Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Cambridge United FC

Talk about the Rest of the World's football clubs and tifo here.

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:37:28 pm

Probably, but I don't mind if they start swinging from trees eating banana's, as long as it's going to help, we're going to need all 3 of them come opening day at the rate we're going.

At least they're doing something worthwhile, most of our lot are probably on the booze right now.
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:15:48 pm

We've sacked our manager.

Supposedly for taking a bung from the transfer of Rob Wolleaston to Rushden a few weeks ago, all will be confirmed tomorrow but it seems to be that.

Not only do we have no manager, no new signings (this will probably see our last few good players leave too), off field unrest, we could well be hit with a 15 point penalty now too because of this.

I'm absolutely fuming.
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby tallguy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:05:41 pm

yikes! from top of the world to the dung heap. this sucks donkey balls! no, wait, this sucks timbers balls!
tallguy
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SuperBayern » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:55:44 pm

Tom_CUFC wrote:We've sacked our manager.

Supposedly for taking a bung from the transfer of Rob Wolleaston to Rushden a few weeks ago, all will be confirmed tomorrow but it seems to be that.

Not only do we have no manager, no new signings (this will probably see our last few good players leave too), off field unrest, we could well be hit with a 15 point penalty now too because of this.

I'm absolutely fuming.

Sorry to hear about this Tom. Hopefully things will get sorted out fast.
SuperBayern
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby ericgi » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:51:51 pm

Damn... who's running the ship over there... or should I say, not running the ship.

15 pt penalty plus a weaker squad = difficulty avoiding the drop.
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:32:45 am

The guy who was running the ship bailed out in January, went to Rushden, and gave Quinn the money to get Wolleaston!

This morning we've claimed to have parted company by mutual consent, which will probably keep the truth from public eyes and could well mean we avoid the points penalty, hopefully.

We're being linked with Ebbsfleet manager and assistant Liam Daish and Alan Kimble, who have done a great job there and played for us in our glory days when we nearly reached the Premier League. Expected to be appointed later in the week. You never know with our club though.
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby YukataNinja » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:11:56 pm

Adrian Hanauer on his trip to see the U's semifinal game.

Hanauer wrote:I may be biased, but I believe the energy level of the fans at these level playoff games is every bit as highly-charged as those Champions League games. These smaller clubs have their rabid fans, and we had 1,400 traveling from Cambridge to Burton. In fact, they made more noise than the 4,500 home fans.

I love the atmosphere of these games, when you have 6,000-7,000 fans packing a stadium. Our supporters were singing the whole match and really gave our guys a lift late. That?s probably why we were able to score twice in the final 12 minutes to earn the tie?a great result going back for the return leg at Cambridge.

Some mad props there! Hopefully this will lead to more support from the FO for Sounders FC games.

Linked here
YukataNinja
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:48:59 am

Cheers for that, wasn't even aware he was over here for the semi finals.

Nice to see director's not doing things the luxury way either :D

Edit: Just made our first signing at last! Signed Semi-final first leg hero Lee McEvilly on a free transfer.
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Lamil » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:09:40 pm

I don't think Liam would leave Ebbsfleet since the budget there has been bumped up to over 10000 a week and he has alot of freedom but i have been wrong before. Sorry Tom thats really shitty news about whats going on with Cambridge.
Lamil
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:03:48 am

I think the only doubt about it is where he's living. He's currently living on the south coast near Portsmouth, so he'd have to move quite a way, not to mention how expensive it is living in Cambridge. If that wasn't an issue, to be honest I think he'd pick us over Ebbsfleet every time.

Besides, if you had the opportunity to manage a club you spent many years with, where you could run it freely without the risk of worrying what 30,000 people are going to vote on next, I think you would.

It seems to be a straight 1 from 2 now, with either Daish or a manager from a team in the league below. We're also in talks about signing Courtney Pitt again just after we released him. Happy days.
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:05:39 am

Bringing colour to the Abbey Stadium next season begins...

http://www.cambridge-united.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10423~1332368,00.html

Looks fantastic, and I've already got plenty of ideas for flags on the go, for much cheaper than I thought, really looking forward to it, atmosphere should be great next season.

On the manager front, we got down to a shortlist of 4 and it's totally uninspiring. The favourite is Southport manager Gary Brabin (1 league below us) with Paul Carden coming back as player/assistant. Brabin has only had 7 games managerial experience!

The other prime candidate is ex-Tottenham defender Justin Edinburgh, whose management record is absolutely abysmal. Not looking promising.
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby screamer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:16:00 pm

Some good pics of supporters helping paint. The NRE makeover looks great! It's things like this that make me wonder why someone would ignore their local club to follow one of the big plastic turds.
screamer
Past ECS Member

Location: Poverty Bay Latitude: 47.34972 Longitude: -122.33472

Unread postby tallguy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:43:49 pm

looks absolutely fantastic! i hope your next season is an awesome experience! LET'S GO UUUUUUUUUUU'S!!!
tallguy
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:51:36 pm

Great work :roger:

Was kind of half expecting the A-Team to have been there too :lol:
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:46:51 am

Gary Brabin appointed manager, Paul Carden comes back as player/assistant, even though he signed for Wrexham a few weeks ago :D

http://www.cambridge-united.premiumtv.c ... 24,00.html

Best of a bad bunch really, Daish was never on the list because we couldn't afford the compensation, and everyone else was awful. Not utterly convinced, but we'll see.

He'll scare everybody else that's for sure! (Check out his Wikipedia profile, seriously...)
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

PreviousNext

Return to 'Round the World