Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

2022 Bid Viewing Party

Talk about US Leagues and the US National team here.

Unread postby gbherron » Thu Dec 2, 2010 3:34:15 pm

Taly wrote:USSF wasted their time using celebrities to endorse the USA Bid. USSF should have used oil tycoons.

and wouldn't everybody just love Jerry Jones spearheading our bid effort...

I'm fine with Russia, they really could use an upgrade on their stadia (as do Italy), and I'm kind of glad it didn't go to England. They have the most money of any league in the world, and a ton of that already goes into stadiums clubs build. They were pitching a similar thing to us: we'll bring in the most money by far. However, FIFA clearly aren't into that kind of thing (never have been, right?).

This is what makes Qatar so puzzling. Sure, they won't bring in as much money, but do they really need it? No. Frankly, I thought Australia deserved it more than us - they've never had a WC on their continent, have a new, growing league, and are trying to spike popularity among the fans of the country's #1 sport (which isn't football). We were in the same situation, but just 20 years ago, and look what it gave us: a new league and a new community of football fans in America.

ps. is this another viable excuse to get Mr. Nutjob fired?
gbherron
Past ECS Member

Unread postby hillsy » Thu Dec 2, 2010 4:10:45 pm

finnfan wrote:
Wally Russito wrote:In response to the "qatar is too small" one would think that some of the tournament will occur in UAE/Dubai as well. Id expect an announcement soon of some kind of a joint host.

I would be surprised if this was possible. But with FIFA I guess anything is.

Didn't FIFA say no more joint WCs in recent years. Then again, maybe that means nothing.
hillsy
Past ECS Member

Unread postby finnfan » Thu Dec 2, 2010 4:24:35 pm

What I was thinking is that since a joint bid would have been looked upon negatively in the bidding process and vote, it would be surprising to allow another country to join the bid after the selection.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby fox3r » Thu Dec 2, 2010 4:26:09 pm

finnfan wrote:What I was thinking is that since a joint bid would have been looked upon negatively in the bidding process and vote, it would be surprising to allow another country to join the bid after the selection.

Ya, I doubt that they would share a bid after they already got it. And why would Qatar want the UAE to be part of this. They want to financial and center of everything in the Middle East instead of the UAE.
fox3r
Past ECS Member

Unread postby gooch » Thu Dec 2, 2010 6:52:57 pm

seeing Clinton presenting our case and hearing Qatar spew from Sepp's lips i was reminded of a campaign slogan the former President used: it's the economy, stupid.

i'm probably a bit older than some/most of you guys, but there were items in that presentation that really rubbed me the wrong way - like Gulati and his "50 year plan/vision/whatever," the beginning of which Wynalda pointed out apparently coincides with Gulati's arrival in the US in 1985, and Clinton's belief that soccer arrived when Chelsea took up the sport. that didn't sit well with a guy that went to sold out Sounder games at Memorial Stadium as a kid in the '70s and played soccer locally at a time when every school field was in use all fall and winter.

but in the end i believe that fifa did not want to hold this contest in the US because they do not believe the US economy will be strong enough or stable enough to support this event and generate the staggering revenues that the US bid committee presented to these delegates.

word on the street is that these delegates would not take bribes in dollars (or pounds) and preferred the gold offered by the Russians and the Qataris.
gooch
Past ECS Member

Unread postby S.S.C 78 » Thu Dec 2, 2010 9:00:42 pm

Word is they did it for the nookie.
S.S.C 78
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby robseam » Thu Dec 2, 2010 10:15:10 pm

terrier wrote:
SydneyFC_Wanderer wrote:
size8 wrote:We need to invade and then take over Qatar. Once we own the country we can do what we want and move the WC22 to the states. We can make this happen, we have over 11 years.

Qatar have aligned themselves with Iran in recent history, so, 'regime change' is not out of the question.

I have already done my bit of Desert raiding, Country liberating and regime changing. You young bucks need to get on this one.
:beer:
robseam
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby SydneyFC_Wanderer » Fri Dec 3, 2010 1:47:43 am

S.S.C 78 wrote:Word is they did it for the nookie.

Australia would have won, we sent Elle Macpherson to Zurich muthafuckas! :lol:

ps I hate international football, just for the polodicks involved, club before country IMO, that means Sydney/Sounders/Wolves for life!
The rest is just bollocks.
If and when I come back to the USA, it'll be to see the sounders, end of. For life baby!!
SydneyFC_Wanderer
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Taly » Fri Dec 3, 2010 10:48:02 am

I wish that FIFA could have done USA and England a favor and save us grief. FIFA should have told USA and England that the next WCs will be in new territory.

As a result, we could have respected the Qatar royal family for wanting to throw a lavish WC and frown at their weak national team with African and South American rejects.

I hope that Sunil Gulati will run for president of CONCACAF. Sunil and company wasted a lot of time and money on the USA Bid. Poor, Sunil. Time to overthrow Blood Diamond Jack Warner who did not deliver any votes for USA or England.
Taly
Past ECS Member

Unread postby gooch » Fri Dec 3, 2010 11:46:48 am

Taly wrote:I hope that Sunil Gulati will run for president of CONCACAF. Sunil and company wasted a lot of time and money on the USA Bid. Poor, Sunil. Time to overthrow Blood Diamond Jack Warner who did not deliver any votes for USA or England.

bingo. upgrades all around. new leader of US Soccer (Henderson?) and of CONCACAF.

but in the end, sadly i think this vote showed how unpopular the US is on the world stage currently.
gooch
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Clockwork Orange » Fri Dec 3, 2010 4:37:09 pm

gooch wrote:but in the end, sadly i think this vote showed how unpopular the US is on the world stage currently.

Well we actually didn't do too poorly votes wise, I'm surprised how few Australia got.
Clockwork Orange
Past ECS Member

Unread postby gooch » Mon Dec 6, 2010 1:14:29 pm

from this Sunday's Seattle Times
"What readers are saying
Letters to The Seattle Times sports editor.

World Cup

Qatar will be a worthy host

Dear Mr. Kelley,

I do understand that it might be difficult for you to comprehend that a small nation with very little or no success at world football gets nominated to host the largest sporting event in the world ("World Cup slaps U.S. in the face," Dec. 3). You have to keep in mind that Qatar is not representing itself, it's representing the Middle East, and part of North Africa and West Asia.

It is the only country in the region with the necessary resources (not only natural resources, but educated, dedicated, ambitious work force) in the region that is crazy about the sport.

The United States is a perfect contender to host the World Cup, but, to my opinion, the lack of interest of the general public and the current political state of the country makes it difficult to get enough votes.

It is apparent from the comparison of U.S. and Qatar presentations that Qatar is willing to go the extra mile for the spirit of the games.

Qatar made a lot of promises, and needs to work overtime to satisfy them. I have no doubt that they will achieve their goals and make the 2022 World Cup a unique World Cup that will be hard to top for years to come.

If you're in doubt, check out the previous major sporting events that Qatar hosted, mainly the 2006 Asian Games. The new blood, creative thinking and social responsibility of the organizers will make the tournament's success a sure thing.

— Rashid Saad Al-Mohannadi, Doha, Qatar"
gooch
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Taly » Mon Dec 6, 2010 8:35:17 pm

I just hope that USA get grouped with Qatar in 2022. :mrgreen:
Taly
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Gorddog2 » Tue Dec 7, 2010 11:43:21 am

Amen Brother
Gorddog2
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Yoda » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:19:25 am