Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Take Em All

General ECS talk.

Unread postby Mister F » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:27:13 pm

First of all, let me say that I am not an ECS member. I have to say that I really do appreciate the great majority of what ECS brings to the gameday experience. The tifos, the energy, marching are all great. I've even taken advantage of away game group transport in the past and it was super helpful.

That said, I hate the Take Em All chant and cannot fathom why ECS still sings it. The rhythm and beat are actually really nice with the interplay of slow and fast speeds. The lyrics are abhorrent though. I was particularly ashamed last night at the USOC match at Starfire, when within literally 15 minutes of holding a moment of silence for the tragedy in Orlando, it was decided that it would be a good time to sing a song celebrating summary execution. I can't imagine why it is OK to have a chant that glorifies this type of violence.

I wonder if this is something that is ever discussed internally among ECS. What exactly is the main justification to continue using this chant? I certainly would applaud and support any effort to change it.
Mister F
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby aeolsen » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:51:10 pm

We like the chant. It's the actual lyrics to the chorus of a song so this was not actually written by our members. Things we do as supporters are not always going to be family friendly and non offensive to other fans, that's part of being a supporter. We do discuss internally whether we should be promoting new songs or bringing songs out of retirement but ultimately it is up to the capo of the section that day to read the crowd and try and figure out how to harness people's passion to vocally support our boys. Our songs are not literal, we do not wish another player to die, we don't not want our players to actually use their studs intentionally on another player, but we still sing the songs.

We aren't there to create a family atmosphere, we are there to will our team to victory in the best way we can. We trust our capos to read the section and the game and figure out a balance for that. Yes, mistakes are made and not every choice is the best and we discuss after games the pros and cons of things. We have had songs die off because people aren't into it and we move on. It's a process but we react to each situation differently. At Starfire, we are going to use our more aggressive chants because that's the type of atmosphere that works for us there
aeolsen
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby DylanD » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:12:06 pm

It's not to be taken literally. Look up the song by Cock Sparrer.
DylanD
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby RatCity » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:03:11 pm

I dont see a scenario where we stop doing take "them all all" together. We've been doing the song for years. Its been a huge part of ECS' identity. That being said I completely understand your feelings towards it in regards to the recent events in Orlando. Honestly I was so happy to get to support my club last night that its relevance slipped my mind. We began discussing this very subject last night after we sang it. While ECS tends to avoid reacting to things happening around the world i think its very difficult for many of us living in seattle and being surrounded by such a proud LGBTQ sub group like pride to not be effected by what happened in Orlando.In light of that and given that our next match will be pride night at the sounders I made the decision last night that we wont be doing "take them all" at the next match out of respect for those affected in Orlando, those in our own LGBTQ community, and the members of the ECS. I'm sorry if you dont like the song. Not everything the ECS does is going to be liked all the time by all the people. But I do appreciate the feedback and hope the above helps if only a little.

I also would like to note that I have 2 gay sisters. One of which lives just outside of Orlando. So this situation hits very close to home for me. Both me and aeolsen had to go through those moments of panic and concern of the not knowing if she was alright. So while some may find this song or other songs offensive or in poor taste, i find them cathartic. Supporting my club, singing the songs of my club, and watching soccer helps me escape the every day issues. Its how I cope with the world and i know its how many of our members also cope with the world.

At the end of the day its about overcoming your opponent and winning the day.
Cheers
RatCity
Past ECS Member

Unread postby tjw » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:51:44 pm

(Removing my other post that duped this...)

Friends...

I realize I've only been in ECS for a few years, and this song has a history that far predates my support. But, ... Orlando ... on this Pride weekend, I have to say, that I can't sing, even tangentially, for gun violence ever again. I'll continue marching, pogoing, and singing (other songs), but I'll stand silent for this one.
tjw
ECS Leadership

Unread postby RatCity » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:23:49 pm

I think we all can understand and respect your position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RatCity
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SpokaneOakfan » Fri Jul 8, 2016 11:36:20 am

I think this is looking more and more like a good idea. It was my understanding (I am an eastside guy, I get out to games rarely) that the chant was not sung on Pride Night.

In lieu of recent events, and in the spirit of ECS keeping in front of these sorts of things, I think it makes sense to retire this one to the scrap heap. I love the song, i understand that the song itself is about a bunch of pissed off English kids fed up with trying to break into the music business and I have personally identified it with Sounders soccer for many years.

Having said that, it's time. We can do better and we certainly can be better.
SpokaneOakfan
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Ultra666 » Fri Jul 8, 2016 1:31:36 pm

I am all for a rewrite of the lyrics.
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby bgk » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:40:30 pm

I feel like the cultural differences in play here don't trigger the American "glorification of gun violence".

It seems like frustration and venting; something we've all learned to deal with this season.

However, ¡Puto! is now a non-starter for me, especially after I read that the Mexican National Team is against it.

I like that I am part of a community that has these discussions.
bgk
Past ECS Member

Unread postby bgk » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:04:06 pm

My thoughts above still stand, though I won't be sad if this chant disappears from the ECS repertoire
bgk
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ares » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:01:27 am

bgk wrote:My thoughts above still stand, though I won't be sad if this chant disappears from the ECS repertoire

Seconded. Obviously, it is not to be taken literally, but that doesn't change that it is cringeworthy. "Its been part of the ECS identity forever" is not any sort of argument.

Let it go. Move on. Create something new. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
ares
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby Ultra666 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:17:23 am

Yea, who needs traditions.
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby mikewarbington » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:15:23 pm

Ultra666 wrote:Yea, who needs traditions.

That's a weak argument for anything, and a particularly weak argument here.

ECS have lots of strong traditions, and more seem to be adopted each year. Boom boom clap. Born in 1974. The march to the match. The bluest skies. Dozens of other songs and practices. The ECS can afford to drop one tradition that's causing people to be disturbed or offended unnecessarily. Our singular goal is to support our boys on the pitch, and there's no shortage of other songs that we can use to do exactly that.
mikewarbington
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby RatCity » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:43:16 pm

We came to drink
Build a bon fire
Wings of a sparrow
Every anti ref chant
Let him die
Studs up

This is just a small amount of the songs we do that toe a line. Where would you like to draw the line in the sand on people being disturbed or offended unnecessarily. I understand the emotions given recent events. But i dont exactly see people deleting their NWA albums from their music library. So explain to me where we draw the line on what is and isnt "offensive". Im seriously asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RatCity
Past ECS Member

Unread postby tepid » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:12:17 pm

Put em up against the wall
and smooch em.
tepid
ECS Member 2018

Next

Return to ECS General