Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Tampere United

Talk about the Rest of the World's football clubs and tifo here.

Unread postby delmundo » Mon Aug 8, 2011 6:48:18 pm

How do you get back into the Competitive Pyramid? Curious as to how a club gets into the chance for promotion.
delmundo
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby finnfan » Tue Aug 9, 2011 6:54:25 am

delmundo wrote:How do you get back into the Competitive Pyramid? Curious as to how a club gets into the chance for promotion.

You basically just sign up for it. Even in a small country like Finland there are a few hundred teams in the lowest level of the pyramid. For example, in the Tampere District of the Finnish FA, there are currently 4 subdivisions of 9 teams each in the lowest level of the pyramid. In the Uusimaa District there are 7 subdivisions of 10 teams each. Helsinki District has 3 subdivisions of 14 teams each. And so on. Each year they take the teams that sign up and form subdivisions according to what makes most sense.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby finnfan » Tue Aug 9, 2011 1:10:27 pm

Tuesday August 9: VHS vs. TamU-K 1:3.

A game that we should have won handily based on the quality of the two teams, but was much tighter than necessary. We got the insurance goal for 3-1 only when there were two to three minutes remaining. It was a brilliant free kick from about 35-40 yards out on the right hand side of the pitch. A perfect run to the far post made the headed goal look easy.

The story of the game was simple: TamU kept on putting the pressure and won most one on one situations and practically all of the second balls that came out of the VHS defence. However, VHS looked dangerous on the counter, and besides the 1-1 goal had a few other great chances. That said, TamU should have at least doubled its goal tally from the chances they had.

Pictures may follow. There was some pyro in goal celebrations.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby finnfan » Tue Aug 9, 2011 1:27:59 pm

The top of the table looks like this. Two first teams go into the playoffs against the top two teams in the other division.

Code: Select all
Team                    Pld   W   T   L   Pts
FC Valencia               7   6   0   1   18     
FC Tampereen Star Team    7   5   1   1   16
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TamU-K                    8   5   0   3   15 
Strap-on United           6   4   1   1   13 
FC Paiste                 6   3   1   2   10
KJK                       5   3   1   1   10
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Tue Aug 9, 2011 1:36:54 pm

Strap-On United is an excellent name.
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby miniburnsie » Tue Aug 9, 2011 8:58:51 pm

How many games are left in your season?
miniburnsie
Past ECS Member

Unread postby finnfan » Tue Aug 9, 2011 9:03:34 pm

Only two for us, 10 game total. Need to win them both, and even then we may very well not mkae the top two. I heard that FC Valencia won today too, so they are out of reach. Many of the games in hand in that table have actually been played, but for some reason the results have not appeared on the online results service yet.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby 12thPlayer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:09:48 am

Wow, i read the whole storry, and its amazing, and i just found out when i was in my trip to norway in Trondheim in 2007 i saw a team from finalnd playing against Rosenborg in the champions league 3rd round, and im preety sure it was your team.
is that right or it was an other team from Finalnd?
12thPlayer
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby finnfan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:14:18 am

Yes, it was my team. Had we won that tie, things would be totally different for sure, but of course we blew that at the home leg already. Reaching the groups stage in Champions League would have brought a few million euros to the team in UEFA prize money alone. That is huge considering that the club's budget was about one million euros.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby 12thPlayer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:26:30 am

finnfan wrote:Yes, it was my team. Had we won that tie, things would be totally different for sure, but of course we blew that at the home leg already. Reaching the groups stage in Champions League would have brought a few million euros to the team in UEFA prize money alone. That is huge considering that the club's budget was about one million euros.

Your team was one of the biggest in Finland wasnt it? how come there werent sponsers who brought money?
or its because soccer aint so popular in Finalnd?
12thPlayer
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby finnfan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:57:17 am

You guessed it: football is not that popular here. The average attendance in the league has been under 3000 for as long as I can remember, and no team gets even to a 5000 average. The average player salary is just over 20,000 euros, and budgets range between just under million euros to just over two million euros.

Tampere United was one of the biggest clubs. We were Finnish champions three times in the 2000s and played in European competitions every year in 2002-2008.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby 12thPlayer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:13:28 am

Thats Sad. things like that happen world-wide but usually soccer is the most popular sport so they got fans to take control of their team, and huge sponsers who find these things great way to make money, even in israel, small teams who were huge in the past opened supporter teams in the 7th league and has huge budgets thanks to realy big sopnsers.

Anywyaz, right now you already entered the 7nth league? where do u wanna get with the new team? do u even got a chance to get to the top finish soccer in the future?
12thPlayer
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby finnfan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:27:15 am

We play summer schedule here (like MLS), so our season starts in April. There are some recent developments that might lead in to starting higher than the 7th level (I will post about that in more detail when I have time), but if all else fails, we will start in the 7th level next spring. (This season there are 234 teams on that level, so you cannot really call it the 7th league.) See here for a Wikipedia article on where we'd be playing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kutonen
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby 12thPlayer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:37:17 am

finnfan wrote:We play summer schedule here (like MLS), so our season starts in April. There are some recent developments that might lead in to starting higher than the 7th level (I will post about that in more detail when I have time), but if all else fails, we will start in the 7th level next spring. (This season there are 234 teams on that level, so you cannot really call it the 7th league.) See here for a Wikipedia article on where we'd be playing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kutonen

Yeah i know when your league starts :D , i know alot about the scandinavian soccer , actually, more about Norway, Sweeden and Denemark, but its allways good to know about another scandinavian country.
Hope my questions dont bother you, but how many fans in total support that team?
12thPlayer
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby finnfan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:42:56 am

Currently in the recreational league? We have had about 20-30 supporters at each game, maybe 50 different people have showed up. Many people cannot attend all games since they are always on weekdays, sometimes as early as 5 pm. Especially those living in other cities (like Helsinki) have missed a lot of games. We hang the group banner between two trees and we stand right on the endline. All games have been played at a dirt field in a suburb with no facilities for spectators whatsoever.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

PreviousNext

Return to 'Round the World