Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Jon Gyler Memorial 2017 ECS Player of the Year

General ECS talk.

Unread postby futbolgirl » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:07:24 pm

Each year, members of the ECS are invited to vote for their favorite player of the year. The award is officially named "The Jon Glyer Memorial ECS Player of the Year Award" and is named after a fallen ECS brother who, in his short time in the ECS, embodied the mentality we all hold so dear.

This award is not just presented to the player with the most goals or the most assists. This award it presented to the player who best embodies the values that we, as supporters, hold so dear. It's about the passion and the pride. It's about the players who, week after week, leave it all on the pitch; the moments in time that prove their love for this City and Crest.

Previous winners have been Keller, Alonso, Rosales, Gspurning, Evans, Scott, Frei, and Roldan.

One vote per membership; Winner will be announced at the End of Season Party.
futbolgirl
ECS Co-President

Unread postby Nicholaus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:08:28 pm

For me personally I have a rule where I always vote for someone who hasn’t previously been a winner of the award. Don’t get me wrong, there are past winners who would be very deserving of winning multiple times. I believe that this award is special to our group, and our team has so many players that embody the qualities that we are looking for, I just try to spread it out.

This year I feel like my choice comes down to Nicolas Lodeiro, Chad Marshall, Jordan Morris and Roman Torres. I may have to wait a little bit before committing my final decision.

Also, might need to change the final voter option on the poll to Henry, not Hanry.
Nicholaus
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Llarian » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:24:28 pm

Nicholaus wrote:For me personally I have a rule where I always vote for someone who hasn’t previously been a winner of the award. Don’t get me wrong, there are past winners who would be very deserving of winning multiple times. I believe that this award is special to our group, and our team has so many players that embody the qualities that we are looking for, I just try to spread it out.

This year I feel like my choice comes down to Nicolas Lodeiro, Chad Marshall, Jordan Morris and Roman Torres. I may have to wait a little bit before committing my final decision.

Also, might need to change the final voter option on the poll to Henry, not Hanry.

That isn't a formal rule, but given that nobody has won twice, a lot of other people seem to share that point of view.
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby futbolgirl » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:55:24 pm

I voted for Clint Dempsey. No one but us (and not even all of us) seems to like him, and he really doesn't fucking care.
futbolgirl
ECS Co-President

Unread postby SeattleCalcio » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:33:34 pm

I've never voted for a repeat winner before, but this year I had to vote for Roldan. He's such a tough kid.
SeattleCalcio
ECS Leadership

Unread postby Antiei30 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:54:17 pm

My immediate choice is Roldan. But i think I am contemplating Dempsey. Not for goal scoring but for how he has handled himself this year & how he seems to have made huge strides on his passion for this club & city. Im going with Roldan for now though.
Antiei30
ECS Leadership

Unread postby martinrcorpus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:55:13 pm

I’m probably gonna vote Gustav. He’s exemplified the mentality of next person up and has filled in many positions and has both been a leader and a quick learner on the team. As ECS is volunteer-run, we also hope for that next person up mentality when we need extra hands in the work we do to support the boys.

Lots of other close second-votes though for me. Gonna wait just a bit longer before I officially decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
martinrcorpus
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Ultra666 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:23:48 am

There are some really deserving choices this season. Not sure who I am going to go with yet...
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby Llarian » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:12:46 am

Ultra666 wrote:There are some really deserving choices this season. Not sure who I am going to go with yet...

Agreed. This year is hard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby shieldk2 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:30:20 am

futbolgirl wrote:I voted for Clint Dempsey. No one but us (and not even all of us) seems to like him, and he really doesn't fucking care.

QFT. Can not argue against this logic.
shieldk2
ECS Leadership

Unread postby shieldk2 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:33:22 am

martinrcorpus wrote:I’m probably gonna vote Gustav. He’s exemplified the mentality of next person up and has filled in many positions and has both been a leader and a quick learner on the team. As ECS is volunteer-run, we also hope for that next person up mentality when we need extra hands in the work we do to support the boys.

This is a fantastic argument for voting Gustav.
shieldk2
ECS Leadership

Unread postby Nicholaus » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:33:30 am

Damn, one of my favorite threads of the year is this one. I always enjoy hearing people explain their choices and my two favorite examples of this are the arguments for Dempsey and Gustav. Neither of them were on my initial short list, but now I'm reconsidering.
Nicholaus
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby shieldk2 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:53:54 am

Nicholaus wrote:Damn, one of my favorite threads of the year is this one. I always enjoy hearing people explain their choices and my two favorite examples of this are the arguments for Dempsey and Gustav. Neither of them were on my initial short list, but now I'm reconsidering.

Seriously. Part of me felt like I may have rushed my vote. I like to wait and read the debate that ensues, but I decided and dove in. After those two comments I was definitely reconsidering.
shieldk2
ECS Leadership

Unread postby wfavinger » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:20:46 pm

Definitely a hard vote this year -- I've also decided not to vote for previous winners because otherwise I'd vote for Frei every year.

I'm still undecided but will throw a potential dark horse name out there in Bruin. I never would've expected him to be in the running going into the season but have been impressed with his relentless effort on the pitch, especially when things aren't going our way.
wfavinger
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby shieldk2 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:33:10 pm

wfavinger wrote:...relentless effort on the pitch, especially when things aren't going our way.

Exactly why I hated when we played against him.
shieldk2
ECS Leadership

Next

Return to ECS General