Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

How MLS Live screws SSFC supporters

Talk about MLS tifo or clubs here.

Unread postby ssfcdsg » Mon Jan 4, 2016 12:07:36 pm

Unlike many of you I am a Supporter that lives elsewhere, so I have to catch the team on an east coast swing or when I am back in town on a visit. So, I must enroll in MLS Live to see the matches. I may not do so again next season. Here’s why.

In the 2015 season, 12 of 34 games were televised nationally on ESPN or FS. This is great for the casual fan who has cable, but its bad if you don't pay for cable and opt instead for MLS Live. Nationally televised games are blacked out on MLS Live. Thus, SSFC supporters depending on MLS Live missed 3 of 3 Portland and 3 of 3 LA Galaxy matches.

Of the remaining 22 games featured on MLS Live, a stunning 17 were offered only with the opponent's broadcast. Against Vancouver, 3 of 3 regular season matches featured Vancouver broadcasters. Say what you will about the (former) dynamic duo of Ross & Kasey, it is much less pleasant to watch Cascadia games with the homers gloating about the superior quality of their underrated squad, or constantly bemoaning the squalid nature of the CLink turf. Although there is some truth on the latter score, it gets awfully tiresome to hear so much about it throughout every broadcast.

Summary: only 5 of 34 matches on the season were offered on MLS Live with the SSFC broadcast. That is, more than 3/4 of the 22 matches offered featured the opponent's broadcast. Why so much anti-SSFC bias? Isn’t it reasonable to demand equity, or better yet – and in line with all of the other major sports leagues – shouldn’t MLS offer a CHOICE between the home and away broadcast on MLS Live?
ssfcdsg
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby futbolgirl » Mon Jan 4, 2016 1:48:14 pm

VPN via Mexico.
futbolgirl
ECS Co-President

Unread postby Maize_Rage » Fri Jan 8, 2016 9:25:16 am

I had MLS live this past season and wasn't the greatest fan of it either. The home/away feeds is one thing that could greatly improve it. I wasn't also happy that I couldn't get the post season matches with it as well as the univision ones. Probably won't renew this season & find other ways to view.
Maize_Rage
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Llarian » Fri Jan 8, 2016 9:55:33 am

Its also a crap shoot as to which broadcast you get...

A lot of teams have really really bad broadcast teams.
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby Nicholaus » Fri Jan 8, 2016 10:40:09 am

That's what I liked about having the NHL gamecenter, you could choose between the home/away feeds on the fly.
Nicholaus
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby ssfcdsg » Fri Jan 8, 2016 10:49:43 am

True of MLB also - home/away broadcast always an option.

The MLS representative stated that this option would cost more, and they want to keep costs below $80 for the season. So, what if they offered a 2-tiered model - no choice vs choice?
ssfcdsg
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby DicemanSTL » Fri Jan 8, 2016 10:06:28 pm

ssfcdsg wrote:True of MLB also - home/away broadcast always an option.

The MLS representative stated that this option would cost more, and they want to keep costs below $80 for the season. So, what if they offered a 2-tiered model - no choice vs choice?

I always keep a few good VPN providers in the pocket for situations like this. As said previously, just get a VPN from Mexico or the UK and use a chromecast to send it to your TV.
DicemanSTL
ECS Member 2019

Return to MLS