Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Celtic - Green Brigade

Talk about the Rest of the World's football clubs and tifo here.

Unread postby AntifaCeltic » Sat May 1, 2010 1:04:48 pm

There's no real answer for it, money's obviously a huge thing though. By qualifying for the Champions League (which both teams usually do) you recieve £10 million, so it sets you up nicely - other teams don't get this. Also, every away match we and scotland's shame play is on television, other teams will really only be on TV when they play one of the Glasgow teams.

The fanbase of us and "them" is also considerabely larger than the other teams in the league, most weeks we'll get 55 000, r*ng*rs will get about 50 000, most other teams get between 10-15 000.
AntifaCeltic
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby Bathos » Sat May 1, 2010 1:08:04 pm

Is it like Spain where the two big clubs get the majority of the TV money?
Bathos
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby danimal » Sat May 1, 2010 1:23:57 pm

weren't Harts bought by some rich Russian guy? Thats what always turned me off of the SPL, like EPL is the fact that the same teams win every year. No offense intended with that either

I really want to visit Scotland, my grandparents immigrated to the US from the town of Elgin. Apparently they can trace their roots in that area back to like 1300 or 1400, so they were there for quite a while :lol:
danimal
Past ECS Member

Unread postby AntifaCeltic » Sat May 1, 2010 1:30:49 pm

danimal wrote:weren't Harts bought by some rich Russian guy? Thats what always turned me off of the SPL, like EPL is the fact that the same teams win every year. No offense intended with that either

I really want to visit Scotland, my grandparents immigrated to the US from the town of Elgin. Apparently they can trace their roots in that area back to like 1300 or 1400, so they were there for quite a while :lol:

They were bought by a Lituanian guy, he seems to be a bit of a gangster though, he picks the team instead of the manager quite alot.

If you're coming and fancy going to a Celtic game, pm me :D

any more quesions?
AntifaCeltic
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby finnfan » Sun May 2, 2010 1:14:19 am

AntifaCeltic wrote:There's no real answer for it, money's obviously a huge thing though. By qualifying for the Champions League (which both teams usually do) you recieve £10 million, so it sets you up nicely - other teams don't get this. Also, every away match we and scotland's shame play is on television, other teams will really only be on TV when they play one of the Glasgow teams.

The fanbase of us and "them" is also considerabely larger than the other teams in the league, most weeks we'll get 55 000, r*ng*rs will get about 50 000, most other teams get between 10-15 000.

Isn't it also pretty much the case that Scotland has four cities that are big enough to support a top football team: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, and Dundee. And of course even Aberdeen and Dundee are less than 200,000 people. Of these Edinburgh is not really a football city. It's the working mans game, and therefore it is quite natural that Glasgow has the big clubs. The "New Firm" i.e. Aberdeen and Dundee have had periods of success, most notably in the 1980s, but being smaller cities, it's getting harder and harder for them as money is becoming more and more of a success-determining factor.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby djebam » Sun May 2, 2010 12:55:46 pm

I just want to say....this thread fucking ROCKS!

I gotta get my ass to Scotland. Shit, it even makes me want to go to the SSFC v Celtic match...and I'm not a fan of friendlies...:)

Green Brigade, look for us on the broadcast...:)
djebam
Past ECS Member

Location: Now I'm in the kitchen with your dad making pancakes.

Unread postby AntifaCeltic » Sun May 2, 2010 1:45:33 pm

I find it really interesting that you seem to find the group really good, having seen pictures from your group I thought you guys would think youre a much bigger group than anything on these shores, fascinating.

Anyway, we play the scum at home on Tuesday night, and it's our last home game of the season, so expect a good tifo from the GB :mrgreen:
AntifaCeltic
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby Bathos » Sun May 2, 2010 3:32:00 pm

AntifaCeltic wrote:I find it really interesting that you seem to find the group really good, having seen pictures from your group I thought you guys would think youre a much bigger group than anything on these shores, fascinating.

Anyway, we play the scum at home on Tuesday night, and it's our last home game of the season, so expect a good tifo from the GB :mrgreen:

The P*land Cinders are playing in Glasgow?
Bathos
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby AntifaCeltic » Sun May 2, 2010 3:42:34 pm

Haha, are Portland your rivals? I'm glad I know that, I was going to post up a nice report of their support too, forget it :mrgreen:
AntifaCeltic
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby McMongol » Sun May 2, 2010 4:04:17 pm

finnfan wrote:Of these Edinburgh is not really a football city.

not to call rubbish, but...well...rubbish. Edinburgh supports two clubs and does so very well. fact is a large chunk of the numbers that the gruesome twosome pull come from all over the country and beyond. that's how they support such big numbers.

