Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Non-stop waving of giant flags

General ECS talk.

Unread postby davethehawaiian » Mon Nov 2, 2015 1:27:17 am

This will probably be met with opposition from the ECS officers, based on prior experience, but at the last few home games giant flags have been waved that block our groups view of the field nearly completely. Having this occur periodically is something we signed on for when choosing to join the supporters section, however if the flags never come down and our view is obstructed for the entire 90 minutes it becomes a problem. We witnessed this last night with the minor revolt in the upper 122 section mentioned in a different post. Similar to their experience at the half we went to talk with the flag waver to see if even for a short amount of time the flag could be lowered. We were told he would lower the flag only if instructed to. Now I do have to give the guy props for keeping that flag moving for the entire 45 minutes of the first half but my memories of that half consist of one flag obscuring my view of the team I came to support (and have supported since being a season ticket holder in 2011) and a Dallas goal.

When we approached ECS officers asking about the possibility of have the flag lowered even for a small portion of the second half we were treated like children scoffed at the told of a grand vision of dozens of giant flags waving non-stop every game. I pray this isn't the official vision of the ECS, as I don't intend to pay 400 bucks to sing while watching flags be waved. I get that the flags look awesome, I'm fine with them being brought up during certain chants or when the nature of the game calls for it. However we came to drink sing and watch the Sounders, not to chant our songs to a field of waving flags for 90 minutes.

As mentioned in another thread these flags are starting to distract from what should be the ECS's goal. We should be united in our passion for the team and the city they represent! And not a vain attempt to be the coolest looking, hardest acting supports group in the league (are we really trying to be the fucking 1906 Ultras?!). The ECS officers need to take these complaints seriously or risk more discord and potential violence among our members. We all come to watch the Sounders triumph over any foolish enough to come before them, and we sing and chant in the hopes that we can influence our team and spur them on to victory. That is the foundation of the ECS, take that away and what are we left with?
davethehawaiian
Past ECS Member

Unread postby malcolmest » Mon Nov 2, 2015 2:16:11 am

Thanks, I think you covered a bit I missed in my post. Not sure it deserves a second topic though...
malcolmest
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby Ultra666 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 5:48:32 am

Many people worked long and hard to be able to have large flags in the Supporter Sections.
This is not a new issue, and by now (6 years in) you should know what to expect.
The group has chosen a style of support that appears to bother some people, but those people seem unwilling to do anything to improve their situation.

You are in an obstructed view section. It has been this way since day 1.
Yes, some matches have more flags, or bigger flags. That is determined by the Game Day Crew.
They are not there to make sure you enjoy yourself. They are there to support the team.

As I said, this is nothing at all new (hell, you can find this same post from 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, etc....) and if you have not learned by now that this can and will happen from time to time, then I really don't know what to tell you.
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby J9Starr » Mon Nov 2, 2015 7:04:27 am

FB_IMG_1446471846421.jpg

You were warned. Note flag waving is listed as one of the many ways we support for full 90 minutes. Not periodically.

Expect 90 minutes of Flag Waving.
J9Starr
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Nikolai » Mon Nov 2, 2015 8:24:57 am

Go fuck yourself.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Nikolai
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Mon Nov 2, 2015 8:50:07 am

Nikolai wrote:Go fuck yourself.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Constructive!
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby SeattleCalcio » Mon Nov 2, 2015 9:03:08 am

davethehawaiian wrote:This will probably be met with opposition from the ECS officers, based on prior experience.

Thanks for starting your thread off by being adversarial, nothing is more likely to get you opposition to the rest of your post than starting it by insulting those you're addressing. And yet, here I am, responding anyways.

davethehawaiian wrote:When we approached ECS officers asking about the possibility of have the flag lowered even for a small portion of the second half we were treated like children scoffed at the told of a grand vision of dozens of giant flags waving non-stop every game. I pray this isn't the official vision of the ECS, as I don't intend to pay 400 bucks to sing while watching flags be waved. I get that the flags look awesome, I'm fine with them being brought up during certain chants or when the nature of the game calls for it. However we came to drink sing and watch the Sounders, not to chant our songs to a field of waving flags for 90 minutes.

