Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

I Am What Is Wrong In Emerald City Supporters

General ECS talk.

Unread postby PapermakerFC » Sun May 22, 2016 6:53:22 am

Hi, friends. In light of recent events and incredible dramatics that has resulted, I can not hold my thoughts for my return to the States. Something has to be said and I want my stance known on the matter. (Even if it means typing on a tiny phone screen for the next hour.)

If you are anything like me, you came into Emerald City Supporters looking for purpose. On top of any interest and passion you had for the sport and the Sounders who play it, socially we were starved, and this group was a magnificent way to be involved in something someone wise told me was "bigger than ourselves". It's a magnificent feeling and one I may never be able to repay to this group for as long as I will live and try.

It is because of the people we have called our peers and friends who have worked as organizers and leadership of this group that we have this institution and escape from our demanding lives. We all have demanding lives, and because some of us choose to step up to the call and sacrifice their spare time to keep our group breathing and existing to support the team we love.

The fact that the group has grown to a scale that distinguishes itself in numerous denominations in its home state and abroad is telling of how incredibly powerful the group has become. This influence was started by those before us, the giants and their stone shoulders we stand on today. Though their reign and advisory has ended, we should recognize that in a challenging time to manage the ECS, they needed support from all parties involved to make the best decisions to further the group forward. This same support is needed now, and more than ever.

I can say that I have had full confidence in leaderships past, and have that same confidence in the leadership today. They *are* my friends, and they *are* very capable of being the voice for our group. To be judgemental of their decisions from any distance is your choice and you have a right to your opinion, but don't forget that at the end of the day with any involvement and influence you have had in this group, these people have been your friends and this is where you have helped the group become. This group is really bigger than ourselves, and none of us can wash our hands clean of it.

As frustrated as I have ever been in any capacity with the team, the group, or both, I have remained your drummer and your (occasional) media producer since mid-2009. It has not been that long, but long enough to see people come and go for better or for worse. I stayed to help support and justly voice opposition to decisions and directions. I show up for the many who choose to show up. I show up hoping those I used to stand shoulder to shoulder with return.

But they haven't.

Maybe that's on me.

Maybe I haven't tried enough.

Maybe the wrong things were said.

Maybe we should let some dust settle before we can clean up what we can and push forward yet again...

Together.

And, not the way it used to be, but in a way that brings us all together. Where there once was fun was an irreplaceable feeling of uniqueness and carefree expression to how we support the Sounders, and it was embraced by all. None of it was militant and orderly, but social and chaotically powerful. It made it poignant. It hasn't been that way for a long time. Sometimes, if you listen closely, you can feel it from time to time.

So it starts with me.

I'm deciding it has to.

I am what is wrong in Emerald Coty Supporters.

I've decided once my feet land in Seattle again, things will change. I will be a new supporter and a better one for those around me.

And, I want Heather and Tom to lead me to the promise land that I once remembered years ago.

And, I want to support them along the way. I believe they are our best hope in keeping what is left of the family together.

In the meantime, the door is open. Come back to my table, anytime.
PapermakerFC
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Ayatollakhonathan » Sun May 22, 2016 7:25:41 am

I really appreciate the sentiment here. I haven't darkened the door of these forums in a long while, but I also feel the strain you're talking about. I need to get more involved. I wanted to be at the town hall yesterday but I am in Central Washington for a work thing. I am 100% behind our current leadership and intend to support them. I am also quite over histrionics and the controversy of the week cycle we currently seem to be stuck in, with regards to the FO. In the end this shit is supposed to be fun and about supporting our boys. I want more of that (and goals... and wins) in my life.
Ayatollakhonathan
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Skarpian » Sun May 22, 2016 8:49:05 am

Well said brother!
Skarpian
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby Demolition Man » Sun May 22, 2016 9:14:43 am

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I was feeling this during the meeting yesterday, and you put words to it. Let's all be examples of the change we want to see. Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Demolition Man
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby whorocks_dRawks » Sun May 22, 2016 9:17:18 am

Well done, man.

For a long time, I've thought it was just me becoming complacent and going through the motions. My first match with the ECS was back in 2010. The Mike Fucito stoppage time winner against the Wizards. My friend and I didn't have tickets for the GA section that day. We stopped by Fuel before the match and someone told us the easiest way to get into the section without a ticket, and to come join them. So we did. We enjoyed the first half, and then I asked my friend if he wanted to go sit in our actual seats for the second half. His exact words were "no way. This is awesome, and when we score the winning goal, it's going to be right in front of us". So we stayed. That stoppage time goal, and the madness that erupted right after, is something I will never forget. I look back to that feeling often. I miss it. I miss that energy that I used to feel while walking in to the section.

Like you said,
Sometimes, if you listen closely, you can feel it from time to time.

The last time I really felt it was the game where we clenched the Supporters Shield. I cried after Pappa scored that goal. It felt good to feel that way about the club, again. I want to feel that way more. I know there's more that I can do as well, and should start doing. Thanks again for the piece. Very well done.
whorocks_dRawks
Past ECS Member

Unread postby RatCity » Sun May 22, 2016 9:36:35 am

I like rom posts. Thank you.
RatCity
Past ECS Member

Unread postby shieldk2 » Sun May 22, 2016 12:00:30 pm

Thanks.
shieldk2
ECS Leadership

Unread postby DOWNTOWN » Sun May 22, 2016 3:07:15 pm

Good post Rom....thanks for taking time out of your vacation to share the perspective. See you soon.
DOWNTOWN
ECS Leadership

Unread postby ericgi » Sun May 22, 2016 3:50:36 pm

I've been a bit derelict in my duties as well.

Although I thought it was because you didn't need/want a 40-something capo :mrgreen:
ericgi
ECS Founder

Return to ECS General