Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Relegation and Promotion

Talk about MLS tifo or clubs here.

Unread postby Butters » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:02:54 pm

What is everyones opinions on relegation and promotion? Personally, I think maybe it would be great if one day perhaps soccer was popular enough in America that this was a subject that was on ESPN every night however, it isn't. I don't see anyway it could work in MLS for numerous reasons, Number one being that it is not how American sports culture is. 2. the way stadiums are funded with taxpayer money which is hard enough already, with the GUARANTEE that there will be a top-tier team playing in said stadium. 3. Right now the league is a single entity, the league also owns the contracts…so when a team is relegated to the NASL all the players would just go back to MLS as allotted played. This subject is just something I want an intelligent debate or discussion about, because it seems most people don't understand that MLS is ran way, way different then any other Football league, or sports league for that matter. The only way I could it happening is there being an MLS and MLS 2 perhaps? Would I love to see it in my lifetime? YES! But I would not want it now, not in 5,10,15 years even maybe way down the road this could be something that could work…. Not every city is Seattle, or Portland when it comes to soccer, right now if the Galaxy dropped to the NASL what would happen? 98 Percent of Americans wouldn't even grasp that concept, and attendance would probably drop to chivas levels. I would love to hear ideas how it COULD WORK though!
Butters
ECS Member 2019
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:56:03 pm

Unread postby wampXstomp » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:28:37 am

Butters wrote: This subject is just something I want an intelligent debate or discussion about


Unfortunately, there are some in the US soccer fan world that have made that completely impossible (aka Ted @soccerreform) with his bullying and conspiracy allogations against anyone, fans and journalist, that disagrees or just has a different opinion.

Butters wrote: The only way I could it happening is there being an MLS and MLS 2 perhaps? Would I love to see it in my lifetime? YES! But I would not want it now, not in 5,10,15 years even maybe way down the road this could be something that could work


This is exactly the answer you will get from most. Everyone would love it but it just isn't feasible in the current US soccer landscape. And if it was going to be it would be 10-15yrs and most likely a MLS and MLS2. Which we could be seeing with USL applying for second division and NASL slowly getting it's best teams poached to MLS. I would like 3 levels. MLS, MLS2 (current USL), USL (which would be where the reserve squads play and can't move up the pyramid) and would be great to add USL PDL and NPSL to this if they have ambition owners that want to move up.

Right now USSF has no interest, incentive, and need to force a true pro/rel pyramid. So if it ever happens will most likely be like you said with MLS growing so large they just split in to two.
User avatar
wampXstomp
ECS Member 2019
 
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue Sep 1, 2009 8:55:14 pm

Unread postby futbolgirl » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:35:06 am

You just couldn't let it sit here unaddressed, could you? :shakehead:

oh boy. :hide:
User avatar
futbolgirl
ECS Co-President
 
Posts: 5160
Joined: Tue Feb 9, 2010 3:56:40 am
Location: North Seattle

Unread postby wampXstomp » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:55:30 am

futbolgirl wrote:You just couldn't let it sit here unaddressed, could you? :shakehead:

oh boy. :hide:



I tried, tried so hard. Ignored it last night. But then felt bad this morning that no one was answering Butters. I dropped a tear with every word typed. :hidechair:
User avatar
wampXstomp
ECS Member 2019
 
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue Sep 1, 2009 8:55:14 pm

Unread postby rcmakris » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:29:19 pm

i let it sit had to. not worth it
User avatar
rcmakris
Past ECS Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:05:17 am

Unread postby RatCity » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:32:18 pm

Oh butters. Poor poor butters. No idea what hes/shes done. I'll get the torches and pitch forks out again guys.
User avatar
RatCity
Past ECS Member
 
Posts: 3406
Joined: Sun May 2, 2010 11:30:58 pm

Unread postby Llarian » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:42:41 pm

If anybody inadvertently summons Ted to the ECS forums I will end you...
User avatar
Llarian
ECS Leadership
 
Posts: 6925
Joined: Tue May 3, 2011 10:27:20 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Unread postby bougiehoolie » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:15:36 pm

Llarian wrote:If anybody inadvertently summons Ted to the ECS forums I will end you...


Can't we find his IPs and simply block them?
User avatar
bougiehoolie
ECS Co-President
 
Posts: 2436
Joined: Sat Mar 2, 2013 10:29:19 pm

Unread postby Butters » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:53:09 pm

It looks like I need to find some article or something this Ted fella wrote that I missed. I'm currently safe in Florida from pitchforks and stake burnings...
Butters
ECS Member 2019
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:56:03 pm

Unread postby rcmakris » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:33:05 am

I advise you don't find him.
User avatar
rcmakris
Past ECS Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:05:17 am

Unread postby delmundo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:19:02 am

I'm bored, why not let the party begin? Don't fear the reaper, take him by the hand.

No 3rd division, leave that for development.
Make NASL combine wilt the MLS 2 or whatever.

MLS is going to get what what, 30 plus teams? Make 1st division 20 teams, 2nd division 20.
Whoever doesn't get into the playoffs (since its like 12 teams anyways, make it 15) bottom 5 go down.
Top 4 in level 2 playoffs come up, plus supporters shield winner form level 2.

We'll use revenue sharing single entity to put enough fans in each club for level 1 and 2 that the owners won't bitch about spending so much money to get dropped a division, and their fancy stadiums can still get paid for. Let Beckham and Miami wallow in the 2nd division for while and everybody else gets an expansion club.

