Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

ECSPL Ask-A-Ref Thread (FAQs, Rule Updates, Etc.)

Unread postby cethe » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:12:06 am

blurrygil wrote:
cethe wrote:I imagine we'll hear clarification on the "1/2 pitch clearance" rule soon, here?

And yes, there's been some discussion about it and I'm putting together a fairly elaborate response. Thanks for your patience!

excellent, thank you.

Depending on your view, i might suggest the following change

"at no point may the goalkeeper kick the ball past the halfway point of the pitch."

In the original wording, the inclusion of "after use of hands" does not seem to meet the criteria that has been enforced last week.
cethe
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby afecks » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:22:10 pm

cethe wrote:
blurrygil wrote:
cethe wrote:I imagine we'll hear clarification on the "1/2 pitch clearance" rule soon, here?

And yes, there's been some discussion about it and I'm putting together a fairly elaborate response. Thanks for your patience!

excellent, thank you.

Depending on your view, i might suggest the following change

"at no point may the goalkeeper kick the ball past the halfway point of the pitch."

In the original wording, the inclusion of "after use of hands" does not seem to meet the criteria that has been enforced last week.

Judicious use of ref discretion would be needed, since the GK can play up as a field player, and if he crossed the halfway line, any kick of the ball would likely be a violation. Likewise, if the GK has come out of his area toward the halfway line, it becomes less and less of a "problem" for him to kick the ball beyond the halfway line. Granted neither of those things are likely to happen on half pitch pub league matches, but I'm not sure that kind of subjectivity would be a good thing. I would say something like "the GK is prohibited from kicking the ball beyond the halfway line when his possession is not contested, and he first touched the ball within X yards of the goal line." X being whatever is appropriate and reasonably determinable during play - probably whatever the distance the penalty area is, so those markings can be used as a reference for both GK and ref. The inclusion of "and he first touched the ball within X" is intended to allow the GK to kick it beyond the halfway line when legitimately acting as a field player, but disallow things like the GK receiving the ball close to the goal line, playing it forward beyond the "X" point, then punting it.
afecks
Past ECS Member

Unread postby timetoeatfood » Thu Oct 3, 2013 3:15:10 pm

I would actually go in reverse - when I was a GK, I played more of a "super sweeper" role because I knew the odds of someone having the accuracy to score from across the field was slim. Also, in the first season of pub league, the rule was clarified that a GK could drop the ball to his feet (become a "field player") and boot it upfield - this was allowed because suddenly the GK was being ignored completely and people were being over-marked.

The issue to me is a matter of strategy - I consider it good practice for GKs to feed it short to the wings, since possession is king in Pub League. However, if everyone is covered and the deep threat is ignored, then I have no problem with the GK sending it up to the forwards, even if it crosses over the mid-line. This is what caused a goal in week 2 - the defense had pressed up so high that it made sense for the GK to send it over the top, giving the forward a breakaway. However, when the GKs send it over the top every single time, it makes the game silly and ridiculous. That's why I liked the previous interpretation - that GKs will be warned if the ball starts carrying too far but play won't be stopped unless it becomes an actual problem.
timetoeatfood
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby BlueEyedBuddhist » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:45:29 pm

BlueEyedBuddhist wrote:Is there something about the shirt that makes your vision go all to shite when you put it on?

My, my, my, how the tables have turned. Karma's gonna kick my ass.
BlueEyedBuddhist
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Llarian » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:04:46 pm

BlueEyedBuddhist wrote:
BlueEyedBuddhist wrote:Is there something about the shirt that makes your vision go all to shite when you put it on?

Yeeeaaaahhhh, you're gonna pay for that one.
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby blurrygil » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:05:57 pm

Hey all!

I plan to do my best and keep up with this thread again. Particularly, there are lots of new questions regarding the new and recently amended rules. Many of these questions may also be found on the official ECSPL Facebook Page. I'll be updating the OP with some of this season's new questions and answers.
blurrygil
Past ECS Member

Unread postby blurrygil » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:08:32 pm

BlueEyedBuddhist wrote:

This is hilarious... :lol:
blurrygil
Past ECS Member

Previous

Return to ECS Pub League