Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

The official Super Sydney thread

Talk about the Rest of the World's football clubs and tifo here.

Unread postby SydneyFC_Wanderer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:37:33 pm

So we are 6 days out from the start of the Australian Hyundai A-League pre-season, with the season proper starting on Friday 15th August.

I thought I would start a thread to keep you abreast of whats going on with the sky blues in Sydney, whether anyone is interested or not is inconsequential :lol: :twisted: 8-)

Sydney has recruited fairly well in the offseason, with the exception of a blinding deficiency at LB (hopefully to be addressed very soon), a combination of our own unwanted players coming off contract and unrest at other clubs has meant that Sydney have assembled a very formidable squad.

Before the regular season starts there is a brief preseason cup, this runs for 4 weeks and is divided into two groups of 4 teams, the leader of each group play off in the fourth week to see who takes the cup. The preseason cup usually gives clubs a chance to finalise any player trials and signings and also gives coaches a chance to fiddle with formations and tactics, so it can lead to some very entertaining football.

The Regular season starts on Friday night August 15th, with Sydneys first game the flagship match of the league on Saturday 16th, the always bitter and tense rivalry between SydneyFC and Melbourne Victory will be on display on and off the pitch, there is certainly no love lost between these two sides, a crowd in excess of 30'000 is expected to attend and police and security will be on full alert to keep the proceedings at an acceptable level.

betting:
Championship 2008/09 - WINNER
SYDNEY FC 3.15
QUEENSLAND ROAR 5.00
MELBOURNE VICTORY 6.50
CENTRAL COAST MARINERS 7.00
ADELAIDE UNITED 8.00
NEWCASTLE UNITED JETS 9.00
PERTH GLORY 17.00
WELLINGTON PHOENIX 17.00

The first game in the Preseason Cup for us is against the Qld Roar (pussies) out on the outskirts of Sydney (most clubs play their preseason games at regional grounds rather than their regular home ground) I'm looking forward to a few lagers and a sing song.

links:
official A-League: http://www.a-league.com.au/
official Sydney FC: http://www.sydneyfc.com/default.aspx?s=sydfc_home
Sydney FC Unofficial (our version of weareecs) http://sfcu.com.au/
Our regular season home ground: http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=9

Last edited by SydneyFC_Wanderer on Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
SydneyFC_Wanderer
Past ECS Member

Unread postby YukataNinja » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:21:35 pm

Good news on the off season. That preseason sounds actually somewhat interesting. Bummer that your stadium has your goal lines so far from the seats. At Qwest we will almost be on top of the goal.
YukataNinja
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SydneyFC_Wanderer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:45:16 pm

yep, tis a bummer, the cove is the place to be (behind the northern goal) but for watching the game they are the worst seat in the house.

I'm all for steaply terraced sides and ends on stadiums, at our home ground the view is fairly poor, Queensland Roar play at a place called Suncorp stadium which IMO is the best football stadium in Australia:

another nice aussie stadium will be added to the A-League next year when the Gold Coast team joins the comp (along with another team),
skilled park:

ps qwest looks the shiz! cant wait to be there! :beer:
SydneyFC_Wanderer
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:55:49 am

Is there another level below the A-League or are you lot similar to MLS where there's no promotion/relegation in the cards for a while?

Looks like quite a few of the grounds are shared with rugby and/or Aussie Rules footy?
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby tallguy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:57:59 am

i've heard that they were talking about adding a B-League for the purpose of promotion/relegation, but nothing has come to fruition yet.
tallguy
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SydneyFC_Wanderer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:02:45 pm

tallguy wrote:i've heard that they were talking about adding a B-League for the purpose of promotion/relegation, but nothing has come to fruition yet.

ericgi wrote: Is there another level below the A-League or are you lot similar to MLS where there's no promotion/relegation in the cards for a while?

No Promotion/relegation or second division yet, it has been suggested, the AFC won't let us get extra spots in the Asian Champions League until we have a second division, however, I cant see it happening in the near future, at the moment there's only 8 teams in the League (with two most likely to be added next season and probably two more the year after that) We do have other Leagues that are state based, basicly all states have their own premier leagues, but only QLD, NSW and Victoria are at a level any where near comparabale to A-league, the problem with incorporating these teams into a second division is that a lot of them had been part of the now defunct NSL (the national competition before the A-league was created) and the whole idea of the A-League was to move away from anything NSL as it was a real stinker ie corruption, insolvent teams, ethnic tension etc etc. As much as I'd like to have a 2nd division, its not a high priority.

ericgi wrote:Looks like quite a few of the grounds are shared with rugby and/or Aussie Rules footy?

Only Adelaide United and Perth Glory have have exclusive fields, otherwise everyone else needs to share with at least one other sport, sometimes two. At Sydney Football Stadium we share with both Rugby League and Rugby Union.
SydneyFC_Wanderer
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SydneyFC_Wanderer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:50:45 am

2-1 win for Sydney, a pretty scrappy first half, Sydneys keeper doing the hard yards to keep it clean till after half time, much better performance in the second half but still a long way to go before I have confidence in the teams ability to finish top of the heap. Sydney second goal comes from a penalty just outside the box which resulted in a straight red for the QLD defender and a pretty tidy goal for the sydney. 4222 people attended the preseason match at Campbelltown which is Sydney far south wester outskirts.

Overall we were outplayed by a team thats had a much better build up to this point, probably should of lost, but at the end of the day the only ones that matter are the ones that find the back of the net.

video highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZhPQfn2 ... hp?t=14063
SydneyFC_Wanderer
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:42:34 am

nicely taken free kick that was.

Not to worry, things should improve as you go!
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby SydneyFC_Wanderer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:31:16 pm

got some excellent news around the place today, seems that after we requested some funding from the club for a massive parachute banner (3 bays wide) to display on the first home game of the season, the word trickled down to the players and coaching staff who emptied their own pockets of a hefty amount of cash :shock: :D :D

So happy, its almost enough to make a grown man cry. I'll keep you posted on the progress of the parachute banner as I think its a style and idea that can be appropriated for use by you guys in Seattle.

Its all a bit secretive at the moment, but I will reveal all over the next few weeks, unfortunately I cant rule out some tard** getting on here and stumbling onto our plans.

(** tard noun |'tard| [offensive]. Inhabitant of Tardistan, a large flat, grey, dreary slum in Southern Australia. Thought to be a sub-species of Homo Neanderthalensis. Characterised by pale, pasty skin, the absence of a sense of humour, a chip on both shoulders, insular introspection, a severe inferiority complex and the expression of such phrases as "sporting capital of Australia", "the weather's not THAT bad here" and "beaches are crap anyway". DERIVATIVES: retardation noun retarder noun retardment noun (rare). ORIGIN late 15th cent.: from French retarder, from Latin retardare, from re- "back" + tardus "slow.")
SydneyFC_Wanderer
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:10:26 pm

Good on the club for helping you out... and yeah gotta keep tifo off the public areas 'til it's displayed at a match. Should be good though!
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby Ultra666 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:28:14 am

That is great news.
It's good to see the players and coaches appreciate what the supporters bring on match day so much so that they are willing to help fund it.
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby SydneyFC_Wanderer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:46:55 pm

I was going through some old fotos to put up on my facebook page last night, when I found this one that the missus must have taken, I'd never seen it, it captures a moment nicely.

SydneyFC_Wanderer
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SydneyFC_Wanderer » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:14:30 pm

Well, last weekend we saw Kossie (John Kosmina - coach) trialing a back three to see how it'd work with our cattle, hopefully that will be the last we see of a back three as well, we got beaten 3 nil, although that was fairly generous for them. We played against the Central Coast Mariners who are from about 100km up the freeway at a hole called Gosford, ever since we beat the mariners 1-0 in the inaugural A-League grand final we have had some excellent derbies full of spite, add to this a number of defecting players and grabs at coaching staff just for some extra spice.

Other than this the match was of note also because it was the first game of professional football Mark Bosnich has played since he was dumped by Chelsea after being busted for cocaine use accompanied with well publicised sex romps involving some slags and Dwight Yorke. I gotta say every one, even the Sydney fans were happy to see him back, he still seems to have some magic between the posts, keeping a clean sheet and making some brilliant saves in the process.

The Cove lads weren't going to let Bozza have a cruisey ride however, enroute to the match we bought a box of press-seal bags and filled each one with some flour, these formed the "welcome back bozza - I'll have one, you have two" cocaine tifo. Kudos to the stadium security guard who thought he'd made a drug bust by pulling up a guy in the stands with a bag full of white powder, the look on his face when the rest of the cove gents held up their bags of 'charlie' was priceless LOL.