Now Charleston, Rochester, St Louis and Sacramento get the clubs they deserve. Portland goes down because they just suck. NYCFC gets dropped because they're not really real anyways. Atlanta comes in, then gets dropped, because it should have been Charleston in the first place. Tampa Bay can replace Orlando in the top division by way of natural selection. Chivas comes back as LA 2, buys everything they can think of because of their owner Tan, they get a away with it because everybody loves their other owner Mia Hamm, but doesn't matter because Tan's teams always suck anyways and they get dropped to 2nd level too.

Toronto bounces back and forth because they can't win anything now, but with this system, every other year they get to win a playoff game.

Let Puerto Rico Islanders can come back and be dealt with in division 2 and stop fucking up the CCL by qualifying out of, well however the fuck they manage to qualify for that. And LA is no longer embarrassed.

This even lets San Jose have their real Ultras because they can be tough guys in the second division proving to the world that they ARE real Ultras now because they are so real they even exist in the second division.

And now that we finally have promotion and relegation, all the Euro Snobs will come home to support their local club because now its real football, and the rest of the world will come to consider us one to top leagues in the world say, around 2020? 2020 is the plan still right?

This puts us in perfect shape to win the World Cup in Qatar because promotion and relegation will magically make our National Team better. That and Europe will boycott it because it messes up there schedule in the winter, and we'll be awesome because we just finished the MLS finals in great form.

Pretty much solves all of our problems expect tearing down buildings in downtown Seattle to put our own SOCCER specific 70,000 seat stadium with grass that we don't have to share with "throwball"....because that is what is keeping us from being considered respectable.

Can't go wrong.
Sorry Butters :twisted:
User avatar
delmundo
ECS Member 2019
 
Posts: 1616
Joined: Tue Apr 7, 2009 6:33:46 pm
Location: Bonney Lake

Unread postby delmundo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:22:25 am

I'm bored, why not let the party begin? Don't fear the reaper, take him by the hand.

No 3rd division, leave that for development.
Make NASL combine wilt the MLS 2 or whatever.

MLS is going to get what what, 30 plus teams? Make 1st division 20 teams, 2nd division 20.
Whoever doesn't get into the playoffs (since its like 12 teams anyways, make it 15) bottom 5 go down.
Top 4 in level 2 playoffs come up, plus supporters shield winner form level 2.

We'll use revenue sharing single entity to put enough fans in each club for level 1 and 2 that the owners won't bitch about spending so much money to get dropped a division, and their fancy stadiums can still get paid for. Let Beckham and Miami wallow in the 2nd division for while and everybody else gets an expansion club.

Now Charleston, Rochester, St Louis and Sacramento get the clubs they deserve. Portland goes down because they just suck. NYCFC gets dropped because they're not really real anyways. Atlanta comes in, then gets dropped, because it should have been Charleston in the first place. Tampa Bay can replace Orlando in the top division by way of natural selection. Chivas comes back as LA 2, buys everything they can think of because of their owner Tan, they get a away with it because everybody loves their other owner Mia Hamm, but doesn't matter because Tan's teams always suck anyways and they get dropped to 2nd level too.

Toronto bounces back and forth because they can't win anything now, but with this system, every other year they get to win a playoff game.

Let Puerto Rico Islanders can come back and be dealt with in division 2 and stop fucking up the CCL by qualifying out of, well however the fuck they manage to qualify for that. And LA is no longer embarrassed.

This even lets San Jose have their real Ultras because they can be tough guys in the second division proving to the world that they ARE real Ultras now because they are so real they even exist in the second division.

And now that we finally have promotion and relegation, all the Euro Snobs will come home to support their local club because now its real football, and the rest of the world will come to consider us one to top leagues in the world say, around 2020? 2020 is the plan still right?

This puts us in perfect shape to win the World Cup in Qatar because promotion and relegation will magically make our National Team better. That and Europe will boycott it because it messes up there schedule in the winter, and we'll be awesome because we just finished the MLS finals in great form.

Pretty much solves all of our problems expect tearing down buildings in downtown Seattle to put our own SOCCER specific 70,000 seat stadium with grass that we don't have to share with "throwball"....because that is what is keeping us from being considered respectable.

Can't go wrong.
Sorry Butters :twisted:

Oh, are we going to have an MLS Tifo thread this year? Big Soccer irritates me for some reason, so I won't sign up. But because of that, I can't see the little pictures you have to click on in the supporters picture thread.
User avatar
delmundo
ECS Member 2019
 
Posts: 1616
Joined: Tue Apr 7, 2009 6:33:46 pm
Location: Bonney Lake

Unread postby RatCity » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:16:34 am

Butters wrote:It looks like I need to find some article or something this Ted fella wrote that I missed. I'm currently safe in Florida from pitchforks and stake burnings...


Our reach is swift and infinite :P
User avatar
RatCity
Past ECS Member
 
Posts: 3406
Joined: Sun May 2, 2010 11:30:58 pm

Unread postby Butters » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:14:12 pm

Alright so I read some of the articles on soccer reform and read some of this dudes tweets, I don't agree with everything he says, nor do I disagree with everything he says. To me he seems like a soccer fundamentalist or purist for lack of a better term. I'm fine with the way MLS now because 20 years ago the owners made a gamble with THEIR money, there was no gurantee that it would have turned out the way it did. Right now I think we need to develope players and maybe get to 26 teams, push for an average 20000 plus attendance. There isn't going to be a change in the next ten years…. IMO.
Butters
ECS Member 2019
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:56:03 pm

Unread postby RatCity » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:18:14 pm

I think thats a pretty fair assesment. A lot if us want pro/rel but if we're being realistic most of us understand that we are some time from seeing it. Soccer still needs to grow more in the states.
User avatar
RatCity
Past ECS Member
 
Posts: 3406
Joined: Sun May 2, 2010 11:30:58 pm


Return to MLS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests