Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Boroughboys in NYC

Talk about US Leagues and the US National team here.

Unread postby digitalwoodchuck » Fri May 27, 2011 1:58:13 pm

http://www.boroughboysnyc.com/

Yea yea I know the SoB was around before there was a team, but I just don't get the fundamental point of a supporters group with out a team. They should do what their mission says and support The team at the highest level in their city. I do understand not wanting to support RYRB though.
digitalwoodchuck
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby finnfan » Fri May 27, 2011 2:09:13 pm

Yeah, that team would be FC New York of USL Pro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.C._New_York
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby ProdigalReality » Fri May 27, 2011 3:33:49 pm

Because they're working with the Cosmo's?
ProdigalReality
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Goonda » Fri May 27, 2011 3:43:59 pm

If there hadn't been a team, then yeah, I'd understand your point DWC.

But the Cosmos did exist and are working to reenter the soccer world. Unfortunately a system does not exist in the USA for promotion and relegation that would allow a lower level team to move up, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for them to start at a lower level. Wouldn't it be worse for them to start supporting a team like FC New York only to abandon them as soon as the Cosmos return?

I know I wouldn't feel right about something like that.
Goonda
Past ECS Member

Unread postby finnfan » Fri May 27, 2011 3:47:37 pm

ProdigalReality wrote:Because they're working with the Cosmo's?

Because they are the top team in New York City.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby ProdigalReality » Fri May 27, 2011 4:27:41 pm

Reading their forum on bigsoccer, sounds like they've been burned by NYFC a few times.
ProdigalReality
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Taly » Tue May 31, 2011 1:42:23 pm

digitalwoodchuck wrote:...I do understand not wanting to support RYRB though.

On bigsoccer, they are not comfortable with NYRB, because it is not in NY and\or the team is named after an enrgy drink.
Taly
Past ECS Member

Unread postby terrier » Tue May 31, 2011 8:24:29 pm

As an expat New Yorker, I completely get this. No love for NJ - no offense to my friends from the garden state.

I was never a MetroFarce/DBNJ supporter. They're a Jersey team, like the Nets and the Devils and the Jets and the Giants. (Yeah, the latter two have NY fans but NFL is the NFL. My father-in-law proudly characterizes himself as a fan of New York's NFL team: the Bills.) And, yeah, they're named after an "energy drink" and whose name is guaranteed to change with the next owner.

I know it's faster to get to DeadBull Arena than Shea/Willets Point from most of the NY area. It's a beautiful stadium, too - but it's New Jersey.

As for why the Borough Boys are organized around the Cosmos rather than FCNY (or the Pancyprian-Freedoms or the Brooklyn Knights, etc) it's right there on their site - "For two native New Yorkers, Nick Laveglia and Paul Morabito, their dream was to bring others to the Big Apple - specifically a Major League Soccer team located within the five boroughs of New York City." They're not a supporter's group (yet) - just an advocacy group. The Cosmos is the best bet for the moment but if Red Bull were ever to, say, buy out the Cosmos name and just become the sponsor, the Borough Boys will surely move on to continue their push for an MLS team in the five boroughs (OK, really four boroughs. A team in Staten Island - the black sheep of the boroughs, culturally aligned with NJ - would give most of them them apoplexy.)

I wish them the best, and I hope the Sounders someday gets to take their revenge on the Cosmos in the MLS Cup final for Soccer Bowl frustrations past.
terrier
Past ECS Member

Return to US Soccer