Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

The official Super Sydney thread

Talk about the Rest of the World's football clubs and tifo here.

Unread postby AndyinBrisbane » Mon Mar 8, 2010 2:50:38 am

THATS WHY WE'RE CHAMPIONS!!! THATS WHY WE'RE CHAMPIONS!!!

I've just arrived home after driving the 1900km (1180mi) round trip! Will post a full trip report and pics tomorrow after I get some much needed rest.

delmundo wrote:Still can't figure it out. How come Wellington didn't go to the Final after winning the Semi but Melbourne did?

Bit hard to explain, but the chart on Wikipedia might help...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-League_2009-10#Finals_series

Sydney and Melbourne play a two-leg Major Semi Final series. The winner on aggregate, Melbourne, progress to a home Grand Final and a weekend off.

Wellington and Perth, then Gold coast and Newcastle play knockout matches on week one. The winners, Wellington and Newcastle, then play a knockout match in week 2.

The loser on aggregate of the Major Semi Final, Sydney, host the winner of the week 2 knockout match, Wellington in the Preliminary Final.

The winner of the Preliminary final then head to Melbourne on the 20th.
AndyinBrisbane
Past ECS Member

Unread postby FuzzyForeigner » Mon Mar 8, 2010 10:41:02 am

damn.

I want to go down under. never been.

scuba the reef and catch a footy match.
FuzzyForeigner
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby YukataNinja » Mon Mar 8, 2010 10:57:27 am

You Aussies make the Mexican playoff/champion system look simplistic.
YukataNinja
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SydneyFC_Wanderer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:57:04 pm

YukataNinja wrote:You Aussies make the Mexican playoff/champion system look simplistic.

in the most simplest of terms; the teams that finish in first or second position in the regular season are rewarded by being given the greatest chance of attending the grand final, this entails a 2 leg home and away playoff, while this is being played, the teams that finish third through sixth only have single sudden death elimination finals where the higher seeded teams host each game. At this point in time we have remaining the teams that finished 1st and second in regular season (Sydney and Melbourne respectively) and the winner of the elimations finals between teams that finished 3rd to 6th (Wellington). Melbourne has beaten Sydney over the 2 home and away legs so far and hence have earned the right to host the Grand Final match in Melbourne, but for Sydney the ride is not over yet, having been one of the top 2 teams they get a final chance to make the grand final match by playing off against Wellington this Saturday, the winner of this match will play in the Grand Final against Melbourne.

So it's all geared towards rewarding the top two finishing teams by giving them the greatest chance of winning the grand final champions trophy, whilst at the same time it preserves a competitive spirit in regular season for lower finishing teams. We all know that 'first past the post' is the greatest prize in football, but for marketability the "grand final" means that teams that finish as low as sixth out of the 10 teams in regular season still have a shot at winning some silverware therefore when the regular season starts to near an end there is still more to play for than just the premiership, that being firstly 1) a place in the finals series, 2) home ground advantage in the finals series and 3) a chance at winning the Grand final championship.
clear as mud??
SydneyFC_Wanderer
Past ECS Member

Unread postby delmundo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:40:37 pm

Sydney, you lost me when you used the word "whilst."

Just kidding, it makes sense now. Well, I mean I understand it now. :mrgreen:

Get through to the final. I want to watch another one of those matches.
delmundo
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby SydneyFC_Wanderer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:10:57 pm

No worries! :D

Game Live on Friday night / Saturday morning 1am in the Pacific North West, so if you are up or out partying stick it on Fox Soccer Channel at 1am pacific time to see the Preliminary Final, Sydney FC (H) vs Wellington Phoenix (A) the winner of which will play off next weekend against Melbourne.

If ya don't have FSC you should be able to get a live feed at Iraqgoals: http://www.iraqgoals.net/
SydneyFC_Wanderer
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SydneyFC_Wanderer » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:54:38 pm

It's on!!

Melbourne vs Sydney, this Saturday 7.00p AEDST, midnight Friday in the Pacific North West.

All the pressure is on Melbourne, wouldnae wanna lose the grand final at home would you? :twisted: :twisted:
SydneyFC_Wanderer
Past ECS Member

Unread postby foobar » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:51:09 pm

Watched the Wellington v Sydney match after the parade yesterday. Sydney looked sharp. Glad they won by more than 1 as the second of Payne's goals was controversial to put it nicely.

Looking forward to seeing Melbourne v Sydney once more. Should be epic.

-foo
foobar
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SydneyFC_Wanderer » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:10:09 pm

definitely controversial, but even the kiwis are going a bit far IMO, a pretty one sided game really.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26844360-5000940,00.html
SydneyFC_Wanderer
Past ECS Member

Unread postby foobar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:05:46 pm

During an extended conference call for work I came across this "pick of the week" ... and had to share.

I will just apologize now... sorry.
foobar
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SydneyFC_Wanderer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:36:44 am

LoL That's Stefan Keller, there's a reason no-one has ever seen Chuck Norris and Stefan in the same room... we call him "eyebrows of mass-destruction" and he's one of the very best central defenders playing football in Australia.

Also LoL at eggchasers being disgusted at something so trivial and yet always tending to get protective about there drug abusing, alcoholic, gang raping, brain-cell sharing mates when they repetitively exhibit a complete lack of any real moral fibre.
SydneyFC_Wanderer
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SydneyFC_Wanderer » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:46:38 am

AndyinBrisbane wrote:THATS WHY WE'RE CHAMPIONS!!! THATS WHY WE'RE CHAMPIONS!!!

say what??

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26877051-5000940,00.html
SydneyFC_Wanderer
Past ECS Member

Unread postby gbherron » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:15:39 am

wow. The only highlights I've seen we're two regular time goals. Sydney's was absolute mayhem leading up to it. Can't wait to see the shoot out highlights...
gbherron
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Nasty » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:25:22 pm

I'm so pissed I forgot to set the DVR, dammit!!!

Congrats Sydney FC!!!

I wish Corica could have played but at least he gets to retire a champion.
Nasty
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SydneyFC_Wanderer » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:14:45 pm

video including some of the pens, when I find a video of the whole lot I will post it:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/video/0,,A-League_28731,00.html

SydneyFC_Wanderer
Past ECS Member

PreviousNext

Return to 'Round the World