Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Cambridge United FC

Talk about the Rest of the World's football clubs and tifo here.

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:20:30 am

I'm not sure just how aware you are about the partnership between our clubs, so some of the stuff I say here may sound basic, but I thought I'd update you seeing as though we're having some success this season.

As you may or may not know, we are both connected through Adrian Hanauer, and quite a lot of us put in votes for the Sounders to keep your name when you go into the MLS. We have a small section about your club in every matchday programme, and there's a fair few of us who have a pretty big interest in you (we read over here you were trying to get Thierry Henry for 2009?!)

Anyway, we're playing in the 5th tier of English football, the Blue Square Conference Premier, one league below the "proper" leagues of the Football League. The Blue Square Premier is the top league of non-league football, and about 20 of the 24 clubs are professional anyway, many teams in this league are better than those in the league above.

We nearly got relegated last season, but have seen a total transformation this season, and are now guaranteed a playoff place after a 2-0 win at home to Torquay last night. We've got one game left away at Northwich Victoria on Saturday, and then after that we'll either be playing Burton Albion or Exeter City in our playoff semi-final, the winners of that go to Wembley for the playoff final and a chance to get promotion into the Football League, along with Aldershot, who have already won our league.

Just this year Setanta UK signed up a TV deal to show about 70 live Blue Square Premier games over the season, and this means that both legs of our playoff semi final will be live on Setanta, as well as the final, so should you have enough of an interest in us, I imagine there'll be an online stream, or you may even find a local bar which may pick up UK Setanta. The 2 semi finals (played over 2 legs, or a 2 game series if you like) will be on seperate days, meaning the first games will be on either Thursday 1st May or Friday 2nd May, and then the 2nd legs on Monday 5th May or Tuesday 6th May. It's looking very probable that we'll play on the Friday and the Tuesday, and kick off will be 7.45pm ENGLISH time, which I guess is about 12.45 your time? (I'm only familiar with the East coast time difference). The final, should we get there, will be on Sunday 18th May at Wembley, where (we think) kick off is 6pm English time.

All the best :D
Last edited by Tom_CUFC on Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Ultra666 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:30:21 am

Thanks for the update on CUFC.
After the initial announcement that Adrian would be investing in your club, we have heard very little.
I am sure he has been very busy with bringing in the MLS club.

I want to thank you guys for getting behind us and helping to preserve the Sounders name and history.
It really does mean allot to us.

It's also good to hear that CUFC is having a good season.
Good luck with the playoffs, we will be pulling for you guys.
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby Ultras Blue » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:33:43 am

Good job on the playoff spot, will definetely watch it on Setanta, I had my time playing with all these Confrence squads in FM08 :)
Ultras Blue
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby screamer » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:28:33 am

Good to hear from you. Hope the rest of your season goes well. I would still like to make it to the Abbey one of these days. Perhaps you'll have moved up by then, go Ambers!
screamer
Past ECS Member

Location: Poverty Bay Latitude: 47.34972 Longitude: -122.33472

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:08:14 pm

Northwich Victoria 0-2 Cambridge United
Torquay United 1-2 Crawley Town
Burton Albion 4-4 Exeter City

Means this;

1 Aldershot 46 101
-- -------------------------------------------
2 Cambridge Utd 46 86
3 Torquay 46 86
4 Exeter 46 83
5 Burton Albion 46 81
--------------------------------------------
6 Stevenage 46 79

Friday 2nd May - Burton Albion vs Cambridge United 19:45 GMT
Tuesday 6th May - Cambridge United vs Burton Albion 19:30 GMT

Come on youuuuuuuuuu Uuuuuuuuuuuuu's

Enjoy :D
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby tallguy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:24:27 am

Good Luck! I will certainly be pulling for you lads! :tatice:
tallguy
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Sat May 3, 2008 3:48:52 pm

2-2 after the first leg last night, 0-0 at half time but we found ourselves 2-0 down with 12 minutes left to play, but Lee McEvilly came on as a sub and scored a penalty and then a cracking free kick to send us in level for the 2nd leg at the Abbey on Tuesday night. The nerves are kicking in already, ground is almost sold out and we're just 90 minutes from Wembley!

The first goal from the fans view
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5eo6QW4ZG8&feature=related

First goal from the TV view
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZWbLB9HTjc

2nd goal from fans view (have to have sharp eyes for this one!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkXbTRfDr-w
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SuperBayern » Sat May 3, 2008 4:39:06 pm

Absolutely brilliant free kick! Hope you guys get the result on Tuesday and make it to Wembley -- the Football League beckons for you guys!!!
SuperBayern
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Mon May 5, 2008 7:05:44 am

Better late than never, for those who are interested and have a bit of time, there's a great set of highlights on the following link from the TV pictures, gives you a better view of all our chances, all the goals, and just how great our fans are :)

http://www.zshare.net/video/1156276892de1fd6/

As for the other semi, Torquay were leading Exeter 2-1 after the first leg and went 1-0 up in the 2nd leg today with 25 minutes to go, but Exeter scored 4 goals in the last 20 minutes, including 2 in the last 5 minutes to go to Wembley, and they looked very good, so it'll be Exeter City vs Cambridge/Burton.

I'm nervous already!
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Shamrock » Mon May 5, 2008 5:48:46 pm

I visited the cambridge site but it's a little hard to navigate.
Shamrock
Past ECS Member

Unread postby screamer » Mon May 5, 2008 6:48:27 pm

Good video. Cambridge support sounded and looked great. Also, what a brilliant free-kick by McEvilly!
screamer
Past ECS Member

Location: Poverty Bay Latitude: 47.34972 Longitude: -122.33472

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Wed May 7, 2008 4:13:53 am

Wemberleeeeeee, Wemberleeeeee, we're the famous Cambridge United and we're going to Wembley :D

Unbelievable night, so nervous. We took the lead inside 30 seconds through a Rob Wolleaston tap in, but after that we were shocking for the rest of the half. They equalised about 10 minutes later from some shocking defending, more of which followed for the rest of the half, only saved by some magnificent saves from our goalkeeper.

Atmosphere was amazing second half, and I think we did literally suck the ball into the net for the 2nd, flukey cross that looped over the keeper into the far top corner, cue the mayhem in the stands! Went absolutely mental.

Last 22 minutes dragged on and on, but with no fingernails left he finally blew for time, poured on the pitch to celebrate, brilliant! Now we face Exeter City in the final on Sunday 18th May at 4pm GMT, live on Setanta, at WEMBLEY STADIUM!

I'm still buzzing and suspect I will be till I get in the ground in 9 days time, then the nerves will kick in again. Crowd was about 7,500 last night, but we sold out the home areas pretty much, it was just a rubbish following from Burton that stopped us from reaching capacity.

I'll stick the highlights up later for you when they get put up on t'internet. I'll give you some post match images and one of our ground (before the game) to enjoy for now :)

The Abbey Stadium last night - http://cufc4ever.fotopic.net/p50254528.html
Newmarket Road End
South Stand
Main Stand

This one is the players on the balcony....honest.
View of the fans from the Burton fans (South Stand)
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby pugsly » Wed May 7, 2008 7:10:13 am

Awesome U's!
pugsly
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby Ultra666 » Wed May 7, 2008 7:55:13 am

That is great!

Onto Wembley!
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby tallguy » Wed May 7, 2008 8:56:26 am