Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Your opinion on MLS expansion.

Talk about MLS tifo or clubs here.

Unread postby uwmike » Mon Jul 1, 2013 11:56:31 pm

Does anyone else think that before MLS keeps expanding, they should relocate teams that aren't in good soccer markets, like New England and Chivas USA? It seems that it would make more sense to create 20 stable teams, before continuously adding more. I think creating solid fan bases should be the first priority in the league, since many of the worlds top leagues have approximately 20 teams anyway.
uwmike
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby Ultra666 » Tue Jul 2, 2013 4:26:48 am

New England, no.
Chivas USA, yes.
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby Llarian » Tue Jul 2, 2013 7:36:10 am

Ultra666 wrote:New England, no.
Chivas USA, yes.

Well, if you consider Boston proper a relocation, then I'd say yes to New England as well. But I don't think that's a relocation so much as fixing a stupid mistake.
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby RatCity » Tue Jul 2, 2013 11:44:09 am

I think New England is at a place like skc. They need a rebrand and a new location. Remember, they have a very successful history, and their team currently isn't that bad. I think it's just difficult to keep attendance up in a city that historically is a Red Sox town. Especially when your not even in the city.
RatCity
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Ultra666 » Tue Jul 2, 2013 11:56:12 am

No rebranding would be necessary for NE, just a better location.
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby Llarian » Tue Jul 2, 2013 1:02:22 pm

Ultra666 wrote:No rebranding would be necessary for NE, just a better location.

This. They do remarkably well given how far away from Boston they are. I think they would have no problems if their stadium were in/closer to Boston.
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby afecks » Tue Jul 2, 2013 1:10:51 pm

If SJ can play at Santa Clara Univ., NE should play at Harvard. Hell, they even did a test run already.
afecks
Past ECS Member

Unread postby uwmike » Tue Jul 2, 2013 8:48:08 pm

Llarian wrote:

This. They do remarkably well given how far away from Boston they are. I think they would have no problems if their stadium were in/closer to Boston.

Yeah, I assume more soccer specific stadiums are built outside urban areas (Carson instead of LA, Chester instead of Philly, Frisco instead of Dallas, etc.) due to cheaper land, which is an issue, because it would make it nearly impossible to put a team in Boston.
uwmike
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby Ultra666 » Wed Jul 3, 2013 4:51:06 am

uwmike wrote:
Llarian wrote:

Yeah, I assume more soccer specific stadiums are built outside urban areas (Carson instead of LA, Chester instead of Philly, Frisco instead of Dallas, etc.) due to cheaper land, which is an issue, because it would make it nearly impossible to put a team in Boston.

Same issue as NYC, and with enough money they will find a way to put a stadium in that city.
Kraft has the scratch, he is just unwilling to invest in his soccer club.
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby sueflaki » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:02:35 am

I think it might look like this within 3 years:

New York Cosmos
New York City FC
Seattle Sounders
Los Angeles Galaxy
Orlando City
Miami United
New England Revolution
Chicago Fire
Sporting Kansas City
Philadelphia Union
DC United
FC Dallas
Houston Dynamo
Real Salt Lake
Colorado Rapids
Vancouver Whitecaps
Toronto FC
Montreal Impact
Portland Timbers
Atlanta Silverbacks
Columbus Crew
San Jose Earthquakes
sueflaki
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby Futbol4Life » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:54:23 am

@sueflaki - what are you suggesting happened to NYRB and Chivas USA?
Futbol4Life
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby uwmike » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:34:45 pm

uwmike wrote:
Llarian wrote:
Ultra666 wrote:

Same issue as NYC, and with enough money they will find a way to put a stadium in that city.
Kraft has the scratch, he is just unwilling to invest in his soccer club.

If I was NE, I'd probably want to build a new stadium in Providence. Still NE territory, not too far from where they currently are, and I would think it would be significantly cheaper than finding a place and building in downtown Boston. Plus, for those in the Providence area that want to see a sporting event, driving a couple miles to watch soccer compared to over an hour to see baseball/basketball/hockey would be a huge plus for the people there.
uwmike
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby msilverstein47 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:38:25 am

Mike Bianchi
SPORTS COMMENTARY
4:36 p.m. EDT, August 10, 2013

Amid the elation, celebration and fluffy, feel-good civic pride of Orlando being on the verge of building a stadium and landing a Major League Soccer franchise, let's take a timeout and address the massively apathetic elephant in the room.

He represents a vast number of fans who have pretty much turned their back on professional sports franchises in Florida. And make no mistake about it, his enormous indifference is a huge obstacle if a professional soccer franchise is ever going to be a success in Central Florida.

I believe Orlando, which is the biggest metropolitan area in the country with only one big-time pro sports franchise, is ripe and ready to support the up-and-coming MLS.

