Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Pub League Feedback

Unread postby casey133 » Mon Jul 8, 2013 8:22:53 pm

Where you happy with how were the team and rosters managed Yes - the tight table supports this.
Where you happy with how were the games were managed Yes - I hadn't played soccer with a coach since I was 13, it was great having someone offering tactics and pointers.
Where you happy with how were the games were reffed Yes - and I'll second some need to be lourder with the whistle and the calls.
Where you happy with the field, ball, kit conditions Great field, balls, nets and the shirts were a really nice touch.
Where you happy with the locations and times Yes - but I'm biased (CC resident).

How many players should be on a roster? How many is too many? Absentees were a problem on our team. And I thought the games were better when played 8v8 than sevens. I recommend having a two tier membership, one full, and one for reserves with the expectation they will float and may get less playing time, all in a effort to keep the sides playing at 8v8.
Should we expand the league to more teams? If we do how would the 11 a side work? I'm in favor of sacrificing the 11v11 for more teams.
Should we scratch 11 a side in favor of a bigger league? Yes.
Should teams be allowed to stay together? Yes.
Can we allow pre-built teams? How would they be judged skill wise to be make sure they are kept within the spirit of ECSPL? If by pre-built you mean like if a group joined Pub League and asked to stay together, than I am against this. They may have too much of a competitive advantage and be too exclusive and therefore against the spirit of Pub League.
The pricing for Pub League will move to the club pricing which is $10-12 per game on average? Would this affect your decision to play? I'm fine with this. Maybe offer scholarships!

Regarding the player levels. I like how each team was salted with a few folks that had more experience than most. I learned from these folks, and enjoyed watching them play. When we had the chance to have reserves from the FC teams, that was fun too. I would like to see any of the reserve "ringers" be restricted from scoring however.

Overall, it was really fun. I played indoor for about nine months on two teams a few years ago and didn't have half the fun I did in Pub League. The spirit of fun, and camaraderie was really special. Pub League helps get ECS members involved and builds relationships, another added value of membership.

Too all of the volunteer coaches, refs and managers - you should be really proud of making 75 people's Saturday's worth getting up a little early for. Well done!
casey133
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Der Sounder Schaft » Tue Jul 9, 2013 1:18:59 pm

Would anyone be interested in scrapping the 11 a side and increasing the length of the short sided games?
Der Sounder Schaft
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Llarian » Tue Jul 9, 2013 1:28:11 pm

Der Sounder Schaft wrote:Would anyone be interested in scrapping the 11 a side and increasing the length of the short sided games?

Given adequate subs, yeah, I'd be interested in that. (You thinking a full 90 minute match?)
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby UnitedSounder » Tue Jul 9, 2013 1:36:41 pm

Der Sounder Schaft wrote:Would anyone be interested in scrapping the 11 a side and increasing the length of the short sided games?

I'd be cool with that. A second game would be better, I think. I didn't feel like the games were too short last season.
UnitedSounder
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Der Sounder Schaft » Tue Jul 9, 2013 2:12:01 pm

Llarian wrote:

Given adequate subs, yeah, I'd be interested in that. (You thinking a full 90 minute match?)

Maybe work out way towards that, yeah. 90 min of short sided would be brutal for most people no matter the fitness level. At this point we're just trying to creative ideas flowing.
Der Sounder Schaft
Past ECS Member

Unread postby PapermakerFC » Tue Jul 9, 2013 2:23:52 pm

More time for warmups/team-practice would be stupendous.
PapermakerFC
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby phlebotomist » Tue Jul 9, 2013 2:36:00 pm

I'd definitely be up for longer games. One pleasant side-effect I found to regular attendance at Pub League (and a little jogging during the week) was that as the season wore on, my cardio conditioning improved, so by the end of the season, the games seemed over way too soon.

An interest of mine that was satisfied by 11v11 but that might conflict with other PL priorities was being able to play on the same side as people normally on other teams. Maybe the second hour, the teams that played each other during the first hour would mix their rosters? OK, not a great idea, but I wonder if there's a way to achieve some amount of mixing things up while still achieving other PL goals.
phlebotomist
Past ECS Member

Unread postby casey133 » Tue Jul 9, 2013 4:03:46 pm

20-30min of organized practice before the matches would do wonders.
casey133
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby SuperCodyNC » Tue Jul 9, 2013 4:17:43 pm

Were you happy with how were the team and rosters managed?
I was extremely happy with management. I had a knowledgeable gaffer who not only helped develop our play, but introduced us to tactics to make us better players and supporters. While there were some “ringer” subs, the actual rosters were very well balanced.

Were you happy with how the games were managed?
Yes. There was good subbing on our squad, when subs were available.

Were you happy with how the games were reffed?
Generally yes. I would like a little bit more explanation after a whistle is blown. And a louder whistle.

Were you happy with the field, ball, and kit conditions?
More balls would be nice, as there were many stops in play to climb that damn fence.

Were you happy with the locations and times?
I think the location was excellent. We may need a larger area if there are to be more teams, though. I did like a 10 am start better, however.

Should we expand the league to more teams? If we do how would the 11 a side work?
I think if the interest is there, we should increase the number of teams. We will need more refs though. If we could get 6 teams, and 3 refs, and a large enough area, we could run three games, and then have a full side match.

Should we scratch 11 a side in favor of a bigger league?
If a bigger league makes 11 a side untenable, then I’m ok with ending full pitch matches. They are fun, but I think the focus should be on the league.

Should teams be allowed to stay together?
I love me some Censored!, but meeting folks is half the fun. So I have to say no.

Can we allow prebuilt teams? How would they be judged skill wise to be make sure they are kept within the spirit of ECSPL?[/b
No.

