Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Sitting with the supporters for the first time...

General ECS talk.

Unread postby AllieBear » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:46:06 pm

We moved to Washington a year ago and we've been to several Sounders games, I'm always watching the supporters section and it looks like so much fun. I got GA tickets for the LA Galaxy game on the 28th, any tips or pointers for a newbie?
AllieBear
Past ECS Member

Unread postby RatCity » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:18:15 pm

Keep singing, stay off your phone, keep standing, wave that flag, get to know your neighbor, and lastly, just let the section take you on the ride. :D
RatCity
Past ECS Member

Unread postby bobdavisnpf » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:37:58 pm

Wear rave green, or black, or anything not white or gold or dark blue.
Bring a scarf. Doesn't matter which one, as long as it's an SG or a Sounders scarf.
Join March To The Match, if you can. You'll feel more like the Supporters' Section is your home, if you walk in with the Supporters on MTTM.
If you can keep standing and singing and chanting then you will be every bit as welcome your first time as though it is your 50th. Always room for those excited to Support!
bobdavisnpf
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby revolution1973 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:25:03 am

keep an open mind give it all a try. just remember we are a very interactive and view obstructed section. Inspiring the club to play their best means there are LOTS of times where you can not see what is happening. It is a wild and crazy ride.
revolution1973
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby 6ft2whiteguy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:37:52 am

Wear whatever you want. As long as it isn't anything LA Galaxy. Your support of the club is way more important than the clothes on your back.
Joining the ECS March to the Match is highly recommended. Look for the group of people huddled up on the street. 5:50pm at Occidental Park.
Put your phone away during the match. Halftime is okay.
Expect to stand constantly.
Expect your view to be obstructed by flags.
Sing and chant with us in support of the boys, highly recommended.
Wave a flag, if you want.
Go with the flow.
Have fun.
6ft2whiteguy
Past ECS Member

Unread postby AllieBear » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:52:34 am

Awesome! Sounds like a blast! Do I need to know all the songs or are there cheat sheets for newbies? I went through the songs section, there's a lot to learn. :shock:
AllieBear
Past ECS Member

Unread postby joelproHH » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:02:55 am

There will be someone by the sections handing out song cards, so that's a start. Props to learning some beforehand on the website. There are many more, so best thing is to have fun, sing along, and follow your capo!
joelproHH
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby CursedFrogurt » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:21:24 am

If you have a chance to go to Fuel or Temple ahead of time, wander in and introduce yourself to somebody with an ECS scarf. Same with the march. Same with the section. As long as you're there to participate and have a good time, you'll do great. We're really quite nice... mostly :)
CursedFrogurt
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby Dannicus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:19:18 pm

If you have underage supporters with you, Merchant's Cafe is a great spot too. Family Friendly. Lots a supporters who want to get to you know you.
Dannicus
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby AllieBear » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:07:18 pm

Okay, that makes me feel better, I didn't want to feel stupid not knowing the words. I'm prepared to be hoarse the next day from cheering. It'll be my husband and I so we will definitely hit up a pub beforehand and MTTM, I want the full experience! Thanks for all the tips, I'm definitely more excited than nervous now.
AllieBear
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:45:14 am

First off, welcome!

Don't worry about not knowing all the songs beforehand. Everyone has to start somewhere. The song card doesn't have EVERYTHING we do on it, but the more complicated stuff *is* on it. At the top of the page is a Media dropdown, there's a song list link there with videos of the most common ones we do. I'd recommend a run through there and sing along so you get the general idea.

I'd recommend standing either in 121 or 123 if you want a less intense first experience. The very top of 122 is ok as well. Save moving down to the middle/front of 122 or the front of the other sections for when you're more familiar/comfortable with the songs and the section :)

Do introduce yourself to people standing around you and don't be afraid to ask for help if a song is unfamilar to you. If all else fails, wave your scarf or do the gestures that the capo is doing, until you're more familiar with the lyrics!
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby McTrixie » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:25:48 pm

Don't worry about not knowing all the songs in the beginning, because by the end of the match you'll know them all by heart. My husband and I did the supporter's section for the first time in 2010 at LA Away, and by halftime we felt like we belonged :-) You'll have a blast, it's definitely something to experience!
McTrixie
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby CursedFrogurt » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:40:18 pm

McTrixie wrote:Don't worry about not knowing all the songs in the beginning, because by the end of the match you'll know them all by heart. My husband and I did the supporter's section for the first time in 2010 at LA Away, and by halftime we felt like we belonged :-) You'll have a blast, it's definitely something to experience!

Sorry, who are you again?
CursedFrogurt
ECS Member 2018

Return to ECS General