Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Shocking News: CONCACAF is stupid

Talk about US Leagues and the US National team here.

Unread postby SoundersCABJ » Wed Sep 1, 2010 8:00:10 pm

As if an idiotic organization couldn't get any dumber, CONCACAF screws with the 2014 qualifying format. What does that mean? No more USA vs Mexico games. No Azteca. No Columbus. Nothing.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_i ... .html#more

How dumb is this. Can you imagine Argentina not playing Brazil in qualifying?
SoundersCABJ
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby gooch » Wed Sep 1, 2010 9:54:41 pm

SoundersCABJ wrote:As if an idiotic organization couldn't get any dumber, CONCACAF ....

well said.

unfuckingbelievable, yet it is CONCACAF. On the plus side, potential trips to carribean are a helluva lot more appealing than Mexico City
gooch
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Taly » Thu Sep 2, 2010 8:23:21 am

Plus, do you enjoying seeing LD getting doused with cups of beer and urine when he takes his corner kicks at Azteca Stadium?
Taly
Past ECS Member

Unread postby fox3r » Thu Sep 2, 2010 9:07:02 am

This is ridiculous. USA-Mexico games are the biggest games in Concacaf and now they are doing away with them. Fuck friendlies and I personally think the Gold Cup is a bit of a joke, so they are taking the only truely competitive USA-Mexico game out.
fox3r
Past ECS Member

Unread postby finnfan » Thu Sep 2, 2010 9:29:06 am

It's sad that Gold Cup is a bit of a joke. I've never really understood why though. From an organizational point of view, what could they do better? The games are pretty well attended too. The problem as far as I understand is that USA and Mexico don't use their best teams. How could that be fixed? I know that a spot in the FIFA Confederations Cup is not exactly a prize worth fighting for.

I know that CONCACAF is not as competitive as UEFA, but it still strikes me as odd that the regional championship does not seem to matter to anybody. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that World Cup qualifying also has somebody winning it all (unlike in UEFA where teams qualify from multiple groups). Maybe this is in part behind CONCACAF's decision to alter World Cup qualification so that there are two groups from which teams qualify and hence no one winner of the qualification tournament?
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby danimal » Thu Sep 2, 2010 9:50:13 am

First Bradley, now this. Makes me sick
danimal
Past ECS Member

Unread postby foobar » Thu Sep 2, 2010 6:14:44 pm

danimal wrote:First Bradley, now this. Makes me sick

QFT.
foobar
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Thu Sep 2, 2010 10:31:07 pm

finn -- one of the main reasons is the Gold Cup seems to be held every two years rather than every four like Euros and Copa America. I think that kinda takes the shine off of it a bit. Then again, there's so many minnows in this region that need competitive games to improve their programs so that probably explains it somewhat.

that said, stupid decision if it's true. Then again, Jack Warner runs bartertown in concacaf so why are we even surprised when shit like this happens
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby Wazzu Sounder » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:35:40 am

Fuck this pisses me off, I was already planning and saving for my first trip to Azteca.

Oh well, I guess can lump that money into my World Cup savings account.
Wazzu Sounder
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby C.How » Fri Oct 1, 2010 6:23:52 pm

The mexican lobby was proally for it...now they won't havta worry about us beating them down there....
C.How
Past ECS Member

Unread postby EVILIVE » Mon Oct 4, 2010 4:43:04 pm

This sucks. Why dont they just give automatic berths to Mexico and the USA and let the rest fight it out. thats how its always going to end up anyways......

EVILIVE
EVILIVE
Past ECS Member

Unread postby C.How » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:19:51 pm

foobar wrote:
danimal wrote:First Bradley, now this. Makes me sick

QFT.

Would you rather it be this way 'round heah? (see below)

In a year when so much went wrong for America, one would be hard-pressed to find a more tragic event than the beloved U.S. national team's elimination from the 2010 World Cup. The humiliating loss—which left millions of enraged citizens rioting in every major city—was universally blamed on disgraced team captain Landon Donovan.

After the U.S. team won its group in the first round, an estimated 300 million Americans, widely known as the most fanatical soccer fans on the planet, shuttered local businesses, declared a holiday from school, and even closed down the New York Stock Exchange to watch the second-round match against Ghana, only to see their collective hopes dashed by Donovan's subpar play. Mass burnings of Landon Donovan effigies and widespread looting ensued, forcing President Barack Obama to declare a state of national emergency.

Despite receiving thousands of death threats and a personal warning from the State Department urging him to stay off American soil until order could be restored, Donovan returned to Los Angeles and was shot 172 times in the chest, head, and feet by an unknown number of assailants—a crime that remains unsolved to this day as police refuse to investigate.

Donovan's decomposing corpse still hangs from the marquee at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, where hundreds of passersby spit on it each day.

from the onion, in case you couldn't guess
C.How
Past ECS Member

Return to US Soccer