Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Why no standard Sounders flag waved in ECS Section?

General ECS talk.

Unread postby FIGHTNWIN! » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:21:06 pm

Hi ECS!

I’m new to the ECS section so forgive me if this has already been discussed somewhere. I searched the forum and found nothing directly related to my concern. Please move this thread if I’m in the wrong sub forum since this may be a sensitive topic.

I have a basic Sounders flag from a few yrs ago that was purchased from the Pro Shop.
I want to wave this flag in the ECS section and during the next away match so started looking into pole designs (you can see my result in page one of viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26958) and started noticing there are no generic Sounders flags being waved in the ECS section, just ECS flags. I had to go WAY back in the photo archives to find another MLS branded Sounders flag.

May I bring my flag into the ECS area, or is that frowned upon?
FIGHTNWIN!
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby aeolsen » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:43:27 pm

You can bring that flag. Some people might have something snarky to say but personal displays of passion are always welcome. Just make sure to follow the capo and if they say color down put it down.
aeolsen
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby vallenato78 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:59:54 am

Do it! It has our color and shows support for our crest, who cares where you bought it.
vallenato78
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby RatCity » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:27:35 am

People tend to put more value on things they made or designed which is why younprobably dont see many pro shop flags. Doesnt mean they arnt allowed. Id be shocked if you found someone telling you to put down OUR crest. More color is always better.
RatCity
Past ECS Member

Unread postby charles_troy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:31:09 am

I have a sounders flag as well as the ECS flag...and we fly both! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

Reginald Chaos
charles_troy
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby charles_troy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:32:24 am

If people don't like you flying a sounders flag, who cares and they can suck it! We fly both flags proudly!

Reginald Chaos
charles_troy
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby SPQR » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:10:04 pm

Fly the flag proudly! More color is better!
SPQR
Past ECS Member

Unread postby FIGHTNWIN! » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:49:02 pm

Thank you for all the replies; I will wave the flag with pride.

Speaking of flags, I have one just like the pic attached without the gold trim - is this a custom job? That flag is BEAUTIFUL!

FIGHTNWIN!
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby Ultra666 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:31:35 am

Flags with grommets do not wave as well as the flags that have sleeves for the poles.
That is another reason you see fewer of these types of flags.
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby JesseSFC » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:43:10 am

FIGHTNWIN! wrote:Hi ECS!

I’m new to the ECS section so forgive me if this has already been discussed somewhere. I searched the forum and found nothing directly related to my concern. Please move this thread if I’m in the wrong sub forum since this may be a sensitive topic.

I have a basic Sounders flag from a few yrs ago that was purchased from the Pro Shop.
I want to wave this flag in the ECS section and during the next away match so started looking into pole designs (you can see my result in page one of viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26958) and started noticing there are no generic Sounders flags being waved in the ECS section, just ECS flags. I had to go WAY back in the photo archives to find another MLS branded Sounders flag.

May I bring my flag into the ECS area, or is that frowned upon?

My thoughts: these flags are harder to wave, merely because they are not made to be used as we do in the section, they are more wall decor, or put it on that flag pole in your yard and let it hang,

You are more then welcome to bring the flag to matches, we do provide pvc poles for lower GA section 121-123 and i do have zip ties and tape to attach it to the pole.

https://www.the-flag-makers.com/

This site is great for making custom flags, I am not entirely sure with copy right laws if you can make a flag with the sounders logo, but any other idea you have they can make, and as ultra said they can make it with the proper sleeve for the pole.
JesseSFC
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Dannicus » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:29:36 pm

The other thing to keep in mind, is the stadium policy of what is and is not allowed into the stadium as far as poles are concern. See the Stadium guide http://www.soundersfc.com/matchday/stadium-guide for information on this.

I will say, that 3x5 flags don't typically do well on a standard 3.5 foot pvc pole, as they are too long and tend to get hung up on the person in front of you (No bueno). But if you were to creatively come up with a longer pole that allows you to wave your flag well above the heads of those around you, you should be good to go.

I for one would be happy to see more items that have the crest we love on them, in the section.
Dannicus
ECS Leadership

Unread postby FIGHTNWIN! » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:38:00 pm

@ JesseSFC
Thanks for the input. I don't like how heavy the solid green flag is, like you wrote it's not meant to be waved around but I have my technique down and can wave it high above the crowd. I'll probably end up using the older flag similar to the one with gold trim above which is much lighter for safety reasons. The heavy flag may cause a friction burn if I graze someone in the face.

@ Dannicus
I looked into our stadium rules and I seem to have a legal flag pole design. It retracts to 34" with a maximum extension of 60", but I will keep it at 42" while in our ECS section. I've contacted Sounders FC via email about my pole with no response yet. Apparently I am OK to bring my pole to BC Place at full extension according to the Whitecaps.

Hi Jerry,
I have checked with the Whitecaps and the size of your pole/flag are no problem.
Thanks for checking!
Amy
BC PLACE

Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2015 6:16 PM
To: BC Place
Subject: Guest Rules Question

Hi BC Place, I hope this message finds you well!
I'm going to be attending the match between Whitecaps vs Sounders on the 19th in the general admission away sections 119-121.
What are the rules regarding flag poles? I have a collapsible pvc pole (34") that extends to 60" for a 3'x5' flag.
Thanks!
Jerry

If any of you long time ECS members think I will run into trouble let me know.
FIGHTNWIN!
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby crdiaz73 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:39:24 pm

FYI,
Depending on what person inspects your telescoping flag pole is a gamble. I've seen them turn people away because of them and I've seen one allowed as well.
crdiaz73
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby FIGHTNWIN! » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:19:42 pm

@ crdiaz73
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am seriously considering scrapping my pole and going with two 3' 6" conduit PVC pipes as you suggested in another old thread if that would guarantee my equipment getting through the GA gates.

Has anyone had problems going through the gates with multiple 1.5" x 3' 6" PVC poles?
FIGHTNWIN!
ECS Member 2018

Return to ECS General