Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Boom Boom not loud enough?

General ECS talk.

Unread postby Hooch » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:12:03 am

FWIW: The drum was almost completely inaudible in the north-end on Saturday, most notably during BBC.
Hooch
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby RatCity » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:54:11 pm

I'll have a more expansive write up on this later, but for now do to stadium noise and the ridiculous volume of the stadium PA I wouldn't expect much past the the brougham end line. And that's from either drum.
RatCity
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Ultra666 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:39:52 pm

They need to turn the house PA down.
It is way too loud.

That said, I can barely hear the line up being announced this season.....
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby RatCity » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:58:31 pm

From what I found out through walking around, they turn the pa behind us down really low. Then they make up for it by jackin everyone else's speakers up. Since these speakers are directional due to their size and shape, we don't hear them as much.
RatCity
Past ECS Member

Unread postby eastside » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:31:02 pm

FYI, from our seats in 209, we've almost never heard the drum while the intro music was playing.
eastside
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby TheProblemChild » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:46:24 pm

I was 4 rows from the top of 122 for SKC and barely heard the drums the entire match. Last Saturday sat directly behind them in the 3rd row and couldn't hear anything following the match
TheProblemChild
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Conflagration1974 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:25:26 pm

Seriously. More drums. Can't expect to fill an entire stadium of that size with sound from just two drums even if one is enormous. I'm not talking about creating a hippie drum circle with a bunch of bongo drums brought in by random people that don't know what the fuck they're doing. I'm talking about a drum core. One that is strategically placed so every section in the brougham end is on time and can follow. Capo and drum. I don't see coordination as a downside. It's just something that needs to be figured out. This isn't a new idea that no large SG has ever done and done well. Like any operation a drum core has to be planned, well-practiced and executed. To me this seems like an answer to a major barrier to converting the entire south end. Best part here is that a drum core's beat will inherently compel people to follow and sing, ECS or not.
Conflagration1974
ECS Leadership

Unread postby aeolsen » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:05:52 pm

Right now we have three drummers and three drums. We would need more people available, willing, and capable to drum to even think of adding more. People would have to come down and talk to the drummers about learning our songs and get added into the rotation before we could even think if adding more
aeolsen
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby RatCity » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:23:48 pm

Alright. heres MY official opinion on the drums situation after walking around the stadium after the last match.

Started at ground zero and could hear the drum fine(obviously). Walked to the topo stand, heard it fine. Walked to the concourse, heard it fine. Walked to the very top of 122 underneath the scoreboard. Heard it fine. Walked on the concourse and after i reached the edge of the brougham end was where i started having difficulty hearing the drum. Mostly becuase the stadium sound system kicks in at that exact spot. So for the BBC you wont hear the drum out of the brougham end becuase the intro music is too loud and over bearing. Dont like it? send ssfc a mesage. Nothing we can do about it at the moment from a capo/drummer vantage point. The rest of the amtch may just be do to crowd noise. We are a very loud stadium and getting louder every year.

Timing. The timing from the drum was fine everywhere i went. I noticed a TON of people not clapping or singing on time but the beats of the drum were on point with our songs no matter how far you got away from it. I am woindering if people are watching the drummers mallets for timing. If this is the case, stop. it will influence your timing and you will be off. I think people may also be using the sound wave of the drum to time themselves which is also incorrect. I confirmed timing with a few people at different points. From the topo stand you can feel the sound wave.

SO in my opinion, the new drum is great and a VAST improvment on what we had. The new placement is just that. NEW. Its not the sound or the feeling people are use to which is understandable but I fail to believe that a drum which is over 30% larger is hard to hear becuase it was moved down 15 rows(no seriously. The drum moved 15 rows. thats not that far.) I think people will need to adjust to the new drum and over time we will all feel comfortable with it. OR move down. We have plenty of space down there and people are going bonkers in the front row which is very refreshing site. If a camera is the only thing keeping you from the front, i dont know what to tell you.