Clearly, Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer and Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs believe Orlando will support MLS or they wouldn't have thrown their powerful political support behind investing an additional $20 million in public money to build a soccer-specific stadium. The eight members of the Tourist Development Council, which represents the region's hotel and theme-park industries, obviously believe Orlando will support soccer or they wouldn't have voted unanimously Friday to support a $94.5 million package that includes the $20 million for a soccer stadium.

Then again, it doesn't matter what the politicians and the pundits think. The fact is professional soccer is going nowhere in this city unless that big, fat, apathetic elephant in the room can be convinced and converted into a singing, chanting ticket-buying, pom-pom waving, property-destroying soccer fan.

And, believe me, it will take considerable doing to get that elephant off the couch and into the soccer stadium. Just ask practically every other professional sports franchise in our rootless, transient state. Even the NFL, the king of all sports in our country, is struggling to put fannies in the seats in our once football-fanatical pigskin peninsula.

The Tampa Bay Bucs were next-to-last in attendance last year, while the Miami Dolphins were 29th out of NFL's 32 teams. The Jacksonville Jaguars, a perennially losing franchise that often gets lampooned for covering its empty seats with tarps, dwarfed both the Bucs and Fins, but were still 20th in the league in attendance.

Major League Baseball is even worse. The Miami Marlins are dead-last among the league's 30 teams in average attendance, while the playoff-contending Tampa Bay Rays are next-to-last.

The NBA and NHL actually fare better. The Heat were third in the league in attendance last season, but what fan base wouldn't show up to watch LeBron lead the team to back-to-back championships. The Magic were 15th out of 30 teams despite having the worst record in the league. In hockey, the Tampa Bay Lightning were eighth out of 30 teams, while the Florida Panthers were 22nd out of 30 teams.

Surprisingly, college football attendance has also waned in recent years. UCF's problems filling its almost-new stadium have been well-documented, Miami's attendance is pathetic, Florida State isn't nearly what it once was and even the once-rabid University of Florida fan base is staying home in droves. Three years ago, the Gators had a decades-long streak of 137 straight home sellouts. Last season, they sold out only two of their seven home games.

We also can't ignore the MLS's miserable history in Florida. Let's not forget that back in 2001, the MLS folded the ill-fated Miami Fusion and Tampa Bay Mutiny, citing a lack of fan and corporate support. Those, of course, were more tumultuous times for the fledgling league. A decade ago, the MLS wasn't financially solvent, Tampa Bay didn't even have an owner and was operated by the league while Miami's owner had shallow pockets — a millionaire in a billionaire's game.

"The MLS is a much better product today and a league that's on the upswing," said Orlando City Soccer Club President Phil Rawlins, the man leading the effort to bring the MLS to town. "It was a very different time when Tampa and Miami failed."

He's absolutely right. The MLS, believe it or not, now has the third-highest average attendance numbers among America's traditional sports leagues. The NFL and Major League Baseball are first and second in average attendance per game, but the MLS is No. 3 — ahead of both the NBA and NHL. Granted, MLS teams play far fewer games than the NBA and NHL, but, still, you cannot ignore the growing popularity of soccer in this country.

You'd think if the MLS can be successful in cities like Seattle and Kansas City, it will thrive here in Orlando. Let's face it, Seattle and Kansas City both have NFL and Major League Baseball teams competing for interest and disposable income whereas Orlando is the biggest TV market in the country that possesses only one major league sports team. We're a melting pot area with more than 2 million people. We have a growing segment of our population from Latin America, where soccer is a religion. We also attract tourists from all over the world — many of whom might like to take in a soccer game while they're on vacation in Central Florida.

The MLS makes good sense logically, civically, geographically and demographically

At least that's what I believe.

What do you believe?

Better yet, what can we make the elephant believe?
msilverstein47
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby WheelDeal253 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:24:37 am

10,000 for a third division team in a friendly, two other games over 8000 this year. I think you're right about Miami, but I think Orlando is a totally different animal. They appear to be poised for a Montreal-esque launch into MLS.
WheelDeal253
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby Taly » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:34:55 pm

NO:
MLS expansion should not go to Miami, Atlanta or Minnesota unless they can get a soccer stadium with covered stands near downtown.

YES:
1) Sacramento Republic FC have a strong buzz with a lot of season tickets, good looking logo, an owner who wants an MLS stadium in downtown.

2) Detriot FC for sure https://www.weareecs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18835

3) Or course Orlando SC is 99% getting their MLS team.

4) Indy 11 would be a good choice that has a strong season ticket base, rapid supporter's group, and owner who wants a downtown soccer specific stadium.
Taly
Past ECS Member

PreviousNext

Return to MLS