Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Qatar Locked Out Fans

Talk about US Leagues and the US National team here.

Unread postby Taly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:57:55 am

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=10880
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0yVbyYNFNs&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

8k fans were locked out of the Asian Cup final. I was surprised about this fiasco from a country that bought the WC.
Taly
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Goonda » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:36:58 pm

I don't have audio at work, so I can't get the whole story here.

Did that security guard hit the camera man in the head with that PVC pipe? That's pretty funny, and kinda disturbing.
Goonda
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41:02 pm

Apparently, they had been letting people in without tickets and realized they had a crowding problem. Sensible, if unpopular decision in light of the previous fuck up.
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby gooch » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:08:18 pm

most reports i saw were that attendance sucked at this tournament. the final must have been a little more in demand.

the emir has organized a helluva tournament here.... you can see why those fifa fucktards picked this country.
gooch
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Crouchaldinho » Wed Feb 2, 2011 5:45:54 pm

SP The Ghost wrote:Apparently, they had been letting people in without tickets and realized they had a crowding problem. Sensible, if unpopular decision in light of the previous fuck up.

Also they Royal family was there and their security told them to lock it up. Also the fans that actually got in were lock in until after all the ending ceremonies. Isn't the World Cup going to be swell.
Crouchaldinho
Past ECS Member

Unread postby zackgotchatongue » Wed Feb 9, 2011 7:23:52 pm

This whole thing a fucking PR nightmare for Qatar thanks to phone cameras and youtube. Men and women had to take separate gates and when they locked them women were separated from their children, when they pleaded to get their children back many were beaten for lack of respect. When qatarian officials were asked about the incident they lied and said it was rumors being spread by qatar haters. As much as I like this sport and the World Cup, there have to be some drastic changes go on in qatar for me to even consider watching the 2022 World Cup.

Here's a good article:
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php ... 3206a9%2C0
zackgotchatongue
Past ECS Member

Unread postby fox3r » Wed Feb 9, 2011 7:54:12 pm

Things like this are kinda stupid to me. I am pissed about the supposed fixing between Qatar and the Spain bid thing, but they got it so no need to whine anymore.

And they have 11 years to get this shit figured out. That is plenty of time to do everything on their list if they are serious about it. Its not like it is going to be their next summer or anything. They could build all their stadiums, not like them and rip them down, and then rebuild them in easily that amount of time.
fox3r
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Crouchaldinho » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:11:38 pm

zackgotchatongue wrote:This whole thing a fucking PR nightmare for Qatar thanks to phone cameras and youtube. Men and women had to take separate gates and when they locked them women were separated from their children, when they pleaded to get their children back many were beaten for lack of respect. When qatarian officials were asked about the incident they lied and said it was rumors being spread by qatar haters. As much as I like this sport and the World Cup, there have to be some drastic changes go on in qatar for me to even consider watching the 2022 World Cup.

Here's a good article:

You could go but your going to have to sleep in a tent.
Crouchaldinho
Past ECS Member

Unread postby zackgotchatongue » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:54:12 pm

Crouchaldinho wrote:
zackgotchatongue wrote:This whole thing a fucking PR nightmare for Qatar thanks to phone cameras and youtube. Men and women had to take separate gates and when they locked them women were separated from their children, when they pleaded to get their children back many were beaten for lack of respect. When qatarian officials were asked about the incident they lied and said it was rumors being spread by qatar haters. As much as I like this sport and the World Cup, there have to be some drastic changes go on in qatar for me to even consider watching the 2022 World Cup.

Here's a good article:

You could go but your going to have to sleep in a tent.

I got a hennessy hammock so all I need are two palm trees to set up shop. I promise only straight sex and 2.5% alc. beer.
zackgotchatongue
Past ECS Member

Unread postby gooch » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:21:08 pm

i guess recent events beg the question: will the Qatari's demand freedom from their Royal Family overlords and if so can this motivate fifa and Sepp do this f#cking WC thing right (i.e. schedule it in the US - correct only in the aspect of not fleecing the home country by demanding new stadia and infrastructure yet dubious due to the potential collapse of the dollar)?

i'll always pull for those seeking freedom (rather than democracy which is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner). especially if it means i'll get to watch 3 or 4 WC games in Husky Stadium and/or RBP
gooch
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:24:05 pm

I admire your fervor, but there's no way that the USA will get the 2022 world cup.
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby finnfan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:48:24 pm

Based on what I have read, it seems unlikely for protests to spread to Qatar. Explaining why would take a mini-essay and I do not have the time to write that. In short, unlike Bahrain, there's no religious divide (Bahrain is Shia by huge majority but the ruling Khalifa family are Sunni, and there is serious economic and social discrimination against the Shia majority), and unlike Egypt, Tunisia, and Libya, there's no economic divide. In those other countries there is a huge group of poor/unemployed people that literally go hungry, whereas in Qatar all citizens are rich and working-class people are basically all non-citizen expats.

And SP is also right. Even if Qatar would not be able to host, the USA is not the second choice. From what I gathered, the USA was never considered as a front-runner outside of the USA.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby Gorddog2 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:51:00 pm

One they would probally try to keep it in the AFC
Gorddog2
Past ECS Member

Unread postby gooch » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:24:27 pm

finnfan wrote:Based on what I have read, it seems unlikely for protests to spread to Qatar. Explaining why would take a mini-essay and I do not have the time to write that. In short, unlike Bahrain, there's no religious divide (Bahrain is Shia by huge majority but the ruling Khalifa family are Sunni, and there is serious economic and social discrimination against the Shia majority), and unlike Egypt, Tunisia, and Libya, there's no economic divide. In those other countries there is a huge group of poor/unemployed people that literally go hungry, whereas in Qatar all citizens are rich and working-class people are basically all non-citizen expats.

And SP is also right. Even if Qatar would not be able to host, the USA is not the second choice. From what I gathered, the USA was never considered as a front-runner outside of the USA.

thanks for the thoughtful response. that's my perception as well. and i won't wish harm on anyone, but i could still hope some chaos would cause a shift in venue.

i'm not sure i buy Gorddog'2s argument that it would go to Asia though i could see Australia (i know, AFC) - but i didn't think Asia had much of a chance this time as they had hosted it 8 years after our federation had. and weren't we runner-up this time?

fuck Sepp.
gooch
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Gorddog2 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:35:09 pm

When Mexico hosted the WC, they had an earthquake months before. FIFA was considering the US as an alternative. My thing is, if they are thinking of changing the location they would keep it in its respected confederation. I agree with Gooch. Australia would be a great alternative location. Or the US because it's cost saving. We have all the stadiums and no new stadiums will need to be planned out.
Gorddog2
Past ECS Member

Next

Return to US Soccer