Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

USMNT Gold Cup Roster

Talk about US Leagues and the US National team here.

Unread postby fox3r » Mon May 23, 2011 10:22:18 pm

What I see from this squad in 2014 is:

Howard
Rimando (don't know about him as I want to see him up against better forwards)
Lichaj
Ream
Spector
Bornstein
Bradley
Edu
Feilhaber
Kljestan
Rogers (not really liking him there though)
Agudelo
Altidore

I think we then have like another 5 players who are super bubble players because its hard to predict how much they can lose in 4 years. I think all the older defenders are done and possibly Donovan (if he starts getting injured and loses pace, but he is intelligent and a leader which will probably keep him around for one more). If Dempsey keeps healthy then he is a lot like Donovan.

Basically I guess my comments should be withheld for maybe a year or so and then brought up. I just hate having the feeling that we could get backed into a corner with a bunch of younger guys who haven't played together only getting a year or two's worth of international games when they could have had 4.
fox3r
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SeattleCalcio » Mon May 23, 2011 10:25:50 pm

Replace Rogers with Holden and you can't be disappointed with that lineup.
SeattleCalcio
ECS Co-President

Unread postby ProdigalReality » Mon May 23, 2011 10:28:14 pm

You guys realize that Holden is out with a knee injury? Probably won't be back until September.
ProdigalReality
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby mwiegand » Mon May 23, 2011 10:29:07 pm

Sec118LovesECS wrote:
mwiegand wrote:No Diskerud and no Bunbury is a joke. Our program really has zero idea how to nurture young talent right now. When Donovan, Dempsey and their generation retire, we'll be twisting in the wind if Sunil Gulati is still in charge.

Which forward are you suggesting Bunbury should have replaced? Altidore (young), Agudelo (young) or Wondolowski (youngish and won the golden boot in our top national league)?

None! Drop a MF to carry him. If we had to replace one of the 3, Wondo. His golden boot season hasn't translated to anything for the Nats. Bunbury at least seems to have some chemistry with Agudelo in a 4-4-2.
mwiegand
Past ECS Member

Unread postby fox3r » Mon May 23, 2011 10:29:31 pm

ProdigalReality wrote:You guys realize that Holden is out with a knee injury? Probably won't be back until September.

Yes we do (or at least I do). I think we were talking more starters for important games and 2014 players.
fox3r
Past ECS Member

Unread postby fox3r » Mon May 23, 2011 10:31:20 pm

mwiegand wrote:None! Drop a MF to carry him. If we had to replace one of the 3, Wondo. His golden boot season hasn't translated to anything for the Nats. Bunbury at least seems to have some chemistry with Agudelo in a 4-4-2.

I would also say that is a move that should be made, especially because as much as I like Jozy, our forwards aren't the greatest out there (especially since the lose of Davies with the impact that he was having at the time). Bring in an extra forward and see what they can do. We don't need 9 mids.
fox3r
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SeattleCalcio » Mon May 23, 2011 10:40:25 pm

mwiegand wrote:
Sec118LovesECS wrote:
mwiegand wrote:No Diskerud and no Bunbury is a joke. Our program really has zero idea how to nurture young talent right now. When Donovan, Dempsey and their generation retire, we'll be twisting in the wind if Sunil Gulati is still in charge.

Which forward are you suggesting Bunbury should have replaced? Altidore (young), Agudelo (young) or Wondolowski (youngish and won the golden boot in our top national league)?

None! Drop a MF to carry him. If we had to replace one of the 3, Wondo. His golden boot season hasn't translated to anything for the Nats. Bunbury at least seems to have some chemistry with Agudelo in a 4-4-2.

If we're going to play a 4-2-3-1 you can't really carry 4 forwards. Wondo hasn't been given any opportunity with the nats....
SeattleCalcio
ECS Co-President

Unread postby wampXstomp » Mon May 23, 2011 10:42:18 pm

fox3r wrote:What I see from this squad in 2014 is:

Bornstein

:doh:
wampXstomp
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby SeattleCalcio » Mon May 23, 2011 10:45:01 pm

fox3r wrote:
mwiegand wrote:None! Drop a MF to carry him. If we had to replace one of the 3, Wondo. His golden boot season hasn't translated to anything for the Nats. Bunbury at least seems to have some chemistry with Agudelo in a 4-4-2.

I would also say that is a move that should be made, especially because as much as I like Jozy, our forwards aren't the greatest out there (especially since the lose of Davies with the impact that he was having at the time). Bring in an extra forward and see what they can do. We don't need 9 mids.

Jozy is 21. Most of this conversation started by saying that we don't nurture young talent. That's exactly what he is, give him time to grow into what he will be as a player. To put this into perspective, he'd be the 2nd youngest Sounder (behind only Montano).
SeattleCalcio
ECS Co-President

Unread postby fox3r » Mon May 23, 2011 10:48:06 pm

wampXstomp wrote:
fox3r wrote:What I see from this squad in 2014 is:

Bornstein

:doh:

I don't like it wamp, but I don't know if we have a lot of other left backs to go with (basically all I can think of is Heath Pearce, but they is definitely a possiblity that there is more).
fox3r
Past ECS Member

Unread postby tiki18 » Mon May 23, 2011 11:26:02 pm

fox3r wrote:I don't understand why Chandler and Bedoya weren't called up. I think Chandler could be a pretty good back for us in the near future.

Also you can take out one of the mids (Adu most likely or Rogers) and put in Holden when he come back from injury (as being on the actually team and not this one for the Gold Cup).

hope this explains why chandler wasnt on the squad
from twitter:
ussoccer U.S. SOCCER
Bradley on Chandler: "He told us physically and mentally this season has been a long one ... Time wasn't right for this Gold Cup." #USMNT
tiki18
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Wally Russito » Sat Jun 4, 2011 12:59:23 pm

Chandler is having injury problems right now and his german club requested that he take time off to fully recover
Wally Russito
Past ECS Member

Previous

Return to US Soccer