Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

ECSPL Ask-A-Ref Thread (FAQs, Rule Updates, Etc.)

Unread postby blurrygil » Mon Apr 2, 2012 10:54:06 am

Welcome to your ECS Pub League Official Referee Thread!

Here, we will update everyone in the Pub League about everything official. Things such as match reviews and rule updates. And we'll even do some good ol' Q&A on any questions you may have for myself or the other referees. I'll try and keep the OP updated here, as well.

**Please keep this thread civil.**

--------------------------------
Updated: 4.24.14

Question: In regards to goalkeepers throwing/kicking the ball beyond the center line, does this rule apply only if the ball goes beyond the center line prior to contact with the pitch? Or does the ball bouncing/rolling beyond the center line considered illegal as well?

Answer: Only initial contact with the ground will be considered. The spirit of the rule is to prevent the goalkeepers from essentially punting the ball back and forth between each other and preventing much of the play that would normally occur with field players, due to the very short field lengths. If the ball bounces and rolls past the center line without contact, this will not be considered a violation of the rule. Be aware that any violations that do occur will be handled via verbal warnings first and foremost. Only in extreme circumstances, based on the referee's determination, will a caution for delaying the game should occur.

Question: May another player or person, who is not an active player on the field, offer to retrieve balls sent off the property? Or must the player who kicked the ball be required to do so?

Answer: Yes, anyone is welcome to retrieve the ball. However, if no one volunteers to do so, the referee may require the player who put the ball outside of the property to substitute off to retrieve it. The referee also has discretion as to whether or not a new ball may be used instead; such as in a game in its final minutes or stoppage time.

***PAST QUESTIONS***

Question: Can the goalie go to ground sliding for a ball? Goalie comes off their line and slides to get to ball while the shot is being taken and the goalie is still in the penalty area. There was contact. Should this have been a yellow? Should it have been a PK?

Answer: Yes, the goalkeeper is legal in going to ground for a ball that comes into their penalty area.

Even upon making contact with an attacking player, the goalkeeper has every right to defend the penalty area. The goalkeeper is generally in much more danger during plays in the penalty area than the field players. Therefore, it is the referee's responsibility to ensure they are protected. Even when there is contact in the box, the attacking player is most responsible for any contact made. Therefore, it is in the best interest of the attacker to avoid getting into these situations with the opposing goalkeeper.

With that said, However, there are limitations. Much like a sliding tackle on a player with possession, it is paramount that the tackle be from a safe position and with winning of the ball cleanly. If the goalkeeper fouls the attacking player, this will likely result in a penalty kick from the spot and potentially a booking or sending off.

Question: In a half-pitch sized game, can a player be offside while still in their own half?

Answer: No, a player cannot be offside in their own half.

This can be very difficult to judge for a referee in the ECSPL. However, as in full-sized matches, we will adhere to the rule of a player needing to be in their opponent's half before they can be declared offside. As always, the center official will make final determination as to an offensive player's position when the ball is played forward.

Question: When can a player be substituted in the Pub League? And how many times can a team do it?

Answer: A player can only be substituted, whether it's a half-pitch or full-pitch match, when the ball is out of play. And in the ECSPL, a team may use as many substitutes as they want over the course of a match.

All substitutions must adhere to the following guidelines:

- The player coming in may only enter from near the center line, from the technical-area side of the pitch.
- The substitute cannot put their total number of players above 7 in a half-pitch match and 11 in a full-pitch match.
- Substitutions must be done in a timely manner and cannot be performed in order to delay the game. The referee holds full discretion to warn or book a player for delaying the game with frequent or unnecessary substitutes.

Question: Hey, the ball bounced off of [the referee] and the other team nearly scored!! Can the other team do this? Even if the result of the ball coming off the referee gives them such an advantage?

Answer: To answer the question directly; yes, the other team may play the ball directly off of the referee as long as they are not in an offside position.

The referee is considered to be part of the field of play. This includes the woodwork of the goal and the corner flags. Please be particularly aware of this during half-pitch matches.

