Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Non-stop waving of giant flags

General ECS talk.

Unread postby BlueEyedBuddhist » Tue Nov 3, 2015 5:31:57 pm

Ultra666 wrote:So, what I am hearing from some is "we like the flags when they are used how we want them to be used, but if that changes we hate the flags"

And what I am saying is that a few times a season the flags are going to be used in a manner that you may not like. If that is a big issue, then you (or the people that sit around you) may need to rethink where they stand on match day.

Only they can change their situation.

I don't think that's *quite* what people were saying, but it's close enough. :)

Seriously, I think that some people had already made their decisions on where to stand based on existing past practice of flag usage.

That's fair, that's just what we want them to do. Obviously we (well, you and me, anyway, Sean) hope that they choose to stand in the Brougham End, flags or not, but I'm also okay and would encourage ECS members that do have problems with the flags to move elsewhere so this whole thing doesn't become an issue.

I've actually been thinking for a while that maybe we should change something up, but I don't think it's a topic for here in the ECS General (ie, publicly viewable) topic. I'll pop it in a restricted forum.
BlueEyedBuddhist
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Jabsco » Tue Nov 3, 2015 6:48:49 pm

It's hilarious to me that the match in which the most flag complaints of 2015 happen is the same match that ECS is applauded by fans, members, PLAYERS, and others as being the best support they've ever seen & heard from us. Seems like everyone is on board for more flags, other than the half dozen irate people who refuse to sit in one of the other 35,000 available seats in the stadium.

Man, if only there was an easy solution.
Jabsco
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby RatCity » Tue Nov 3, 2015 7:47:21 pm

Matt! I swear to god! If you keep making smart concise answers like that, im putting you in charge of something! Now knock it off!
RatCity
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Ultra666 » Wed Nov 4, 2015 6:11:10 am

BlueEyedBuddhist wrote:
Ultra666 wrote:So, what I am hearing from some is "we like the flags when they are used how we want them to be used, but if that changes we hate the flags"

And what I am saying is that a few times a season the flags are going to be used in a manner that you may not like. If that is a big issue, then you (or the people that sit around you) may need to rethink where they stand on match day.

Only they can change their situation.

I don't think that's *quite* what people were saying, but it's close enough. :)

Seriously, I think that some people had already made their decisions on where to stand based on existing past practice of flag usage.

That's fair, that's just what we want them to do. Obviously we (well, you and me, anyway, Sean) hope that they choose to stand in the Brougham End, flags or not, but I'm also okay and would encourage ECS members that do have problems with the flags to move elsewhere so this whole thing doesn't become an issue.

I've actually been thinking for a while that maybe we should change something up, but I don't think it's a topic for here in the ECS General (ie, publicly viewable) topic. I'll pop it in a restricted forum.

There are three great links to pass along;

https://www.weareecs.com/multimedia/cat ... end-vision

https://www.weareecs.com/multimedia/cat ... do-it-bffs

https://www.weareecs.com/multimedia/cat ... -style-ecs

Let me highlight a paragraph from the article from the first link;

The vision that we as a group have been working towards since joining MLS has been to create the best and largest supporter terrace in North America. We see the entire Brougham End (sections 119-125) being just like, and even better than, the current sections known now as “GA”. Currently we have six sections in which supporters are expected to be singing, standing, and giving their full 90 without complaints about chants choices and obstructed views by flags and other tifo. We want a free flowing section in which several groups exist and work together to bring tifo and help spread the songs lead by the capos. We want communities to be built within the Brougham End, we want people to be able to bring their flags into the Brougham End regardless of location or size of flag. We want to do all this without hooliganism, politics or violence.
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby Skarpian » Wed Nov 4, 2015 11:59:28 am

Jabsco wrote:It's hilarious to me that the match in which the most flag complaints of 2015 happen is the same match that ECS is applauded by fans, members, PLAYERS, and others as being the best support they've ever seen & heard from us. Seems like everyone is on board for more flags, other than the half dozen irate people who refuse to sit in one of the other 35,000 available seats in the stadium.

Man, if only there was an easy solution.

QFT
Skarpian
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby jtowner » Thu Nov 5, 2015 10:07:08 am

For those who are unaware, ECS has been flying BFFs since day one, upper sections were opened AFTER this precedent was set. I felt really bad for those the first year or two whom got GA tickets and didn't want the atmosphere, but the FO did a great job of relocating folks out of GA, and moving in folks who wanted to be there. That was back when the band was in the front of 120 and all types of other shit. We're 7 years in at RBP, and we have fought for a consistent vision of what GA should look like. We have had mixed interactions with the FO over time, but it is better than what other supporter groups have.

Playoffs are an exciting time, and given our standing in the table we have to push our team to leave the first half of the home and home series with a strong result. We got that last weekend. We should expect it at a higher level against a Cascadia opponent if we play on the 22nd. Fear what happens if we host Montreal (my pick) or DC on the 6th - fucking mental would be an understatement.
jtowner
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby FuzzyForeigner » Thu Nov 5, 2015 3:29:28 pm

lets stick together folks. we have dallas on sunday. we march on.
FuzzyForeigner
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby ericgi » Thu Nov 5, 2015 5:00:59 pm

All this should be a focal topic at next town hall. These type of discussions work much better in person than on the internet.
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby Llarian » Thu Nov 5, 2015 5:11:08 pm

ericgi wrote:All this should be a focal topic at next town hall. These type of discussions work much better in person than on the internet.

This
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby uwmike » Fri Nov 6, 2015 6:58:23 pm

FYI mentioning the ECS vision and talking about this stuff at ECS related meetings isn't really doing much since I'm quite certain everyone there and a majority of the people on here understand everything that the flags and what not entails. Leadership has to figure out a friendly way to reach out to the non-ECSers sitting in upper 121-123 that either don't know about these forums or don't read them.
uwmike
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby futbolgirl » Sat Nov 7, 2015 6:36:19 am

uwmike wrote:FYI mentioning the ECS vision and talking about this stuff at ECS related meetings isn't really doing much since I'm quite certain everyone there and a majority of the people on here understand everything that the flags and what not entails. Leadership has to figure out a friendly way to reach out to the non-ECSers sitting in upper 121-123 that either don't know about these forums or don't read them.

You didn't buy your tickets from the ECS. The Front Office needs to do a better job of explaining what view-obstructed means.
futbolgirl
ECS Co-President

Unread postby vallenato78 » Sat Nov 7, 2015 10:58:04 am

From what I have heard the people that were complaining weren't the typical new faces that bought their tickets on stub hub and had no idea what they were getting into. It was coming from season ticket holders, people that had been there and knew what was up. The same people that "love what we do", except when we don't do things how they want us to. If you are in the BE you need to be prepared to have your view blocked. It may be for 5 minutes, it may be longer, but it most likely will be obstructed at some point. It is just mind boggling to me how people just bitch, and bitch and bitch about the same thing. If you don't like your seats then move. It is so damn simple.
vallenato78
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby tjw » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:24:45 pm

I go to the game to support, period. Then, I go home and watch the game on DVR. Easy!
tjw
ECS Leadership

Unread postby vallenato78 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:54:12 am

tjw wrote:I go to the game to support, period. Then, I go home and watch the game on DVR. Easy!

Excellent first post!!!
vallenato78
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby Llarian » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:49:19 am

vallenato78 wrote:
tjw wrote:I go to the game to support, period. Then, I go home and watch the game on DVR. Easy!

Excellent first post!!!

What he said
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Previous

Return to ECS General