Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Geocaching

Talk about anything here.

Unread postby Alaskan Sounder » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:28:32 pm

Thought I'd post a topic here curious if any ECS crew are also into Geocaching?
I'm a big Sounders fan and strongly connected to Seattle through my family and past, but I have now been living in Alaska for most of my life. Now that my son is old enough to play soccer (and loving it!) he's also become a Sounders fan! We just went to Seattle for our first live game together; it was the LA match (thank you Chad Barrett!!). We had a blast, and he tells me that was the highlight of his trip, but while in Seattle we also partook in another thing we enjoy: Geocaching. Considering Seattle is the home of the Sounders and the home of Geocaching HQ, we did a little something to combine them both on our trip down there. We dropped a Sounders themed Geocaching trackable to support the club in our stead while we're back home in Alaska. I thought what better way could our trackable reach his goals than if some Geocaching ECS members were aware of it.
If you enjoy Geocaching as well, or are just curious, check out our trackable here: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=5552993

Also, this is my first post on the ECS forums, so this works as my introduction as well. :D Gotta get involved somehow when I live away, so now I look forward to participating here in addition to the community I've found at S@H.
Alaskan Sounder
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby SPQR » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:05:39 pm

Welcome! Where in Alaska are you at?
SPQR
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Alaskan Sounder » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:44:13 pm

I live in Anchorage. I found another local Sounder fan on the forums here and sent him a PM. He told me he plays in a rec league and there are other Sounders fans he's met there. Sometimes it's easy to feel like your not only the only Sounders fan around here, but the only follower of an MLS team!
Alaskan Sounder
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby James-Brazil » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:07:27 am

What's Geocoaching? I just moved to Seattle to coach high school girls soccer. Anything I can do? I just became an ECS member a couple of weeks ago. Haven't missed a game yet! 3-0-1!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
James-Brazil
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby revolution1973 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:51:07 pm

my wife and kids love to go Geocaching
revolution1973
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Alaskan Sounder » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:18:18 pm

Check out geocaching.com
It's basically a world wide treasure hunting game. Some common containers are large ammo cans or something as small as the tip of your pinky. There's a free membership and all you need is a GPS equipped smart phone. It's like orienteering and the organization that brought it to its current state is based in Seattle. The first official geocache has a memorial in the Seattle area I believe and the headquarters is in Fremont.
Geocaching is a lot of fun for the whole family and you'd never expect how many caches are around you right now!
Trackables are a whole nother aspect.... Some just want to travel as far as they go, or you could look at the link above to my Sounder themed one for something with more specific goals.
Alaskan Sounder
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby SPQR » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:05:26 am

Not too get terribly far off topic, but how are those adult rec leagues in Anchorage? Folks play outdoor or indoor? I imagine winters are taken off if its outdoor... :)
SPQR
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Alaskan Sounder » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:48:38 pm

They're outdoor in the summer and we have a couple indoor sports facilities for the winter. Funny you mention it, my coworkers started a team this year but I was unable to join because of my schedule. I'm hoping the spring season I'll be able to play because they have weekday games then.
Alaskan Sounder
Emerald City Supporter

Return to General