Do you have a question for myself or any of the ECSPL referees? Feel free to PM one of us or even post in this thread. We'll do our best to answer them!
Last edited by blurrygil on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
blurrygil
Past ECS Member

Unread postby BlueEyedBuddhist » Fri Apr 6, 2012 12:33:44 am

Is there something about the shirt that makes your vision go all to shite when you put it on?
BlueEyedBuddhist
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby BlueEyedBuddhist » Fri Apr 6, 2012 12:36:48 am

No, seriously... how about this: With the emphasis on fun, are we going to have any specific rule modifications (like Co-Rec has the no-challenging-from-behind rule) to try and make the game easier for new folks?

Or can you speak to the refs' philosophy in terms of challenges with the situation- men v women, more experienced players vs newer folks?

(My personal input is the emphasis in Pub League is A) Fun and B) Learning and C) More Fun, so folks with mad skilz should dial it back a notch and work to involve everyone in the game; and that the refs should call it fairly tight so a physical side of the game matters much less than simply slowing things down a notch and playing a smart game with creativity and passing.)
BlueEyedBuddhist
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Bathos » Fri Apr 6, 2012 7:23:02 am

Will you be posting the league specific rules here, by any chance?
Bathos
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby blurrygil » Fri Apr 6, 2012 7:57:45 am

Bathos wrote:Will you be posting the league specific rules here, by any chance?

I gueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeess... :roll:

jk, it shall be done soon.
blurrygil
Past ECS Member

Unread postby bobdavisnpf » Fri Apr 6, 2012 10:17:28 am

BlueEyedBuddhist wrote:No, seriously... how about this: With the emphasis on fun, are we going to have any specific rule modifications (like Co-Rec has the no-challenging-from-behind rule) to try and make the game easier for new folks?

Or can you speak to the refs' philosophy in terms of challenges with the situation- men v women, more experienced players vs newer folks?

(My personal input is the emphasis in Pub League is A) Fun and B) Learning and C) More Fun, so folks with mad skilz should dial it back a notch and work to involve everyone in the game; and that the refs should call it fairly tight so a physical side of the game matters much less than simply slowing things down a notch and playing a smart game with creativity and passing.)

I'd also like to see something along these lines.

Now that we have teams and a couple hours' playing time together, as players we should be getting more discerning about these on-the-fly snap decisions (ie if I see a better player barreling in to contest a loose or passed ball, I'll give up the chase even if I'm closer because he's faster and I'll get hurt).

I don't expect the refs to call the better players over-tight just to give the lower-skill players an artificially improved chance. But it would be good I think if the refs can keep helping us set the tone for a more-relaxed style of play from the best, to allow everyone in on the fun. A lot of these matches could basically be 2-on-2 with 8 extras jogging up and down the pitch, getting occasional quick touches and knockdowns along the way. If that's how it pans out, I'll still have a blast being an extra, after all the better players deserve to be there: they've put in the work to develop, and should enjoy the benefits that come with superior fitness and skill. But the basic starting point for Pub League, in my mind, is to build a more-social, less-competitive activity: a place to play for those whose fitness and skill are at a lower level with fewer prospects for improvement to a D-8 level, and a place where our better players can come to play socially with friends they're otherwise placed into different-level teams from.
bobdavisnpf
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby foobar » Fri Apr 6, 2012 10:38:02 am

Bob, I agree - players that are used to playing in some of the more competitive leagues/divisions should be toning it down. I play competitively a couple times a week - that isn't why I wanted to come out for Pub League. I want to play in a more relaxed atmosphere with friends, work more on distributing the ball, control, and have some fun (along the lines of a pickup game) - not go flying in for every challenge.

Obviously the referee's will decide what is a foul, reckless, etc - but I hope that those players with higher level skills/fitness will play accordingly so we all have a good time on Saturday.
foobar
Past ECS Member

Unread postby blurrygil » Fri Apr 6, 2012 11:53:03 am

bobdavisnpf wrote:
BlueEyedBuddhist wrote:No, seriously... how about this: With the emphasis on fun, are we going to have any specific rule modifications (like Co-Rec has the no-challenging-from-behind rule) to try and make the game easier for new folks?

I'd also like to see something along these lines.

Now that we have teams and a couple hours' playing time together, as players we should be getting more discerning about these on-the-fly snap decisions (ie if I see a better player barreling in to contest a loose or passed ball, I'll give up the chase even if I'm closer because he's faster and I'll get hurt).

