their players know what they're supposed to be doing in every phase of the game in every part of the field. Sigi hasn't got a fucking clue.
Crollaa
Past ECS Member

Unread postby reasonbass » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:48:33 pm

I was not there, but I heard that Sigi admitted that he was afraid to take out Shalrie during the Portland match because of the reaction from the locker room. Is this true? If so, can someone provide context? This horrified me when I heard it second hand.
reasonbass
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:57:10 pm

glad to hear the 1995 and 1996 banners will finally go up, long overdue, especially since the 1995 one was a top division championship, pre-MLS.

From what I read about what Sigi was talking about... more and more believe he doesn't have the vision or leadership to move this team beyond what we've done in previous years. Bringing him back was a big mistake. Agree too about the "hustle" and "playing through injuries" things. Seems like the way SJ play, the only thing missing here is *gasp* Lenhart :(
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby Jabsco » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:30:41 pm

reasonbass wrote:I was not there, but I heard that Sigi admitted that he was afraid to take out Shalrie during the Portland match because of the reaction from the locker room. Is this true? If so, can someone provide context? This horrified me when I heard it second hand.

Basically, yes. You can go back and watch the video now, but he said he didn't want to pull him BEFORE HALF even though it was obviously not working, because he didn't want to get in a shouting match during halftime.

Then, he said he was going to pull Shalrie just after the second half started, but we got scored on too quickly and fucked that up, or something.
Jabsco
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby cethe » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:32:57 pm

Jabsco wrote:
reasonbass wrote:I was not there, but I heard that Sigi admitted that he was afraid to take out Shalrie during the Portland match because of the reaction from the locker room. Is this true? If so, can someone provide context? This horrified me when I heard it second hand.

Basically, yes. You can go back and watch the video now, but he said he didn't want to pull him BEFORE HALF even though it was obviously not working, because he didn't want to get in a shouting match during halftime.

Then, he said he was going to pull Shalrie just after the second half started, but we got scored on too quickly and fucked that up, or something.

*bangs head on desk*
who the fuck is in charge of that locker room? the players or the coach?
cethe
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Ultra666 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:40:05 pm

Unfuckingbelievable!
How was this guy not fired?
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby Dr. Chubb » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:41:24 pm

FuzzyForeigner wrote:Firstly, yes let's all hug and admit that it was a disappointing season. Roth apologized for it, and the thematic cause that was consistent between Adrian, Joe and Sigi was that we weren't a team, but a collection of individuals, or at least the team fell apart for those last 10 matches. Tactics were not mentioned, subs and formations were not questioned-merely player commitment was questioned.

I took this a completely different way. I felt like when they were discussing player commitment they were speaking to the future trades, signings and releasing of players in the upcoming offseason as a justification for why we'll see some players go that presumably had seen a large portion of minutes. They didn't get into formations, tactics and subs because it's water under the bridge and breaking down plans, thoughts and feelings game by game is not the point for the meeting. It's first and foremost, essentially, a shareholders meeting. They talk about the past briefly then move onto the future. Going into next season we'll have significant enough roster churn they have no idea what the formation will look like because they have refocused their attention on the best player for the team rather than the best player available at the time.

FuzzyForeigner wrote:Secondly, I felt a degree of hopeless complacency when it comes to our injuries. We are 10% above last year and around league average.

Only thing they mentioned to curb injury was they researched the correlation between aerobic training (something they focused less on this season) and injuries and found the more aerobic training they do, the less muscle related injuries so the boys will be doing some laps next season. I also think they'll approach signing players with existing conditions or that are carrying knocks with a profound amount of caution and less "we can rebuild him" attitude.
Dr. Chubb
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Jabsco » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:01:14 pm

cethe wrote:
Jabsco wrote:

*bangs head on desk*

Nothing about his responses changed my opinion that he ain't equipped to (or interested in, frankly) deal with players with the slightest hint of attitude/arrogance/anything.
Jabsco
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby FuzzyForeigner » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:16:29 am

cethe wrote:
Jabsco wrote:

*bangs head on desk*

hey brah, change your profile pic its making me sad brah
FuzzyForeigner
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby cethe » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:24:59 am

yeah, good point. now taking ideas for a new avatar
cethe
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Kill3rSasquatch » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:11:06 pm

cethe wrote:yeah, good point. now taking ideas for a new avatar

A pic of me????
Kill3rSasquatch
Past ECS Member

Unread postby cethe » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:01:14 pm

how about just your middle finger?
cethe
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby ProdigalReality » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:58:26 pm

So the coach loses the locker room, and we give him another year.
ProdigalReality
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby ericgi » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:25:05 am

more than just that, that sigi should have been fired for.
ericgi
ECS Founder

Return to ECS General