[b]The pricing for Pub League will move to the club pricing which is $10-12 per game on average? Would this affect your decision to play?

I’m still in.
SuperCodyNC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby PapermakerFC » Tue Jul 9, 2013 6:30:35 pm

SuperCodyNC wrote:Were you happy with how were the team and rosters managed?
I was extremely happy with management. I had a knowledgeable gaffer who not only helped develop our play, but introduced us to tactics to make us better players and supporters. While there were some “ringer” subs, the actual rosters were very well balanced.

I heard that guy is a total douchecanoe.
PapermakerFC
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby tcfreddy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:46:49 am

Were you happy with how the games were reffed?

The whistles could have been louder. There were several times I had no idea what was going on because I didn't know play had been stopped. Also, I thought the "no play from behind" rule was inconsistently enforced. It seemed like it was okay to shove someone in the back to move them off the ball, yet when I toe-poked a ball away from between a guy's feet without making the slightest contact with him, I got whistled for a "dangerous play."

Were you happy with the locations and times?

I liked the location just fine, but I prefer Sunday to Saturday--don't know if that's an option, though.

Should we expand the league to more teams? If we do how would the 11 a side work?

More teams would be nice. It seemed like we were usually short on subs for 11 v. 11, so if we didn't expand too much, it might not be a problem, at least as far as fielding the teams.

Should we scratch 11 a side in favor of a bigger league?

I really liked 11-a-side. It gave me a chance to play with other players in the league. The fact that no one really cared about the outcome took some of the pressure off playing well. My skills are rather limited, and it was nice knowing one botched pass wouldn't blow my team's standing in the league table.

If 11-a-side is scratched, I would lobby to increase the time of the small-sided matches. With all the subbing in and out, I don't think I ever played more than 30 minutes. The 11-a-side gave me a chance to play more. It doesn't have to be a full 90, but I'd like to play more than half an hour.

Should teams be allowed to stay together?

I think that would be okay, provided the teams get shuffled around if there's an obvious imbalance. I imagine each team will have a few players that can't make the fall league, so that would leave some roster spots open for the fresh blood.

Can we allow prebuilt teams? How would they be judged skill wise to be make sure they are kept within the spirit of ECSPL?

As long as they don't get too butt hurt about the possibility of getting split up to correct an imbalance, I don't see how it's any different than allowing teams to stay together.

The pricing for Pub League will move to the club pricing which is $10-12 per game on average? Would this affect your decision to play?

Nope.
tcfreddy
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby cethe » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:53:21 pm

PapermakerFC wrote:More time for warmups/team-practice would be stupendous.

I would also advocate for some coaching/team practice time between warm ups & actually playing
cethe
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby afecks » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:17:39 pm

Just to add a thought, having not played or reffed this summer..the full pitch match is good for the refs too. It requires the refs to focus a little more on their positioning, whereas the short pitch is more forgiving of bad position. I don't know how it went this year, but last year, when we really only had 3 refs, there were no ARs on the short pitch match, so it was nice to have the opportunity to do it "for real" with the full pitch. But I also wouldn't want to artificially limit the size of the league just for the sake of a full pitch match.
afecks
Past ECS Member

Unread postby timetoeatfood » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:53:02 pm

I know I already chimed in, but I had a few additional thoughts/new answers based on additional thinking.

"Prebuilt" - For a full team, no, but if someone is joining specifically because a friend/significant other is playing then some leeway could be afforded, as long as it was understood that they could be broken up if it caused an imbalance.

Full-field: I personally love doing both and love how the full-field mixes the teams up. I'd prefer to keep it if possible.

Other thoughts: The idea of a pre-game practice is a fantastic one.
timetoeatfood
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby uhlenkott » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:05:23 pm

I think a lot of people have already addressed and discussed most of what I'm gonna say, but I'm saying it anyways :)

The most important items that I feel are no prebuilt teams and that we need to start off with more people per team than in the past two seasons so we don't have to deal with judging subs ability to play.

Also I strongly feel that you can't put players on the field and tell them that they can't do something like score. If they are 'too good' for the league they should not be on the field in the first place. I also think this is true for the 11 side matches as well. I love the Pub League, tons of fun, and great people.

Where you happy with how were the team and rosters managed - Yes
Where you happy with how were the games were managed - Yes
Where you happy with how were the games were reffed - Yes
Where you happy with the field, ball, kit conditions - Yes. I liked Woodland Park a lot better though.
Where you happy with the locations and times - I like the 11:30 time slot a ton better than 9am. Ideally start time after 10 and before 1.

There are many open questions that where feed back would be appreciated on the future of ECSPL. Such as:

How many players should be on a roster? How many is too many? - So we need more starting players per team than we had the last two seasons. Looking for subs in the middle of the season doesn't work due to not being able to judge the ability level of the sub coming onboard.
Should we expand the league to more teams? If we do how would the 11 a side work? Yes - Double up the league so you'd have 2 double 11 a side games going at once.
Should we scratch 11 a side in favor of a bigger league? - I would say whatever works best. I could care less about the 11 a side game
Should teams be allowed to stay together? - Yes. This leads to all the other statements on how to keep things competitive between the teams though.
Can we allow prebuilt teams? How would they be judged skill wise to be make sure they are kept within the spirit of ECSPL? - No prebuilt teams. Prebuilts are sometimes clicky and don't want to associate with people outside their group. The best part of the Pub League is everyone meeting and interacting together.
The pricing for Pub League will move to the club pricing which is $10-12 per game on average? Would this affect your decision to play? - I think anything below $15 is reasonable.
uhlenkott
ECS Member 2020

PreviousNext

Return to ECS Pub League