Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

A second team ?

Talk about US Leagues and the US National team here.

Unread postby sofiavergao » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:49:31 am

I would love some honest and poignant input from my fellow Sounders supporters on the following topic.

I have a deep footballing past and without boring you with personal stories, I've been mulling over the idea of forming a semi-pro team here in Seattle. I'm a loyal Sounder supporter and have nothing against the club but a city this large and well versed in the glorious game, in my opinion, deserves a 2nd team. By all accounts, S2 is our second team but with the home pitch being in Tukwila and a possible move to Tacoma looking likely, we Seattle folks could do with a 2nd team.

Ultimately my goal is to have this club one day play professional and have enough finance and respect to warrant talks about going the NASL or USL pro route but for now, the reality of my plans is start off local and grow. Step 1 would be the EPLWA and go from there....... I know, for many of us, supporting a team in the EPLWA is not going to muster a lot of excitement but the hometown feel and regional rivalries would offer some of hometown community spirit that sometimes get lost in the corporate shuffle of the MLS.

In any regard, before I take this venture from the proverbial pen and paper to real life action, I'd love some input from my fellow ECS'ers. One of my main points of interest in terms of feedback from yourselves, is would you support another team ? I really want to see a supporters group associated with this hypothetical club and while I fully understand that the ECS is Sounders 100%, would any of you be open to forming another firm and if so, what would you want from it and the club ?

Thanks for your time.
sofiavergao
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby Llarian » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:19:25 am

Oh God, please don't use the term "firm"

The Reign is a thing, and could use support.

I know for me personally, I've found that I don't really have time for a second team, nor much interest in lower level soccer aside from the rec leagues we participate in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby Feueradler9 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:53:23 pm

Llarian wrote:
The Reign is a thing, and could use support.

Yes. They are a great team and have world class players. Unfortunately they play at Memorial which pushes a lot of people away. They averaged 4,000 per game last year which is awful for Seattle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Feueradler9
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby martinrcorpus » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:30:21 pm

sofiavergao wrote:I would love some honest and poignant input from my fellow Sounders supporters on the following topic.

I have a deep footballing past and without boring you with personal stories, I've been mulling over the idea of forming a semi-pro team here in Seattle. I'm a loyal Sounder supporter and have nothing against the club but a city this large and well versed in the glorious game, in my opinion, deserves a 2nd team. By all accounts, S2 is our second team but with the home pitch being in Tukwila and a possible move to Tacoma looking likely, we Seattle folks could do with a 2nd team.

Ultimately my goal is to have this club one day play professional and have enough finance and respect to warrant talks about going the NASL or USL pro route but for now, the reality of my plans is start off local and grow. Step 1 would be the EPLWA and go from there....... I know, for many of us, supporting a team in the EPLWA is not going to muster a lot of excitement but the hometown feel and regional rivalries would offer some of hometown community spirit that sometimes get lost in the corporate shuffle of the MLS.

In any regard, before I take this venture from the proverbial pen and paper to real life action, I'd love some input from my fellow ECS'ers. One of my main points of interest in terms of feedback from yourselves, is would you support another team ? I really want to see a supporters group associated with this hypothetical club and while I fully understand that the ECS is Sounders 100%, would any of you be open to forming another firm and if so, what would you want from it and the club ?

Thanks for your time.
I may end up rambling here, but these are my thoughts:

The only things I wish Sounders had that EPLWA clubs have are full independence from the league (ex. supporter-based ownership, an independent commissioning group owning the team, etc.) and better ticket pricing policies. The closest EPLWA club to Seattle is Seattle Stars (based out of Kent, technically) and the Snohomish Steelheads (debuting in 2018 or 2019).

With how fast the Sounders as a ::sigh:: brand, are growing, a second seattle-based club becoming an expansion in USL Pro or NASL doesn’t seem likely given that there is S2 and Sounders U23 (competing in PDL) already. Even if I could never afford tickets for them again, they have established themselves as a historic club with whom millions of us have some sort of special connection already. Investing in another club in this city wouldn’t feel right to me, personally.

If this second club became a real thing, and it were to get as big as USL or NASL, then eventually you’d have some people who will feel like they’d have to take a side. {EXAMPLE: This sort of thing ::kind of:: happened in Sydney, NSW, Australia. Until 2012, there was only one team in the city competing in the A-League (Australia’s top tier). Eventually the FFA backed an expansion side in Western Sydney’s suburbs (Wanderers FC) based on what fans wanted. People who felt that the Wanderers would represent them better either never supported Sydney FC to begin with or stopped supporting Sydney FC in favor of the Wanderers (I know some other ECS members have ties to Sydney FC and their supporter group so don’t quote me on all this being 100% accurate; there’s a whole “who is represented by what club” debate within that derby and how I’m connected to the Wanderers side of it is too long of another story)}. Anyways, my point is that a second Seattle club ::might:: cause the same kind of rift, especially at the USL level. Some people may change their loyalties to the new club and abandon the Sounders, some will stay, supporting one over the other is gonna be based on what connection they feel. Forming a new supporter group would only build this split more and might even cause the whole “where do your loyalties really lay?” Debate (which we all know can be really annoying to deal with).

I will, respectfully, disagree with you, about the general need for a second team. I think that with Sounders and S2 competing for a good 8-9 months out of the whole year, there’s plenty of football watching opportunities. A lot of people who need some sort of football to watch in the winter will often watch the Tacoma Stars for indoor football or foreign leagues. I am curious to know what has you thinking that Seattle could use another team? Do you think that Sounders and S2 aren’t sufficient for some reason? I will agree that Seattle is a large city, but I don’t think it’s large enough to be like a dual-club city like LA with Galaxy and LAFC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
martinrcorpus
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby futbolgirl » Wed Nov 1, 2017 9:50:37 am

Mod: The OP has registered from a domain known to spam forums.This topic is locked and the user removed from the site.
futbolgirl
ECS Co-President

Return to US Soccer