Anyhow, we've got The only New Zealand team this weekend, hopefully we can do better, although the Wellington Phoenix have seemd to have recruited fairly well.

here's some vids:

Vids from the match @ Blue Tongue stadium - 27 July 2008:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brad Porter's goal ==>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUsWtDokRdI
Nik Mrdja's penalty ==>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rUjZWNEZx8

Bozza's saves against:
-----------------------------
Terry McFlynn ==>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNm_8NHsa-0
Mitchell Prentice ==>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HGF88Njk2M
Alex Brosque ==>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o0umQIy7U4
Steve Corica (pen) ==>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oDOz-_YgLE

Cove chant # 1 (You're not going to Beijing) ==>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmLuTrmeVGk
Cove chant # 2 (You are a bogan) ==>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJql9pbveMw

Bozza acknowledges the SFC fans # 1 ==>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB4BBXh27uo
Bozza acknowledges the SFC fans # 2 ==>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG-pYH9NKDo
SydneyFC_Wanderer
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:59:28 pm

Bosnich's return made the telly over here (GolTV, one of the all football channels over here on the satellite) tonight...

cheeky with the faux cocaine, nice one :lol:
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby SydneyFC_Wanderer » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:38:50 pm

Well, here we are less than a week from our first outing, things look dire for us, this is a game we'd dearly like to win but the odds are stacked against us with players at the olympics, injuries and other players not being released from current clubs.
Melbourne is to Sydney what portscum seems to have been to sounders, this is the only game we play them at home this season, at this stage I would take a draw, I'm not at all hopeful going into this game, dreading it really, compounded by the fact that the melbournians will travel in numbers and rub it in our faces if they get a result.

#2) Iain Fyfe - okay
#3) Nikolas Tsattalios - okay, but is a squadie at best
#6) Tony Popovic - hamstring
#7) Robbie Middleby - okay
#10) Steve Corica - okay (thank christ, a bright light in a sea of darkness)
#11) Brendon Santalab - injured
#14) Alex Brosque - Suspended
#17) Jacob Timpano - injured, annoying as he pretty much spent the last two seasons injured, played all the preseason and was very good, looked as if he could be back to his best as we saw in 05/06 but alas he's injured again.
#18) Adam Casey - okay, but still not tested or proven in the team, this is his opportunity to sink or swim.
#??) Michael Enfield - injured.
#20) Ivan Necevski - no2 keeper
#21) Adam Biddle - okay but usually a squadie at best
#1) Clint Bolton - okay no1 keeper
#4) Simon Colosimo - okay, but unfortunately will probably moved to a defensive role due to abscentees, pity as his distribution and passing could be valuable in midfield
#5) Mitchell Prentice - suspended
#8) Stuart Musialik - Olympics
#15) Terry McFlynn - okay, will be handy at DM as we will most likely play to minimize damage instead of win :sad:
#16) Christopher Payne - 17 year old striker, okay but may well be out of his depth playing in a big game straight up, oh and he's currently doing his end of school trial exams as well just to add to the pressure
#23) John Aloisi (marquee) - injured - $1.4 million dollar striker with a bung knee
#19) Mark Bridge - Olympics

So out of 17 players in our actual squad, we only have 11 available! LOL and two of them are keepers... :sad: :cry:

So we add in:
Shannon Cole: still not released from his State League club, will make a big difference if he can be available, has looked very good for his current side.
Dez Giraldi: Signed as injury cover, will most likely play up front somewhere, whether thats starting or off the bench remains to be seen.
Adam Hett: youth league player, signed after winning a reality TV show, actually looks pretty comfortable and has been training with the team for weeks, still too green for my liking but with options so slim he will possibly make the bench, does give us the opportunity to move colosimo to defence and have Adam as a holding mid.
Brendan Gan: Another youth league player, publicly states he only took a youth league contract to force his way onto the first team (players actually get paid less for a youth league spot than they would at a State Premier League club), he may get a chance too.

Thats 15 and well and truly scraping the bottom of the barrell!

Heres the hard part to say - I hope Australia fail at the olympics, that way we get two very important players back, add in the players coming back from suspension and round two looks a damn sight better.

Batten down the 'atches!!
SydneyFC_Wanderer
Past ECS Member

Next

Return to 'Round the World