Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Cambridge United FC

Talk about the Rest of the World's football clubs and tifo here.

Unread postby S.S.C 78 » Wed May 7, 2008 12:12:48 pm

Up Cambridge!
S.S.C 78
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby ssfcultra » Wed May 7, 2008 12:30:37 pm

Up CUFC! I'm extremely happy our brothers are doing well!

Enjoy the new Wembley. I just read all about it in a copy of 4-4-2 I got from a friend a while back. The stadium seems super posh.

:disco:
ssfcultra
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Wed May 7, 2008 12:43:00 pm

I've been twice already, once for the first game there, and once for the NFL game in the Autumn, and whilst outside the ground is crap in both terms of exterior design and things to do (we'll just go to a pub in central London! :beer: ) outside the stadium, inside the stadium, at your seat, is amazing, and considering the "poor" atmosphere at the NFL game was still pretty loud, I imagine we'll create some pretty good noise in there, lets just hope they keep those freaking horns away.

Just watching the second-half back now, the commentator says of the crowd at the Abbey, "they make it sound like 70,000 at times" and Paul Parker: "they make a hell of a noise, I don't think there's a noisier crowd in this league."

Great to see you all being so good towards us too, reading all your comments make me feel even better after each game I've talked about, you're a top bunch. I'll make sure the guys on our messageboard are aware of your gratitude.
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby danimal » Wed May 7, 2008 12:57:54 pm

good luck at wembley!
danimal
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Thu May 8, 2008 3:07:16 pm

Goals from the second leg can be seen here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtbwQT13ug4[/youtube]

(mod note: edited so it can be embedded)
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Fri May 9, 2008 3:11:27 am

Extended highlights as well below, much better than just the goals. Just got my tickets this morning, can't wait!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNjjW4eb8cA[/youtube]
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ssfcultra » Fri May 9, 2008 11:09:13 am

Tom, I know some of the lads wanted to get some CUFC gear but are having a difficult go at it. Would you and your lads be interested in doing a jersey swap or anything of the sort?
ssfcultra
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Fri May 9, 2008 12:35:22 pm

http://www.theusonline.co.uk/ is the web address for our club shop. Looks like international postage is ?15. There should be some Wembley/Playoff stuff on there from tomorrow, and just to note, our away jersey will be changing next season. Ebay.co.uk could be your friend as well, particularly after the playoff final.

If that's still causing problems, I'm more than happy myself to try and help out getting some gear over, be it getting it myself and having the money paid through paypal or something, or as you say, through some sort of swapping scheme, and I imagine there'd be plenty of CUFC fans willing to do the same. If you get a general idea of what people are after, I'll do my best for you.
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Fri May 9, 2008 1:27:26 pm

Awesome stuff!

Just reminds me why I like lower division football sooooo much better than the corporate/prawn sandwich brigade atmospheres at many Premiership grounds. Real fans can afford to go and those that are there are there because they love their team no matter what.

C'mon the U's!!!
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby Shamrock » Mon May 12, 2008 7:45:07 pm

once i get some dough to spend, i will purchase a scarf and hat pin
Shamrock
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Thu May 15, 2008 4:04:17 am

Time to start getting excited :D In 72 hours time I'll just be arriving in central London in our designated pre-match boozer with the rest of the Amber Army.

As of now (Thursday morning) we have just 160 tickets left of our allocation of 21,300 so we're set to sell out what we've been allowed, unsurprisingly. The merchandise has been selling, the tickets have arrived, we've got our own (very, very tacky!) song released, which was created rather quickly by some fans and some of the players, and can be found here - http://www.cambridgefansunited.org/downloads/the-amber-army-anthem.mp3

We're in a bit of a battle with Wembley at the moment, as originally they allowed us to give the players our traditional welcome by throwing lots of ripped up yellow pages in the air, but once they found out we were going to have about 2 tons of the stuff, they changed their mind, so we're all going in the ground with handfuls of yellow pages stuffed down our pants :p They've also been tossers about not letting us put our flags up on the upper tier, but we'll sneak them in somehow.

If you fancy getting in the zone a bit, on my page on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/profile_favorites?user=egrfgd) I've got a lot of video highlights, mostly from games this year but some older ones as well. This includes proper highlights from our FA Cup run where we nearly won at Wolves, and there's also a few videos of the fans.

I'll leave you with a video from the trailer for our end of season DVD, which again, if interested, can be pre-ordered from here if you wish, it'll be well worth it ----> http://www.helpcfu.co.uk/product.cfm?p=24

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAE1zWhVZpY[/youtube]

EDIT: Well something had to go wrong this week, we've just organised a friendly away at P*terborough on the 16th July, and I'm on bloody holiday! We wait 7 years to play them and the day we do, I'm not here! Anyone got any tips on getting out of a holiday without your friends hating you?
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Thu May 15, 2008 11:04:23 am

Nice ones...

I gather the Posh must be one of your traditional rivals?
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Thu May 15, 2008 11:10:07 am

Yup, Peterborough are the biggest rivals by far, but like I said, it's been 7 years since we played them, in the 14 years I've been supporting the club, I've only managed to see us play at Pish once. The year they got relegated into League Two, we got relegated out of it. Likewise, if we get promoted back into League Two, they've just been promoted, so we'll miss them again.

Histon are in our league, and is a small village in Cambridge, they've risen up dramatically in the last 10 years, but they're more a nuisance than a rival really, not enough history. Before our election to the league in 1970, we had a rivalry with Cambridge City as we were in the same league for many a year, but we're quite friendly with each other now.

When we were good, we had rivalries with the likes of Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham, then we started having things with teams like Colchester, Northampton, Luton, and now we've moved on to worrying about Histon, Stevenage and Rushden! But since our league days, it's been Peterborough.
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby danimal » Sat May 17, 2008 10:14:41 pm

good luck on sunday

if anyone gets setanta sports, the game is on at 11:00am

i know what i will be doing in the morning :beer:
danimal
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Sun May 18, 2008 12:04:45 am

I'll be watching!
ericgi
ECS Founder