Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

About Last Night

Unread postby bgk » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:54:24 am

It was a great victory! 3-1 over the Timbers.

1.) One of our allies informed us that he took down a poster that used incendiary language against LGBT people, calling for them to be burned, from the outside of Temple. In case this isn't clear, Temple is a common ECS pub, and has become the defacto post-game pub.

2.) One of our Pride of the Sound members yelled, "¡Puto!" at the opposing goalkeeper. I immediately called this person out and informed them that if this recurred, they could be removed by Security. Puto is hate speech, especially now that the Mexican National Team is calling it out as such. http://fusion.net/story/286018/mexicos- ... -campaign/

3.) Thank you to ECS Security, who kept an ever watchful eye on our section yesterday.

4.) Thanks to those who listened to me yesterday.

I would be interested in hearing thoughts about points 1.) and 2.)
bgk
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Dannicus » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:00:52 am

I really wish I would have taken a moment to take a photo so it could be given over to the proper authorities. Rolls and I tore it down (literally scraped it off the building) and we thought about it half way through.

Please know that you all are dear to me and other. I'll always walk beside you. Always.
Dannicus
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby bgk » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:32:21 am

*hugs Dan* As Alok says, when you get hit in the face with the kyriarchy; it's hard to think. It's Adrenaline.
bgk
Past ECS Member

Unread postby shieldk2 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:00:49 am

I hate that that happened. I hope that everyone can feel safe amongst our group and the places we call home. I'm glad that swift action was taken and I hope we are all diligent in stopping any and all forms of hate.
shieldk2
ECS Leadership

Unread postby Llarian » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:57:53 am

I hate reading this. I want Pride to feel like the whole of ECS are allies, always.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby RatCity » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:37:46 am

Disappointing to hear this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RatCity
Past ECS Member

Unread postby bougiehoolie » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:35:30 pm

As I mentioned to Renee last night, I'm keeping an eye out to see if I see any others around Pioneer Square. I didn't last night or on my way into work this morning up near the waterfront. I'll make sure and snag a picture of this if I do. Also keeping an eye on the usual spots this stuff "shows up" in like Reddit to see if anyone else has seen them. As others have said, I'm really bothered to hear that this happened, and know that Rolls (and other establishments we all go to) don't tolerate this sort of thing.
bougiehoolie
ECS Co-President

Unread postby drillera » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:55:53 pm

I sat in 132 last week vs RSL and heard people in front of my friends and I repeatedly use the chant. I asked my friend who has season tickets and she said she reports it each week but nobody is removed or talked to. She texted me last night saying it was happening again. Anyone have an idea of who i can have her talk to? Or report this to?
drillera
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby bougiehoolie » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:07:53 pm

drillera wrote:I sat in 132 last week vs RSL and heard people in front of my friends and I repeatedly use the chant. I asked my friend who has season tickets and she said she reports it each week but nobody is removed or talked to. She texted me last night saying it was happening again. Anyone have an idea of who i can have her talk to? Or report this to?

We can share with our contacts in security / Sounders. Thanks for sharing it here.
bougiehoolie
ECS Co-President

Unread postby DOWNTOWN » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:32:08 pm

This is horrible (of course) and everyone will be keeping their eyes peeled for these types of ingorance....id hate to catch someone in the act of something so stupid. My first reaction would be to do something stupid.
DOWNTOWN
ECS Leadership

Unread postby lisa » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:38:22 pm

bgk wrote:1.) One of our allies informed us that he took down a poster that used incendiary language against LGBT people, calling for them to be burned, from the outside of Temple. In case this isn't clear, Temple is a common ECS pub, and has become the defacto post-game pub.

This is wrong. What was the deal? Taking a "build a bonfire" approach to good old-fashioned bigotry? I'm glad it's gone.

bgk wrote:2.) One of our Pride of the Sound members yelled, "¡Puto!" at the opposing goalkeeper. I immediately called this person out and informed them that if this recurred, they could be removed by Security.

This is wrong. Thanks for putting the kibosh on it. The justifications about it being culturally appropriate, ever, in any context, are also wrong. It's designed to belittle and devalue in every instance. Our FO needs to take a harder line on this. If someone is observing this in the stadium, I hope they, while maintaining their own safety, makes note of who and where is doing it and reports it to the FO in writing, requesting a response to not only acknowledge receipt of the complaint but information on what they plan to do about it. They should have a zero tolerance talking point to regurgitate back, and it should address any concerns. If it doesn't, it's inadequate.

This is also shocking, considering the source. I hope the taunt was coming from a place of cluelessness and they've properly informed themselves since. I'd be happy to have a civilized discussion with them to find out why they think it's okay and attempt to explain why it's not.
In 1986, Roger Ebert wrote:"About Last Night..." is a warmhearted and intelligent love story, and one of the year's best movies.

This is also wrong.
lisa
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Sxcostanzo » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:20:51 pm

I am not making a comment on whether "¡Puto!" is appropriate or not, or if it is hate speech. There are lots of words in our language that can be considered hate speech and yet are acceptable in certain contexts. Again, not saying that the word is or isn't, however it is inappropriate in this context.

However, what I am addressing is Lisa's point that "It's designed to belittle and devalue in every instance." Ignoring the black/white aspect of that, we have several chants which do belittle or devalue a person or group. Do we need to stop doing those chants as well? I don't think we do, so it's fine to stop saying something (YSA and "¡Puto!") because we feel it's inappropriate, but don't say it's because we don't want to belittle and devalue a person or group. BTW, I'm willing to bet that the only reason why Mexico did that was to avoid more fines.

Note: This is posted as a member and not representative as a member of POTS leadership.
Sxcostanzo
ECS Member 2019

Return to Pride Of The Sound (PTS)