As far as a drum core. find me qualified drummers that can meet and practice every week and maybe i'll think about it. But the 3 drummers we have currently are doing a great job. Most drum groups you see in sg's are pretty small and typically all are in a bundle. We have some of the best drummers in the league and some of the loudest, and best quality equipment in the league. Its easy to youtube videos and say "how come we arnt like that". But those are just videos. until you've gone around the world to actually witness other groups, its very difficult to compare what we have to them.Frankly the only comparison we have in our league is PDX. Our gear and size is very similar. The only thing they really have over us is a GOD DAMN ROOF! :D. But even still, we are very comparable to them, and I think our drummers are a lot more skilled then theres. Plus our drummers have style. And style always wins points in my book.

So please give this time. Before we all go blaming gear and placement maybve we need to look at ourselves. Are we rusty from the offseason? Are we maybe a little to buzzed cause we're excited to start the season? Do we just need to adjust to new things? IMO these first 2 games have been the best start from a supporting stand point we've ever had. You guys have been loud, well timed, and more in tune. Usually takes 4-6 games to get where we're already at. And thats very encouraging.

TLDR: relax, give it time, the drums are fine. GOD DAMN ROOF. Keep up the great work.
RatCity
Past ECS Member

Unread postby PapermakerFC » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:11:54 pm

What is this fucking sorcery?
PapermakerFC
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Thalas » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:13:32 am

Boom Boom has been really quiet the last 2 games from upper 122 LL, Portland and Spurs, as well as all the booms during the game. It's throwing off upper's support and upper is giving up or not trying half the time and I think it's because the drums are all of a sudden quieter than earlier this season. I don't remember the drums being quiet before the World Cup break. I can't hear the drum solos practically at all which is really bumming me out. I used to be able to practically feel all the booms but now I can barely hear them. I was freaking out the whole first half of Portland because for maybe the biggest match of the year upper was crap and the drums seemed muffled, I thought maybe ESPN had a hand in it, then we scored and I stopped caring for the moment, until Tottenham, same thing, got upset again, figured maybe ESPN again, figured that was crap we wouldn't bow down to them, but it's two games now so I had to say something and this seemed like a good thread to do it on.
Thalas
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby aeolsen » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:45:30 am

When the stadium is that full sound doesn't travel as well so the Portland game it's understandable that the sound of the drum didn't reach as far as normal. For the friendly the large drum wasn't used as we only had one drummer planning on attending so we used the smaller drum that up until this year had been our only stadium bass drum.
We also had a problem with the mic not being turned up enough to accommodate the Portland crowd and people in the front of the upper sections that can usually pic up what is being said couldn't hear anything. It's just what happens when there are that many more people attending
aeolsen
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby Thalas » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:40:37 am

The boom boom during Portland should've been very audible as everyone is very quiet between claps, it wasn't, I almost missed a few claps because it was so quiet.

I've been to every game for the last 3 years minus a wedding and they're already divorced so that blows, and I've never heard the drums this quiet, booms, solos, and general drumming has always been very audible when the stadium has been full in the past, and now it isn't from upper's perspective. It's really damaging support from above and choreography, which sucks when I'm the only one yelling up there, when the drums are loud everyone's yelling. When the stadium is noisy the drums are hard to hear sometimes sure, but that simply wasn't the case during Portland for most of the game and especially not for boom boom. Tottenham I can write off to lack of drummers. Yes the mic was low during Portland but that's not my concern as it was pretty loud for Tottenham and I remember thinking it might've been slightly too loud.

We'll see how it is against LA, I'll report back to this thread either way I think.
Thalas
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Llarian » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:47:40 am

Tottenham didn't have the large bass deployed at all.
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby RatCity » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:48:17 pm

If the drum is too silent, follow your nearest capo. You should be queuing off of them anyway.
RatCity
Past ECS Member

PreviousNext

Return to ECS General