Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Cambridge United FC

Talk about the Rest of the World's football clubs and tifo here.

Unread postby BVB09Germany » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:28:01 am

That is great work. You painted right to my heart, black and yellow. :)

Although they are completely different clubs, I normally root for clubs that are also black and yellow outside of Germany!
BVB09Germany
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:48:42 pm

http://www.cambridge-united.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10423~1336424,00.html

Our biggest asset Michael Morrison has gone to Leicester City for an "undisclosed fee" again.

Disappointing to see him go after all the other players we've lost, but no surprise, he's been turning down moves to league clubs for the past couple of years, and it's probably worked out for him because this is the best offer he's had yet (he had trials at Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton and Watford as well). Another successful product from our youth system to go on to bigger things, and he's more than capable of getting to the Premier League.

The 2 most concerning things are yet another fee we can't be told about, which probably means that yet again we didn't get nearly enough for the fee upfront, or they didn't secure a very good sell-on clause, if one at all, as well as another player off the squad list with nobody being brought in. We must sign somebody this week.
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:27:48 pm

Quick update before I head off for a week.

Manager is impressing, no-one else has left, rumours about our keeping leaving have disappeared, and we've made some very promising signings, as well as re-signing Courtney Pitt :D

We kick off our pre-season on Saturday away to Kings Lynn, before later hosting Everton and West Ham. Luckily for me, the game away to Peterborough got cancelled due to crap ticket sales, happy days. Our season starts on the 9th August away to Northwich Victoria, and our only game on Setanta during August is at home to Kettering on Monday 25th August, 4.15 UK time.

As for our "kind of ultra" group that I mentioned at one point, we're making really, really good progress. We've got people who are willing to fund, we're going to be setting up a membership scheme, and we've got plenty of flags/other ideas on the go. Our opening game at Northwich is great because they do f*ck all security wise, and the terrace is massive. We're going to make a 30ft banner with some sort of encouragement message on it, we've got a couple of amber and black striped one pole flags bought, currently in the post, plenty of draped flags *breathe*, some rolls of tape to throw to be ordered when I get back, and some two poles, the first of which I've just finished. Enjoy my first ever effort at making my own flag :)

Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:17:30 pm

That's a start! Keep up the good work...

King's Lynn... fuck I saw them on telly a year or two ago in the FA Cup. Their ground couldn't have held more than 2000 ppl if that!
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby Ultra666 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:26:13 pm

Right on Tom, great work!

Thanks for the update as well.
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:30:07 pm

It is, not bad considering all the effort so far has been put in by two 18 year old students with no money at all. We've got to be careful not to overspend right now still, the club haven't replied to me yet on a couple of things so we're not exactly sure what we'll be allowed into the ground.

Kings Lynn are easily one of the biggest sides outside our league, they just got promoted to one league below us, and have been averaging about 2,400 for the last few years....in the 7th tier of English football! That's more than most teams in our league. There are far, far worse grounds than their's, trust me, it's disturbing some of the crap we have/had to play at.
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:45:04 pm

I know... but it was pretty interesting seeing a telecast from their ground, with the rows of houses right behind one of the goals... think they ran out of balls at one point since all of the match balls had been literally kicked out of the stadium!
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:09:13 pm

Ha, we have the problem too, behind one of the stands is a river, and a field full of cow shit, and behind the new stand at the end is a load of vegetable plots, although since we rebuilt it I don't think we've destroyed quite so much of the environment that way!

Sad thing is, that's pretty much what's leaving English football. Grounds like ours, and Kings Lynn, and those like Brentford and Aldershot in the league are a dying breed of classic football grounds, whereas teams are going for the cheap, bland options in the middle of nowhere, which are being replicated across the country.

Plenty of these going around, you go for the bowl - http://cufc4ever.fotopic.net/p47275973.html , or the box - http://cufc4ever.fotopic.net/p48229007.html

Now of course, I'd much rather stand on a terrace every week than be in a seated stand, but if grounds are going to be all seater, then why can't they be adventurous? On another forum I post on (a football grounds one, surprisingly enough) it's been pretty much determined that these bland grounds cost far more than more unique new grounds. Why teams can't go for some of the designs like you have in the US I don't know, you have some fantastic stadia, and they're all so different.

Sadly for us, we'll be heading into a box/bowl at some point in the next 10 years, we have no choice, we can't afford ?200,000 a year rent for our ground, and the board keep proclaiming there's no room to expand where we are now (BOLLOCKS).

Just another step towards the death of football in England.

[/rant]

:) :offtopic:
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:37:23 pm

wow that is expensive rent :shock:
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby Lamil » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:09:56 pm

Nice work sounds like your trying to build up the smart way! Thats crappy about your guys grounds sounds way more intimate.
Lamil
Past ECS Member

Unread postby YukataNinja » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:27:59 pm

I think America went through a bland stadium period in the 60s-80s. Many big ugly bowls that have now been replaced.
YukataNinja
Past ECS Member

Unread postby tallguy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:42:40 pm

very true, ninja. funny that now those few bowls that are left are considered "classics."
tallguy
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:10:10 pm

(My holiday was a disaster, but at least I get to see the Sounders game Friday now before setting off for our game with Everton about 4 hours later :D)

I was trying to keep these "updates" on a sort of monthly basis, but big big news for us tonight, regarding a player who isn't with us anymore.

2004 we sold Dave Kitson to Reading for a crap fee, but with a 20% sell on clause. He's now tonight been sold to Stoke for ?5million. ?1million is absolutely huge for us, that's 5 years rent! If this doesn't make us competitive in this league I don't know what will.

Kerrrrrching.

Lost 3-2 to Kings Lynn Saturday (the guy who got second half man of the match I used to play with, scary) and drew 1-1 with Cambridge City on Tuesday night. 2 more games scheduled on Setanta for those who are interested, on top of home vs Kettering, Mon 25 Aug 4.15GMT, we now have away vs Oxford, Tue 23 Sep 7.45GMT, and away vs Forest Green Rovers, Thu 16 Oct 7.45GMT (scum, that's a bloody awkward place to get to).
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:20:23 pm

wow, a million quid should come in quite handy right about now. Any word on if any of that will be used to buy a player or two or is it just going toward debt and operating costs for the year?
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby Tom_CUFC » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:25:37 pm

Bit of both I'd guess. I'm sure the board said last season that we had 3 years rent covered. For transfers/wages, there's only so much you can spend at our level really anyway so I shouldn't think that massive amounts will go towards that in all honesty, plenty of teams have shown you can spend big and fail very, very quickly, and teams have spent absolutely nothing and pissed all over this league. Hopefully it'll let us bring in a couple of really good free agents in in the next few weeks though. I suspect we'll probably hold back some for a couple of years rent, and then a similar amount for operating costs.

If the rent thing is correct, I'd rather we just stuck it in the bank and got some interest on it!
Tom_CUFC
Past ECS Member

PreviousNext

Return to 'Round the World