Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

2013 ECSPL Fall Season Official Thread

Unread postby tepid » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:17:14 pm

Just want to say that this is incredibly fun for me. Love getting the opportunity to play this sport again. A big 'Thank You' to the people who have volunteered their time to create and maintain this thing. And thank you to my teammates and opponents who show up and play. We're all learning (and re-learning) as we go.

So fun, so glad I joined.

Up the ECS!
tepid
Past ECS Member

Unread postby blurrygil » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:43:32 pm

We <3 you too, Matt. :)
blurrygil
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Jabsco » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:02:30 am

Curious on a rule clarification. Regarding the half-field clearance from goalkeepers - I thought this rule only applied to controlled clearances - goalkicks, throws, and the like. We were called for this a couple times when our GK was outside the box, so essentially just another field player. Do field players get called for clearing the ball longer than half field?
Jabsco
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby tepid » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:31:32 am

Won't be able to make it this week, unfortunately.

I was shorted my black XL shirt, so if that could be brought to the fixtures happening in two weeks I'd appreciate it. Or ship it to me, whatever. No rush.
tepid
Past ECS Member

Unread postby jacktackular » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:59:35 am

Jabsco wrote:Curious on a rule clarification. Regarding the half-field clearance from goalkeepers - I thought this rule only applied to controlled clearances - goalkicks, throws, and the like. We were called for this a couple times when our GK was outside the box, so essentially just another field player. Do field players get called for clearing the ball longer than half field?

the point of the rule is to stop the game from being reduced to long balls forward & to keep the 1 or 2 goalkeepers able to hit long balls accurately & consistently from being an unfair advantage. The GK box is tiny in Pub League and letting the goalkeeper send the ball 3/4 of the field simply by stepping outside of their area would have the same affect and is illegal.

the difference when a field player sends a clearance across the entire field is the position of the rest of players...usually on a clearance you are under pressure and the clearance goes harmlessly into the back-field or an on-side forward is able to make a sprint to get on the end of it alone. This doesn't constitute an unfair advantage. If there was a dead ball just outside of the GK box and you had a field player go back and attempt a 3/4 field long-ball into the box this would also be illegal.

this rule is ultimately designed to force controlled passing and teamwork...if a team is trying to bypass playing through the middle of the field, then we are likely to blow the whistle.

hope this helps :D
jacktackular
Past ECS Member

Unread postby cethe » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:30:23 am

That actually muddies it up more for me.

here's the rule as posted by Gil (since it's a locked thread you can't direct quote)
"•In ECSPL games (half-pitch), assigned goalkeepers may only punt (after use of the hands) or throw the ball no father than the "center line" of the pitch. This rule is enforced at the discretion of the referee."

It's pretty clear on "after use of hands" and "assigned goalkeeper"

So, it seems to me a keeper that has not touched the ball with his hands inside or outside the box should be able to clear the ball however far he can or wants to.

The rules say nothing of a dead ball situation and another field player taking the kick.

IMO, this rule was not properly enforced in either of our matches this past saturday. one of which directly lead to a goal.
cethe
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby jacktackular » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:18:52 am

cethe wrote:
IMO, this rule was not properly enforced in either of our matches this past Saturday. one of which directly lead to a goal.

As the rule states,this is at the referee's discretion. The rule is designed to prevent booting the ball down the length of the field and has been pretty uniformly applied to prevent that from happening.

On the goal you are referring to, the ball landed within a few feet of the center of the pitch and I immediately waived play on...On that kick it would have been harsh to blow the play dead. I am sorry that you disagree with the call, but I have yet to play a match where I agreed with every call the ref made.
jacktackular
Past ECS Member

Unread postby cethe » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:55:06 pm

the way the rule reads, it should not be expanded at the referee's descretion, but only enforced.
that would seem to me that it should be uniformly applied to the whole match, for every kick from the keeper or not at all.

But our primary question is about the goalkeeper clearing the ball in or outside the box, when they have not touched the ball before hand. Including free kicks and "run of play clearances".
Last spring it was only enforced on dead ball situations, which is how i expected it to be applied this season as well.
cethe
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby blurrygil » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:55:45 pm

I'll start a separate thread covering this. If anyone has anything to add other than what was discussed in this thread, please PM me.
blurrygil
Past ECS Member

Previous

Return to ECS Pub League