Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

fully expect a labor action...

Talk about MLS tifo or clubs here.

Unread postby msilverstein47 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:32:31 am

msilverstein47
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby InvictusSounder » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:21:00 am

I'm super excited to see some movement towards labor issues in MLS. It's overdue, and many of these guys have far surpassed earning a better payoff for their investment.
InvictusSounder
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby msilverstein47 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:16:22 am

yeah, while I'm not convinced that free agency is currently in the cards for the players, there is no reason why the minimum salaries for USL PRO MLS players can't be raised to $60K and MLS roster players to $80K. I read a stat somewhere that the top 5% of MLS players make up 35% of salaries...that is the worst ratio in all of pro sports and it's not even close...
msilverstein47
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby SeattleCalcio » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:32:07 am

msilverstein47 wrote: there is no reason why the minimum salaries for USL PRO MLS players can't be raised to $60K and MLS roster players to $80K.

For the sake of clarity, there is no "USL PRO MLS Player" in a contractual sense. Some players who sign MLS contracts may be loaned down to a USL team. Within the current contractual setup, there is an age/experience breakdown that is used to have different minimum salaries like you described. Those numbers need to increase.
SeattleCalcio
ECS Leadership

Unread postby Leo Henton » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:10:13 am

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-soccer/19/blog/post/2313459/why-major-league-soccer-is-edging-toward-a-work-stoppage

Hyperlink to a pessimistic ESPN blog article dated February 23, 2015 about 50% - 50% chance of MLS Labor action soon.
Leo Henton
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:22:59 pm

100% behind the players here. Already have a salary cap, no sane reason why single entity w/o free agency is still necessary. Suck it, Garber
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby Llarian » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:28:36 pm

Intra-league free agency doesn't necessarily jeopardize the single entity system anyways. This is MLS doing everything they can to avoid allowing the players any sort of control.

Pretty much everybody except the league is on the players' side here.
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby IanFromEllensburg » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:07:27 am

Letting the strike go through on a season like this, with a new TV deal, is something just stupid enough that I can see MLS doing it.
IanFromEllensburg
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Leo Henton » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:48:14 am

A hyperlink to a February 26, 2015 blog article about posturing and speculation on MLS and players unions positions and tactics.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/02/26/why-a-long-and-bitter-mls-strike-is-unlikely/
Leo Henton
Past ECS Member

Unread postby asoc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:05:10 pm

I am not convinced there will be a strike or lockout. The talk in the media from the players is all negotiating tactics.

I am all for both sides negotiating this out. I don't have a problem with the players saying they are prepared to strike, and they likely are prepared.

Last CBA I was worried. It sounded bad in the media, then they got a mediator and hashed out a deal and the season went on as normal.

This time, they got the mediator in sooner. I wish they would just agree to have a mediator from the start in the future...

Both sides will push this to the deadline, again.

It is just how these negotiations happen.

WHEN there is an actual strike or lockout, then I will freak out some.

I am not convinced all MLS players deserve more money btw. Now, could MLS pay more and get BETTER players? definitely possible. But it doesn't mean each player currently in MLS deserves that cash over someone who is a better talent who a team can bring in.
asoc
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby rcvictorino » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:04:51 pm

The strike funds for the union are scarily low. They can't afford the strike - save for the big salary players. But I'm on their side with free agency. That should be a basic right of any professional athlete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rcvictorino
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Leo Henton » Wed Mar 4, 2015 10:50:17 am

The following is a hyperlink to a current March 4, 2015 blog article with some leaks of negotiations as of early a.m. 03-04-2015.

IMHO, I encourage readers, lurkers, fans and supporters to actually read this particular article. If this blogger has accurate information, the MLS Owners are completely full of it, to put it in polite terms.

Just my opinion above. :eyeroll:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/294992721.html

and a redundant hyperlink to a credible newspaper column:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2015/03/03/is-mls-on-the-verge-of-a-work-stoppage/
Last edited by Leo Henton on Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Henton
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Leo Henton » Wed Mar 4, 2015 10:58:27 am

A hyperlink to a web-page of a newspaper article that contains relative perspective of MLS situation in comparison to other futbol leagues worldwide, and domestic other sports.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/03/04/major-league-soccer-finds-labor-strife-its-door/1Ua5nbk80A5fAxdJ0yYGqN/story.html
Leo Henton
Past ECS Member

Unread postby asoc » Wed Mar 4, 2015 10:13:49 pm

No Strike, No lockout.
Players made some progress, just as they did last CBA.

Both sides negotiated, as was within their rights, and came to a deal. There was no bad blood in the press from either side, both sides kept things civil and mature.

Everybody wins.
------------------
There are some realities we have to deal with when supporting a team in this league.

The league is growing and doing better every year.
Each new TV deal is slowly getting better.
More money is indeed flowing into the the league and its teams via more sponsorships and higher paying sponsorships.
And the value of teams is going up as can be witnessed by recent expansion fees.

However, you never want to use expansion fees, as a way to spend on players. They are one off fees that can not be counted upon in the future. They should be used to invest in infrastructure and pay off debts which will provide more for everyone involved with the league long term.

It was not that long ago the league contracted teams and there were owners who ran multiple teams to help save the league rather than watch it disappear after a few years. They moved San Jose to Houston. And then RSL was actually in bad straights at the height of their success because of their stadium deal. Chivas USA who started out quite well bombed out of the league because of shitty ownership and FO, not because of the Chivas branding as the internet will have you believe.

The original investors in MLS, while extremely wealthy, weren't in it just for the money. I think the majority of the owners in this league legitimately care about growing the sport in this Country. The early owners who kept losing money year after year who kept reinvesting when others were dropping out are what kept this league around for Seattle to join in 2009. Because it wasn't the fans. If the league had the fan support and TV ratings obviously they wouldn't have been in the dire straights they were in.

All that aside, the league is ever solidifying its foundation.
New stadiums going up consistently(this does create debt that needs to be paid off). Attendance finally showing a steady increase year over year. TV numbers showing small but steady improvements.

We aren't there yet, but the foundation is solid provided it isn't blown up.
So far so good.

I expect the next CBA to be similar to this one. Both sides will start at more extreme ends as a negotiating tactic, they will get together and work out a deal that is progress.
asoc
ECS Member 2018

Unread postby Llarian » Wed Mar 4, 2015 11:34:29 pm

That's probably the best high-level and reasoned overview of the CBA stuff I've read yet. Bravo for no histrionics...
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Next

Return to MLS