Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Thank you

General ECS talk.

Unread postby anfieldriot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:29:32 pm

I wanted to wait until the off season to give a special thank you to the masses of the ECS.

My wife and I visited over the summer and went to the Timbers Open Cup match, I was the odd man out wearing the Metrostars jersey. We wound up getting 1st class treatment from everyone at Fuel and all the way to the pitch and back. Although I'm only 37, I go way back to the USISL years and supporting the then NJ Eagles and over to the Metrostars. I was and still am Metro through and through but once the Austrians took over, I was done... they killed our culture and our history. For a few years I was a man without a club and found myself disinterested in the MLS.

On a whim, while living in South Florida, my wife and I decided to take a trip out to Seattle and check out the city and of course take in the mother of all derbies, Tims-Sounders. I always knew Seattle had proper support but to me, nothing could eclipse my years standing for the red & black of Metro.... that is until I got here and stood with the ECS at Starfire. Although the result sucked, the passion in the stands was sublime and it rekindled what I thought was lost forever, standing for a US based club team and feeling passion for the crest and the players. The Sounders may have lost that day but the club grabbed a new supporter... I was hooked, I was Sounder green.

Once the bus parked back at Fuel and my wife and I walked off into the city, there was a buzz inside me and even her, that I couldn't shake away. Man oh man it felt good to support a MLS club again, especially one with so much passion around it. When our trip ended, my wife and I looked at each other prior to getting off the plane and we both half heartedly said, let's move to Seattle. Three months later we quit our jobs, packed our cars and drove out here to start something new and fresh. A lot of this had to do with the world class treatment we received from you the ECS... thank you. I'm bad with names but the gentleman who got my wife and I on the bus and worked the mic and beer $$ at the front of the bus was super cool and super friendly, thank you Sir, you and your masses of ECS faithful are now plus 2.

I'm stoked for the season ahead and over the moon to be Sounder green till I die. Thanks to all of you who made that day a special one for the wife and I, we are Sounder green and we proudly stand for the Cascadian Kings of Football. All I need now is a Cam Weaver kit and I'll be happiest Sounder supporter on the West Coast.

Pints up Seattle !
anfieldriot
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby futbolgirl » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:38:34 pm

Brilliant. Welcome home.
futbolgirl
ECS Co-President

Unread postby ericgi » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:10:54 pm

Welcome!

Feel ya on the whole metro thing. Red bull(shit) are evil and ruin football wherever they go.

Anyhow, love to buy you a pint before a match soon!
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby RatCity » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:18:38 pm

See guys! People like us best when we're pissed off! :P

Cool story. Glad to have you on board.
RatCity
Past ECS Member

Unread postby bgk » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:41:06 pm

Welcome to Seattle! Let's catch a pint? Did you get Season Tickets in GA?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
bgk
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Ultra666 » Mon Feb 1, 2016 5:41:30 am

Thanks for posting and welcome!
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby FuzzyForeigner » Mon Feb 1, 2016 8:54:08 am

welcome!
FuzzyForeigner
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Dannicus » Mon Feb 1, 2016 11:40:50 am

Fantastic story. Thanks very much for sharing it with us. Looking forward to seeing you in the stands in a couple weeks.
Dannicus
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby bmvaughn » Mon Feb 1, 2016 7:53:23 pm

WOW! Welcome!
bmvaughn
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Spinfyre » Mon Feb 1, 2016 8:02:18 pm

Great story. Welcome!!
Spinfyre
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby BlueEyedBuddhist » Mon Feb 1, 2016 8:03:05 pm

We're glad you're here!

It's great to hear your passion. That's what it's about!
BlueEyedBuddhist
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby SandraAnni » Mon Feb 1, 2016 8:05:37 pm

One of the toughest days as a supporter, but it showed us all our blood truly runs blue and green, didn't it?! So glad you're part of the family! Welcome home.
SandraAnni
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby TheProblemChild » Mon Feb 1, 2016 8:06:25 pm

Hell Yeah! Welcome to the party! So proud of you guys that took care of these folks and showed them what we're all about!! EBFG
TheProblemChild
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby mikewarbington » Wed Feb 3, 2016 2:40:29 pm

That was a hell of a match to serve as your initiation. Despite the result, the passion of both the players and the fans was on full display that day.
mikewarbington
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby anfieldriot » Tue Feb 9, 2016 4:07:26 pm

mikewarbington wrote:That was a hell of a match to serve as your initiation. Despite the result, the passion of both the players and the fans was on full display that day.

Considering it was an Open Cup derby match, it just made my experience that much more better. I've always loved the Open Cup, I've even run a team which participated in it.... for a true footballing supporter, the Open Cup is special tournament that really brings the domestic sport to it's roots.

My fondest memories of supporting on US soil would be following the Metrostars in the Open Cup... we've had some epic matches in that tourny...although none as epic as the Sounders as Metro only made one final.

Seeing Dempsey melt down in that match along with the supporters was what hooked me, pure passion from everyone. It wasn't just a match, it was hometown pride and a desire to raise the Cup and when it started to go south, everyone cared and everyone gave a little something that blended into what was a fever pitch atmosphere... beautiful stuff....perhaps a little easy for me to say as I wasn't Sounder green till I die at the time but boy oh boy was it great to see so much passion for club and city on display....that's football. It reminded me of a memory that I thought couldn't be equaled, Metros vs Revolution in the 03 Open Cup at Rutgers Univ. A win would of given us of DC Utd, the Scum (seriously, they are worse then Portland). The Revs had a player who was a pure prick, Joey Franchino, he'd foul your grandmother if he could. Well, Joey was in true form that night and he was marking the in form Clint Mathis. Rutgers stadium is a bit smaller than StarFire and in '03, Open Cup attendance was laughable for Sounders standards... 2-3k in total. This small venue and smallish attendance enable my and friends to run up to the pitch from our seats at any given moment to hand our some verbal shit to the Revs....Joey was our marked man, and we reigned down abuse on him from the first whistle. Come the 2nd half he was pissed and even chirping back to us, especially as Clint Mathis was doing him in on most 1v1's in what was a very chippy game. Somewhere at the start of overtime, Joey fouls Clint hard and the passion and liquid courage of our pints came out, we started to ride Clint for not getting into Joey's face.... Clint smiled back to us and gave Joey a good push and BOOM, Joey lost it, he started to fight Clint and the red card came out, Joey was tossed from the game. As he left the pitch, he gave us the finger and moments later Amado Guevara hit the winner to send us through. Joey was sitting off the field of play soaking it all and we ran over to the bleacher railings to rain more abuse on him (it's Jersey, we love to give some verbal abuse). Joey gave us the finger again and he walked into the locker room a defeated man. Metro 2, Revs 1... what a match. I thought this was the pure passion point for me, no match would equal the intensity of this one, especially in such an intimate setting.... that is until I was lucky enough to see the Sounders-Tims this summer.

No more Metro talk from... well, at least this week :) .... Thanks again all, super stuff from all of you that night and I'm over the moon to be sporting Sounder green and a man with a club again. Football is everything in my life and when it comes to the crest, I don't waiver...unless your sold to an Austrian energy drink corporation. I'm down for the cause and can't wait to stand shoulder to should with my fellow Rave Green boyz and girlz. It all starts in two weeks... America is coming to town... let's send a message all the way south of the border.... Stand tall, Stand proud and Stand up for Seattle.
anfieldriot
Emerald City Supporter

Next

Return to ECS General