Yes, this is the vision of the ECS. We want the entire Brougham End filled with flags. We've stated that many times, and continue to work towards that in our long term plans. The song you're trying to quote does not in fact say "watch the Sounders". We're there to support, and sometimes (often, in fact) this may mean that your view is obstructed. You're told about this any time you buy a ticket from the ECS, everytime you walk into the Brougham End, and before/during the game by our capos. It should be no surprise.

davethehawaiian wrote:As mentioned in another thread these flags are starting to distract from what should be the ECS's goal. We should be united in our passion for the team and the city they represent! And not a vain attempt to be the coolest looking, hardest acting supports group in the league (are we really trying to be the fucking 1906 Ultras?!). The ECS officers need to take these complaints seriously or risk more discord and potential violence among our members. We all come to watch the Sounders triumph over any foolish enough to come before them, and we sing and chant in the hopes that we can influence our team and spur them on to victory. That is the foundation of the ECS, take that away and what are we left with?

We are showing our passion, which is to support this team to the fullest of our ability. This means waving flags, too. It's really unfortunate that you (and many others) decided to STOP SUPPORTING so that you could complain about the flags. ECS is not trying to be "coolest looking, hardest acting", we're trying to support our team. It's clear that you don't know much about the 1906 Ultras, who are a violent group that has a history of assaulting opposing fans at home and away matches. That's not what the ECS is about (although you're here threatening violence so maybe I'm wrong). You're right that the foundation of this group is that we're there to spur the team to victory with songs and chants, but you left out flags, two poles, and scarves. These are critical elements of our support that we are NOT taking away, because then what are we left with?
SeattleCalcio
ECS Leadership

Unread postby robinhood » Mon Nov 2, 2015 9:04:45 am

Did the upper 122 have flags as well? maybe they just needed something to wave?
robinhood
Past ECS Member

Unread postby JesseSFC » Mon Nov 2, 2015 9:18:33 am

robinhood wrote:Did the upper 122 have flags as well? maybe they just needed something to wave?

Due to stadium policy we are not allow to place flags into upper section, but they are more then willing to bring their own.
JesseSFC
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby SeattleCalcio » Mon Nov 2, 2015 9:33:58 am

And if you think our efforts go unnoticed by our players, here's the team captain: https://twitter.com/brad_evans3/status/ ... 4444975104

Brad Evans Verified account
‏@brad_evans3

Great work this week! Tireless work from fans and players rewarded! #ebfg #sounders
SeattleCalcio
ECS Leadership

Unread postby JesseSFC » Mon Nov 2, 2015 9:36:54 am

davethehawaiian wrote: (are we really trying to be the fucking 1906 Ultras?!).

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? Go Fuck off, Get over it. Entire stadium to sit in, you decided to sit behind us.
JesseSFC
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Mon Nov 2, 2015 9:41:11 am

davethehawaiian wrote:. I pray this isn't the official vision of the ECS, as I don't intend to pay 400 bucks to sing while watching flags be waved.

Then I suggest you contact your ticket rep about moving your seats. Pretty simple.
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby bougiehoolie » Mon Nov 2, 2015 10:21:37 am

SP The Ghost wrote:
davethehawaiian wrote:. I pray this isn't the official vision of the ECS, as I don't intend to pay 400 bucks to sing while watching flags be waved.

Then I suggest you contact your ticket rep about moving your seats. Pretty simple.

To be fair, I find the way that upper 121-123 is described and sold varies depending on what you say to the ticket agents (i've mystery shopped over the last couple years), so I'm never surprised when this happens anymore.
bougiehoolie
ECS Co-President

Unread postby crdiaz73 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 10:51:05 am

davethehawaiian wrote: The ECS officers need to take these complaints seriously or risk more discord and potential violence among our members.

Really,

Threatening violence, what a Jerk ! You should be banned for saying such things ! Not the act of a true supporter!
crdiaz73
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby uwmike » Mon Nov 2, 2015 12:12:09 pm

This thread perfectly sums up why many people dislike or have problems with ECS. It's NOT the flag waving, chanting, etc. but it's the hostility many of you show towards your fellow supporters. If this supporters group wants growth, then alienating other Sounders supporters by telling them to fuck off or say other harsh things is not the way to go. I support waving flags, but when you're waving a flag in the first few rows, your view is not the same as someone 20-30 rows behind you who will sometimes miss a big play as a result, so have some more sympathy at least. We're not the 1906 Ultras, but we sure aren't close to being the most welcoming supporters group in the league.
uwmike
ECS Member 2018

Next

Return to ECS General