Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Gold Cup Final - Game Day Thread

Talk about US Leagues and the US National team here.

Unread postby gooch » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:45:18 pm

Jabsco wrote:Are you serious? Adu was the best player we had the last 1.5 games, and I've been a full on Adu hater since he went down the abyss 4 years ago. :screwloose:

you watched a different game than i did. there's a reason he's playing 2nd division football in Turkey :screwloose:

imo, he's still playing youth-level soccer - see how often he had the ball taken from him vs how many times he made a good tackle.

let me put it to you this way, Jabsco: would you start him on the Sounders? i think he'd get eaten up in practice.
gooch
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Goonda » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:51:00 pm

My issue with Adu in the final was the number of times he decided to try to take on 2 defenders when he had an easy option to drop the ball back and allow the play to move around.
Goonda
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Jabsco » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:02:46 pm

Yeah I would.

He was the only guy that was holding anything that resembled possession against Mexico. I'm not saying he's Lionel fucking Messi, but name one guy in the red white & blue that was better in that match.

To be clear, I said he was the best for USA on the field, not the biggest feat to begin with.
Jabsco
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby ProdigalReality » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:12:27 pm

Goonda wrote:My issue with Adu in the final was the number of times he decided to try to take on 2 defenders when he had an easy option to drop the ball back and allow the play to move around.

I don't know if he had help. I don't remember ever seeing Lichaj ever coming over to help him. I kept getting pissed seeing Adu with two guys on him, and no one near him to help.
ProdigalReality
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Goonda » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:21:47 pm

ProdigalReality wrote:
Goonda wrote:My issue with Adu in the final was the number of times he decided to try to take on 2 defenders when he had an easy option to drop the ball back and allow the play to move around.

I don't know if he had help. I don't remember ever seeing Lichaj ever coming over to help him. I kept getting pissed seeing Adu with two guys on him, and no one near him to help.

Yeah, I'm not saying he had the drop man every time. Those times he didn't have anyone it makes sense to run at the defender. I specifically remember 3 times that he did have a fairly easy drop, but went straight at the defenders anyway. I'm not even sure if he ever got his head up and looked for another option. This was fairly late in the game though, so it could be that he just didn't look for the drop because it hadn't been there before.
Goonda
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Jabsco » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:33:45 pm

I wouldn't pass the ball to any of those schmucks, either.
Jabsco
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Forza_Seattle » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:51:08 pm

Adu has the creative touch which US is missing. Would not mind if we got Adu on a loan and give him a shot to play from time to time. See how he progresses.

US nat. team has to worry about generational shift. Old guard is out, nothing new coming in and setting a game on fire. Don't see a well known coach coming in to take over Bradley's job and don't think that US needs a world class manager. Stick to the MLS crop. SIgi and the likes would be great. I would even consider to make a US job a part-time job, have a MLS coach working for his club and country.
Forza_Seattle
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby gbherron » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:08:57 pm

I'm not sure what these people who are still hatin' on Adu saw on Saturday either. He was far and away the only player on the US team who was on par with the skill of the Mexican team. He was the only person on the field for us who, every time he got the ball, looked threatening to a defense. The reason he "kept dribblng into two and three defenders" is 1) This didn't happen until well into the game, when the Mexicans realized his threat and started to double-team him each time he received the ball and 2) His offense wasn't giving him any options - once Cherundolo went out, his only outlet was passing back to Bradley. Frankly, he was the MOTM for the US, and anyone that doesn't believe that is just hatin'.
gbherron
Past ECS Member

Previous

Return to US Soccer