I don't expect the refs to call the better players over-tight just to give the lower-skill players an artificially improved chance. But it would be good I think if the refs can keep helping us set the tone for a more-relaxed style of play from the best, to allow everyone in on the fun. A lot of these matches could basically be 2-on-2 with 8 extras jogging up and down the pitch, getting occasional quick touches and knockdowns along the way. If that's how it pans out, I'll still have a blast being an extra, after all the better players deserve to be there: they've put in the work to develop, and should enjoy the benefits that come with superior fitness and skill. But the basic starting point for Pub League, in my mind, is to build a more-social, less-competitive activity: a place to play for those whose fitness and skill are at a lower level with fewer prospects for improvement to a D-8 level, and a place where our better players can come to play socially with friends they're otherwise placed into different-level teams from.

As referees, it's not for us to "dictate" the happenings during the match. As many have said, including you guys, it's a social and fun activity. And I hope everyone realizes this. Coaches/league managers should really communicate this before each fixture, every week.

But certainly, as officials, we'll do our best to keep everyone safe via the rules. 8-)
blurrygil
Past ECS Member

Unread postby BlueEyedBuddhist » Fri Apr 6, 2012 5:48:38 pm

foobar wrote:Obviously the referee's will decide what is a foul, reckless, etc - but I hope that those players with higher level skills/fitness will play accordingly so we all have a good time on Saturday.

It's actually a good way for the more-skilled folks to work on their touch with their non-dominant foot. Seriously.

As a teenager our coach set up a regular scrimmage (excuse me, "friendly") against a team two years younger than us, but the rule was we had to try and do all our traps and could only kick with our "other" foot. That evened the playing field up REALLY fast.

So maybe we throw that out as a challenge to the really good guys- if your team gets up by 3 or 4 goals, only use your stupid foot instead of your dominant one.

Of course, we could also take a player off the pitch if a team goes up by several goals. That's also a good learning tool, because it means the team with the advantage should ALWAYS have an open teammate; it should force them to pass more/better.

I guess the real question is what balance do we want between "fun/learning" and "let's play".
BlueEyedBuddhist
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby blurrygil » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:04:28 pm

**BUMP**

This is the official thread for all questions or concerns regarding ECSPL rules, procedures and their associated levels of enforcement. We will also occasionally add FAQs that receive from folks as well. If you have a question, please be clear and concise on all of the factors.
blurrygil
Past ECS Member

Unread postby timetoeatfood » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:18:55 pm

On the matter of more skilled players: The coaches really need to be the ones to get the skilled players to tone it down - and I emphasize the fact that they need to do it. The referees are there to referee and players hearing it from the other team are likely to write it off to whining, but I've already noticed a few players that are able to dribble through 3-4 people and score several times a game. One of those players in particular was also pretty physical - we need to nip that in the bud if we want to keep it social.
timetoeatfood
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby cethe » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:37:03 pm

I imagine we'll hear clarification on the "1/2 pitch clearance" rule soon, here?
cethe
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby SeattleCalcio » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:21:54 pm

Rules Thread wrote:Each team must be able to field a minimum of 5 players at all times during official ECSPL matches (half pitch), with a maximum of seven (8) players.

Uhhhh 7 or 8? I've asked this in the fall season thread and been ignored, so I'll try here too. How many players are supposed to be on the field???
SeattleCalcio
ECS Co-President

Unread postby blurrygil » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:41:11 am

SeattleCalcio wrote:
Rules Thread wrote:Each team must be able to field a minimum of 5 players at all times during official ECSPL matches (half pitch), with a maximum of seven (8) players.

Uhhhh 7 or 8? I've asked this in the fall season thread and been ignored, so I'll try here too. How many players are supposed to be on the field???

Nice catch! That should read eight (8).

cethe wrote:I imagine we'll hear clarification on the "1/2 pitch clearance" rule soon, here?

And yes, there's been some discussion about it and I'm putting together a fairly elaborate response. Thanks for your patience!
blurrygil
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SeattleCalcio » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:47:21 am

blurrygil wrote:
SeattleCalcio wrote:

Nice catch! That should read eight (8).

OK, that's different than the first 2 weeks of fixtures. Will it be 8 starting in week 3?
SeattleCalcio
ECS Co-President

Next

Return to ECS Pub League