Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Next stage of growth of the MLS

Talk about MLS tifo or clubs here.

Unread postby jbraaten » Fri Aug 9, 2013 10:39:49 am

I've been having this conversation with a few people and would love some insight from the smart ones on the board.

MLS is growing, but still is in a "teenager" stage. People overseas are starting to recognize it more and more Americans are catching on. What are the next big things that need to happen to boost it into the next stage and how important are they? I know it's a mixture between signing big players, quality of play, tv coverage, USMNT performance, league expansion, etc. What steps do you think will happen between now and when we have one of the top leagues in the world (in all aspects)? I know it takes time but it's little by little. My thoughts are we are in need of the next big tv contract since so much of European club's income come from that and it allows bigger exposure.
jbraaten
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Butters » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:25:59 pm

Well after the all star announcment concerning expansion, I think they need to think very carefully about who gets the teams. Personally I think Orlando FC, the Atl Silverbacks, and the St Louis area should get an MLS team. After that a good Tv program, I really liked the MLS breakway on NBC sports last weekend. Besides that quality of play for sure the Dempsey move is great for american soccer and might help get more quality players to the league. Chivas just needs to go.. Watching a game with a quarter of the stadium (if that) full is just not good. After this expansion period I think the league needs to have a plan on how to make every team a Sounders, Sporting KC, Impact, Portland etc.
Butters
Past ECS Member

Unread postby WheelDeal253 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:25:34 pm

21 seems to be a foregone conclusion; Orlando City. But it wouldn't surprise me if FC Beckham beats them to the league. I would be really interested to see what happens with Chivas in the next 3 years, because there could be either 2 or 3 spots left for expansion. Other than Miami and Orlando though, let's get them first and see if anyone basically steps forward a la OCFC, with impressive ownership, willing city, and fervent supporters (see: NOT NY Cosmos).
WheelDeal253
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby Llarian » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:49:07 pm

WheelDeal253 wrote:21 seems to be a foregone conclusion; Orlando City. But it wouldn't surprise me if FC Beckham beats them to the league. I would be really interested to see what happens with Chivas in the next 3 years, because there could be either 2 or 3 spots left for expansion. Other than Miami and Orlando though, let's get them first and see if anyone basically steps forward a la OCFC, with impressive ownership, willing city, and fervent supporters (see: NOT NY Cosmos).

I'm still pretty convinced they'll bring in Orlando and Beckham FC (in Miami) at the same time to try to bill it as an instant rivalry.
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby WheelDeal253 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:08:18 pm

I agree completely, seems right about MLS' alley. I just don't know if Miami will be ready to play 2015 season. Orlando would be fine for a year or even two without a billed, garber-induced rivalry. My hesitation with Miami is the people don't support average teams, they would certainly crumble in attendance if their team was below average for more than a couple years. IMO, Miami is wrong for the league, but they're a long way away from playing. MLS spots 21-24 are just too valuable for me to just give teams based solely on the fact that they promised DB one.
WheelDeal253
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby jbraaten » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:52:08 am

The recent round of interviews with Dempsey was great as it put a huge star on international and non-soccer related screens talking about MLS and SSFC. I've talked to more people who are taking an interest (or at least hearing a lot about) American soccer/Sounders now that Dempsey stirred the media by signing with us. Things like this are giving MLS the spotlight and the attention it needs to grow into different markets.
jbraaten
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Count Mackula » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:56:50 pm

Orlando seems like a foregone conclusion at this point.
Miami is the worst sports supporting population in the country, followed closely by Atlanta in my opinion. I hope they BOTH don't get teams.
My loooong shot would be Birmingham. Much bigger population than people realize, I think a team would be supported like gangbusters.
Would love to see San Antonio but another Texas team would be too much.
Count Mackula
Past ECS Member

Unread postby jbraaten » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:48:51 pm

The funny thing is wherever Beckham wants to be and plant a team, there will be a huge following. Just like these weird "hiked-up" jean shorts fashion coming out. Nobody knows how it's cool, but people want to be "hip" even when they don't know why.
jbraaten
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03:20 pm

don't know about the next stage, but when new stadiums come online that are designed with a supporter's terrace in mind, that'll be progress to me. In other words, NOT what was done in Houston, or red bull arena, etc.
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby Conflagration1974 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:41:01 pm

Like Philly? Supporters have their own gate but don't know what the terrace is like. Good terrace design is definitely important but if the stadium isn't even in the city everyone is going to have a hard time.  Philly, NY, huge markets, nice stadiums but good luck getting there and back. Basically away games for their own supporters.
ericgi wrote:don't know about the next stage, but when new stadiums come online that are designed with a supporter's terrace in mind, that'll be progress to me. In other words, NOT what was done in Houston, or red bull arena, etc.
Conflagration1974
ECS Leadership

Unread postby endlessrevolt » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:20:16 am

Philly's supporters section is the same deal as the rest of the recent stadiums. Wide and shallow.
endlessrevolt
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Conflagration1974 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:47:55 am

That's too bad. But hey who needs supporters when you can just have a guy yell the team's name over the loudspeaker every 15 minutes to create atmosphere. I'm looking at you Chivas.
Conflagration1974
ECS Leadership

Unread postby msilverstein47 » Mon Apr 7, 2014 6:19:46 am

Atlanta to MLS...sure sounds like a done deal

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/theg ... arket.html
msilverstein47
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby Ultra666 » Mon Apr 7, 2014 9:12:49 am

We need a couple more clubs out west...
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby Llarian » Mon Apr 7, 2014 9:33:03 am

By all accounts, Houston (good, they need to be in the same conference as Dallas) and SKC (Ugggghhh) will be West Conf within a couple years.

I have no idea who the 12th West team will end up being, but the above two are all but guaranteed.

Sucks, because neither of those teams are particularly West in terms of distance.
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Next

Return to MLS