Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Your opinion on MLS expansion.

Talk about MLS tifo or clubs here.

Unread postby Butters » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:22:59 pm

I agree that Orlando is ready to be in the League and has proven that they deserve to be. But as far as other teams go this "soccer specific stadium" crap pisses me off, its not the idea of a stadium thats ideally built for soccer but more that they all have capacity of 20000-25000. What if Seattle had that mindset going in, the team wouldent have exploded like it did, or continues to do as of recent. I'am not advocating NFL stadium with 85000 seats but I think 35000 isn't a crazy number to shoot for. Why put a limit on success is what I'am shooting at. Look at SKC and the rebranding of that team, every team in this league has a chance to still grow minus Chivas, but thats another whole topic.
Butters
Past ECS Member

Unread postby msilverstein47 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:26:51 am

msilverstein47
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby RatCity » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:31:14 am

Your assuming that attendance only expands. Time will tell how clubs like us and skc will do if we don't win.
RatCity
Past ECS Member

Unread postby MrB206 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:07:50 am

RatCity wrote:Your assuming that attendance only expands. Time will tell how clubs like us and skc will do if we don't win.

If the shitty Seahawks are any indication, the Sounders will be juuuuuuuuuust fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine. Those games sell out even when the Hawks were absolutely terrible, primarily due to the fact there are so few games.

We'll never see the crowd revolts like in MLB, because that game is saturated with games. It's the "we'll go to the next one" mentality... we don't have that in MLS, so I don't see the demand ever going down that much. Of course, I'm an optimist.
MrB206
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Yoda » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:49:06 am

Bold by me.

MrB206 wrote:If the shitty Seahawks are any indication, the Sounders will be juuuuuuuuuust fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine. Those games sell out even when the Hawks were absolutely terrible, primarily due to the fact there are so few games.

17 home games (or 17+1) per season is more than 8 HG per season. The attendance the hawks pull, even in a bad year, has also a lot to do with football (the American kind) being the top sport in this country.

I'm not sure the Sounders will pull 40K if they hit a bad spell of over season or two... and yes, I am an optimist... :-)
Yoda
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby MrB206 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:29:11 am

I guess I was trying to compare the MLS and NFL to MLB and the NBA. Attendance at baseball and basketball games dive when teams are shit and with so many games, there's less incentive to bother going. Sounders matches, like NFL games, are special, because they're 1 day a week and have a lot of fanfair that you don't see with Baseball, baskeball or hockey.

But that aside, call me a bright-eyed optimist, but I think the Sounders are akin to the Cubs. The Cubs haven't been shit since the 90s, yet they have die-hard fans and decent to good attendance. Seattle seems to love the Sounders, even though the team hasn't really done much to warrant the undying love (unlike how people feel about the Yankees, Red Sox or the L.A Lakers or Dallas Cowboys). Maybe there's a kitsch-y fad of liking soccer that will die off in the yuppie community if/when the Sounders perform poorly, but I honestly don't think that's going to happen.
MrB206
Past ECS Member

Unread postby msilverstein47 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:50:31 am

msilverstein47
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby msilverstein47 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:18:20 am

msilverstein47
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby Cutriss » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:24:52 am

uwmike wrote:
uwmike wrote:
Llarian wrote:Yeah, I assume more soccer specific stadiums are built outside urban areas (Carson instead of LA, Chester instead of Philly, Frisco instead of Dallas, etc.) due to cheaper land, which is an issue, because it would make it nearly impossible to put a team in Boston.

Same issue as NYC, and with enough money they will find a way to put a stadium in that city.
Kraft has the scratch, he is just unwilling to invest in his soccer club.

If I was NE, I'd probably want to build a new stadium in Providence. Still NE territory, not too far from where they currently are, and I would think it would be significantly cheaper than finding a place and building in downtown Boston. Plus, for those in the Providence area that want to see a sporting event, driving a couple miles to watch soccer compared to over an hour to see baseball/basketball/hockey would be a huge plus for the people there.
I actually heard on the radio this morning about a large-scale development New Balance is sponsoring in Allston/Brighton which would have a sizeable new sports complex, apparently with a soccer facility. Supposedly there's non-serious talk of the Bruins moving there.

http://wgbhnews.org/post/half-billion-d ... -cityscape

Article is scant on details compared with what the reporter said. In looking up the Wikipedia article on the team's history, supposedly there's been long discussions about putting it in Somerville but it's been taking forever. I'm kinda surprised Kraft isn't looking at taking over the old Ikea space now that Ikea's not coming to Somerville. The Assembly Square stop on the Orange Line will be done next year too.
Cutriss
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby msilverstein47 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:37:13 pm

Minnesota Vikings involved with MLS???

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/12/min ... -plan.html
msilverstein47
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby superpuppy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:06:31 pm

msilverstein47 wrote:Minnesota Vikings involved with MLS???

I don't understand the confusion? Isn't this exactly what Seattle did? Seems to have worked pretty well... :)
superpuppy
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby msilverstein47 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:19:23 am

Major League Soccer expansion franchise Orlando City SC will play the entirety of their debut season in 2015 at the Citrus Bowl, thanks to a snag involving land rights for the club’s proposed soccer-specific stadium in downtown Orlando.

http://orlandocitysoccer.com/news/?article_id=1815
msilverstein47
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby C.How » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:59:07 pm

Garber got too greedy. NYCFC, Atlanta, maybe Miami have implosion potential. Atlanta & Minnesota are agressive fuck-yous to the existing NASL teams in those cities. Also what's to become of Chivas USA could get laughable quick.
C.How
Past ECS Member

Previous

Return to MLS