Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Your opinion on MLS expansion.

Talk about MLS tifo or clubs here.

Unread postby Butters » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:20:12 pm

Who do y'all think is deserving of an MLS team for #21? I was really surprised when the whole NYCFC announcement was made. Personally, I don't think any market should have two teams yet... I ever. Rumors are pointing to a Florida team ( which if Iam thinking correctly two have failed) or Atlanta. I can see why they would want a team in the southeast but I as a fan think ST. Louis is the best bet if they can get a stadium...
Butters
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby UnforgivenPotato » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:08:51 pm

I feel a lot of attention will go to the east coast. You'll probably see Houston back in the western conf.
UnforgivenPotato
Past ECS Member

Unread postby asoc » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:51:41 pm

I want Orlando city in.

I think they will try to go for two teams at once on the next expansion.
One or possibly both will be in Florida.

St Louis had an NASL or USL Pro team, cant remember which, and they folded after a few years.
Its not that they weren't as wildly successful as some of the other lower division teams but that they folded. The right ownership could come around for them, they haven't had it yet though. Until then other cities are ahead of them.

I think Beckham is looking at Miami.

Atlanta is a possibility but I don't know much about it.
Same with Minneapolis.
San Antonio is another option down the road.

Apparently RSL wasn't the original expansion team planned to come in with chivas USA. So you never know.
People were discounting Seattle right before we were announced.

As with any expansion, the right ownership and a good stadium situation are needed.
asoc
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby delmundo » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:52:59 pm

St Louis, Atlanta

*edit* let me take that back.
I'd like to see the the league use the fees to fix New England, move chivas to AZ or San Diego or something, and give DC a hand.
delmundo
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Llarian » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:01:05 pm

I have a feeling the next two will be Orlando and Miami, both brought in at the same time.

Orlando because they now have an investor, growing and impressive fanbase and a stadium is in the works.

Miami, because Beckham.

Both at the same time, because it doesn't leave one or the other out in a region by themselves, and I'm sure MLS is thinking "Hey, instant rivalry!". Cause, well, that's how MLS thinks.
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby Butters » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:31:22 pm

I would hate to see two teams from Florida at the same time... But I think Miami & Atlanta makes sense... I like Minneapolis. But Delmundo has a point.. Ive been to a couple revolution games, if anyone needs a soccer specific stadium its them. Chivas needs a miracle, but I think DC will be fine they were the original gem of MLS fam support, but they really need a new place to play and some transactions, but I dont think they need help from the league.
Butters
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby endlessrevolt » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:59:54 pm

If the league lobbied for a stadium for DCU as hard as they did for the flushing meadows park for NY2, DC would have been in a shiny new stadium years ago.
endlessrevolt
Past ECS Member

Unread postby MrB206 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:21:25 am

I wonder about expansion.

My brother and others I know outside WA are baffled at how us Cascadians are so into soccer, while the Hispanic community in this country isn't. It's counter-intuitive to many and to me, putting a team in Miami is a terrible idea. If he's trying to vie for the Hispanic attendance, he needs to take a trip to Carson and see how poorly they're supporting Chivas (even when they were doing better, it was still shite attendance).

I don't know the country needs more teams... other than putting one in Sacramento and drawing off that population that doesn't align with San Jose (you should hear my brother bitch about having to drive 3-4 hours to see a match), there aren't too many markets that can really drawn fans or tap into a new fan base.
MrB206
Past ECS Member

Unread postby TraditionalSkin89 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:58:42 am

Not NY
TraditionalSkin89
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Llarian » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:21:13 pm

TraditionalSkin89 wrote:Not NY

You mean NY2 (done deal), or not NY3 (Cosmos)?

I don't actually mind NY2 that much, although I'm not a huge fan of their ownership group. NY3 would be disastrous, I'm guessing that press release was more a PR stunt by the Cosmos than anything real however. Like, "Look at us! We might be relevant someday!"
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby ericgi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:00:50 am

make any/all of these prospective teams start in USL or NASL and prove they're deserving of coming up over a period of time.
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby eastside » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:39:16 pm

ericgi wrote:make any/all of these prospective teams start in USL or NASL and prove they're deserving of coming up over a period of time.

So, kind of like being promoted to the MLS maybe?
eastside
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Butters » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:40:00 pm

I dont think the NASL is a good reflection of potential expansion teams, for a few reasons.
1. The NASL dosent attract a large casual fanbase.
2. The rosters are not strong... If a team got promoted they would scrap most if not all of the roster...
3. The NASL is small... No teams west of texas, whenever a NASL team does become an MLS team they have to create another franchise to keep the NASL competitive.

I think in the next five years there will probably be two more teams added.. But I think 22 is a good number to stay at, 11 teams for each conference.
I favor relocation though... Move chivas to San Fran maybe? Move the Revolution into Boston.. Get them a 30000 seat soccer specific stadium. AND DC NEEDS A NEW FRIGGEN STADIUM.
Butters
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby ericgi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:16:14 pm

NASL has Indy Eleven, Ottawa Fury, Cosmos coming within the next year... they seem to be expanding fairly aggressively. Indy seem off to a good start with season tix deposits too.

It's not entirely accurate as to MLS potential, but the ones that *do* do well, I think that's a good sign.
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby Llarian » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:09:00 am

Yeah, I think that's selling the NASL and even USL-Pro short. They seem to have realized that soccer is increasing dramatically in the US and they're targeting under-served by MLS markets pretty effectively. They've attracted some decent talent now as well.

I feel like the top of NASL in terms of talent would have a pretty good shot (say, 50/50) at the worst MLS team (Chivas and DC I guess?), which I think is exactly where a 2nd tier needs to be.
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Next

Return to MLS