Hibs pull from Leith, Hearts tend to pull from the Haymarket on west in my experience. that's the difference, fans of the Edinburgh clubs actually come from Edinburgh.

I've been to Easter Road and they are hardly short on passion, same with the mob over at Tynecastle. Not much of an ultra scene, just hard men in expensive sportswear. Also, I've seen some neighborhoods in Edinburgh that will make your curly hairs curl. Glasgow's got the reputation, but there are plenty of hard customers in Edinburgh. you just have to know where to look. why you would, i wouldn't know.
McMongol
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby danimal » Sun May 2, 2010 4:13:12 pm

We are big, but have a lot of "tourists" that hang around on gamedays

You know I may take you up on your offer. I'm planning on a Europe trip here hopefully around Sept or Oct. I lived in Germany for a year and I'm overdue for a visit. St Pauli just made the 1.bundesliga, I would love to go to a Hamburg vs Pauli match. When I go out there largely depends on football schedules and
my job situation. Tough time to be graduating college right now

Celtic vs Rangers May 4, I'll be sure to tune in
danimal
Past ECS Member

Unread postby finnfan » Sun May 2, 2010 10:29:10 pm

McMongol wrote:
finnfan wrote:Of these Edinburgh is not really a football city.

not to call rubbish, but...well...rubbish. Edinburgh supports two clubs and does so very well. fact is a large chunk of the numbers that the gruesome twosome pull come from all over the country and beyond. that's how they support such big numbers.

Hibs pull from Leith, Hearts tend to pull from the Haymarket on west in my experience. that's the difference, fans of the Edinburgh clubs actually come from Edinburgh.

I've been to Easter Road and they are hardly short on passion, same with the mob over at Tynecastle. Not much of an ultra scene, just hard men in expensive sportswear. Also, I've seen some neighborhoods in Edinburgh that will make your curly hairs curl. Glasgow's got the reputation, but there are plenty of hard customers in Edinburgh. you just have to know where to look. why you would, i wouldn't know.

Well, that was just the feeling I've got on my visits to Edinburgh. Granted, I only went to a game once (Hibs vs. Rangers), and while the atmosphere was pretty good, it felt like a small club. I also did not feel the presence of either of the SPL clubs when I was around town. Granted, I may have been in the wrong places for that, but I did see more than the Royal Mile and the New Town as some of my best friends actually live in Edinburgh (they are not Scottish but have lived in Edinburgh for a number of years now). And when the capacities of the stadiums are under 15,000 (Easter Road) and under about 17,000 (Tynecastle), that alone makes me think it is not a big football city. Compared to Glagow anyway. where the capacities are 3-4 times larger.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby finnfan » Sun May 2, 2010 10:31:24 pm

AntifaCeltic wrote:I find it really interesting that you seem to find the group really good, having seen pictures from your group I thought you guys would think youre a much bigger group than anything on these shores, fascinating.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that people don't expect to see any ultras type action from the UK, so even seeing just anything is impressive, and Green Brigade is definitely more than "just anything".
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby AntifaCeltic » Mon May 3, 2010 6:04:45 am

Celtic vs R*ng*rs, under 19 cup final.

AntifaCeltic
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby McMongol » Mon May 3, 2010 9:49:30 am

finnfan wrote:Well, that was just the feeling I've got on my visits to Edinburgh. Granted, I only went to a game once (Hibs vs. Rangers), and while the atmosphere was pretty good, it felt like a small club. I also did not feel the presence of either of the SPL clubs when I was around town. Granted, I may have been in the wrong places for that, but I did see more than the Royal Mile and the New Town as some of my best friends actually live in Edinburgh (they are not Scottish but have lived in Edinburgh for a number of years now). And when the capacities of the stadiums are under 15,000 (Easter Road) and under about 17,000 (Tynecastle), that alone makes me think it is not a big football city. Compared to Glagow anyway. where the capacities are 3-4 times larger.

first off, i should just leave it at this, because i've hijacked this thread enough. as to the capacities - Easter Road is being redeveloped so that's why its capacity is under 15K. My point was more that the Edinburgh clubs are neighborhood clubs, whereare the Gruesome Twosome are conglomerates who suck fans from all over the country and beyond.

glasgow is without a doubt more of an overtly footballing mad city, while Edinburgh is more subtle.

i say this as a fan of a lower league club and son and grandson of fans of said club, it makes me sad how much attention the gruesome twosome get at the expense of local clubs with good histories. so i was just sticking up for some neighborhood clubs and a good city at that. sorry to hijack. get back to tifo, etc.
McMongol
Emerald City Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to 'Round the World