Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Gold Cup Final - Game Day Thread

Talk about US Leagues and the US National team here.

Unread postby Demokracy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:43:29 pm

Fuck this game, I'm going out to drink now...
Demokracy
Past ECS Member

Unread postby gbherron » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:37:20 pm

I'm to pissed to go off on a rant, so I'll just point some other stuff out.

1) Freddy Adu played the best game of his life. I was miffed as to why Bradley pulled him for Kljestian. He was far and away the man of the match for the US and picked up the massive amount of slack an abysmal Demspey had. He's one of the few players the US has who has the ability to consistently beat people one-on-one. His flare was even enough to have the Mexicans start double-teaming him, opening up some much-needed space in the midfield. I was very conservative in jumping on the Adu bandwagon after the Panama game, but seeing tonight has truly impressed me.

2) Fox really screwed up. They had an opportunity to broadcast perhaps the most entertaining US - Mexico game in history, but passed up. They were so caught up in cashing in on some new FoxSoccer customers with the help of the channel's re-branding campaign, they lost sight of exposing the game to the country on a night with no NBA, no NHL and scattered inter-league MLB games. Instead, FOX showed a COPS marathon...
gbherron
Past ECS Member

Unread postby LCCyclone » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:27:51 pm

I think Adu was cramping up a little before being subbed, towards the end he was reaching down at his calves. I agree Adu had a good game but had a few times when he dribbled into 3 defenders and had no where to go. At least Kljestian was a more effective sub than Agudelo from what I saw.

Was surprised to see Donovan start up top over Dempsey, would have rather had them switch. Also disappointed that the backs looked lost out there for most of the game.
LCCyclone
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby zproctor81 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:31:43 pm

gbherron wrote:2) Fox really screwed up. They had an opportunity to broadcast perhaps the most entertaining US - Mexico game in history, but passed up. They were so caught up in cashing in on some new FoxSoccer customers with the help of the channel's re-branding campaign, they lost sight of exposing the game to the country on a night with no NBA, no NHL and scattered inter-league MLB games. Instead, FOX showed a COPS marathon...

Whatcha want, whatca want, whatcha gonna do?
zproctor81
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby tepid » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:07:51 pm

tepid
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Spit206Fire » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:06:56 am

Glad Howard came out and said something. I think howard made some mistakes (not that his defense helped him alot); but im glad to see someone of his stature call out CONCACAF.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/s ... id=6705473
Spit206Fire
Past ECS Member

Unread postby gbherron » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:14:54 am

Howard has every right to be pissed. That's an absolute fucking shame on CONCACAF's part.
gbherron
Past ECS Member

Unread postby 454k30 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:12:56 am

That Mexico squad is crazy fast! I am very impressed with how quickly they can get themselves into a good angle to receive a pass, and then play it on well too. I also think that the US was a lot of fun to watch! I really do wish that Dempsey's goal would have bounced in rather than out, and Bradley's one timer only missed by a little bit. Damn, we had a lot of fun watching though; we were probably the two loudest US Nat supporters on the island last night, but still a lot of fun for a bummer result.
454k30
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby finnfan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:24:13 am

I'm bewildered by the comments to this article:
http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2011/6/2 ... s-ceremony

I'm sure Howard's comment was with respect to his European experience, where announcements are made in two languages in similar situations. The purpose is that everybody will be able to understand what is going on, and nobody should have anything against that. I guess Howard thought it was obvious that he was arguing that the ceremony should have been bilingual, but clearly he should have said so explicitly as now he seems to be made into a bigot who wanted it to be English only. Sad, very sad.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby gooch » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:54:49 am

Bornstein? Bradley should be fired.
gooch
Past ECS Member

Unread postby gbherron » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:59:17 pm

gooch wrote:Bornstein? Bradley should be fired.

That's my first thought too, he's an absolute nightmare and hasn't played in ages. Even Spector would have been a better choice. But really the problem is not Bradley. It isn't his fault that that's his only option for replacing a 32 year-old who probably won't play in 2014. Someone on soccernet wrote a really good article highlighting exactly that issue.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/blog/_/name/martin_james/id/6705642/us-loss-blessing-disguise

Now, with that being said, I still think we need to replace him. We're going to have to revamp the defense at least, and parts of the attack, and I think keeping the same coach can make that kind of transition really tough. We don't need some kind of Klinnsman, but a fresh face to mix things up along with the new squad would be really nice to have now, instead of halfway through qualifying.
gbherron
Past ECS Member

Unread postby gooch » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:13:19 am

two items: the guy replacing 'dolo should have been Chandler - unfortunately our Nat'l team needs to recruit the (forgive me for posting the names) Rossi's, Subotic's, Chandler's and Haageland's (sp?). we need a coach that gets guys jacked-up to play for the National Team.

where was Edu this tournament? i'd have played him above Jones or paired w/Goodson and moved Bocanegra out left. Adu still looks like he's ready to tear up a youth team, not an international squad.

it sucks after feeling like the dominant team in Concacaf for the last few years that it now feels as if we are set to be Mexico's bitch for the next few years.

And finally - that game should have been played at RBP. despite Mexico drawing 50k for their recent friendly here, i still believe that we would draw a largely pro-US crowd to RBP.
gooch
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Jabsco » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:17:41 am

Are you serious? Adu was the best player we had the last 1.5 games, and I've been a full on Adu hater since he went down the abyss 4 years ago. :screwloose:
Jabsco
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Gorddog2 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:36:16 am

gooch wrote:And finally - that game should have been played at RBP. despite Mexico drawing 50k for their recent friendly here, i still believe that we would draw a largely pro-US crowd to RBP.

Any where besides Columbus would be a pro-Mexico crowd. There would be more US fans at RBP, but the Mexicans would sell their souls to be at that game. 70% Mexico 30% US
Gorddog2
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Taly » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:51:19 am

Demokracy wrote:lol \

I don't know if I can take another half of our backs just letting Mexico have their way.

I am in love :mrgreen: I like her attitude!
Taly
Past ECS Member

PreviousNext

Return to US Soccer