Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Celtic - Green Brigade

Talk about the Rest of the World's football clubs and tifo here.

Unread postby eastside » Mon Aug 5, 2013 4:51:26 pm

Hope it works out for you guys. That's a hell of a situation to be in.
eastside
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby ericgi » Mon Aug 5, 2013 9:56:57 pm

dismayed and disgusted by what I've heard happening to GB. Those responsible for this must truly hate football and atmosphere. Shame on them all.
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby ScottishCelt-Sounder » Fri Aug 9, 2013 1:12:50 pm

Recent Green Brigade statement

On Monday we announced that the Green Brigade block within 111 was due to close at the behest of Celtic Football Club. Apparently under advice from the Safety Advisory Group of Glasgow City Council the Club arrived at the abrupt decision that they could no longer facilitate our section in the corner of Celtic Park.

After only one home game into the new season (v Cliftonville) the Green Brigade and those within our section were issued with an impromptu warning over our behaviour and threatened with bans. Given that there was little misconduct at this fixture the direct, confrontational approach from the Club took us by surprise. In the wake of this match an amicable meeting was held between Green Brigade and Club representatives, with dialogue being maintained almost daily since. Health and Safety concerns were and remain the source of dispute with the following issues being key:

- Overcrowding

While we accept that this is an issue needing addressed it is not the responsibility of the Green Brigade to enforce ticket checks and ensure fans are in the correct seat or area. This is the responsibility of the match-day stewards and ultimately the Club. While we will accept no blame in this regard we have, from the outset, done our utmost to help the situation. We have done so by discouraging the migration to our section both on our website, other websites and in person; while also co-operating with stewards on match-days with their ticket check routines.

- Moshing (mock fighting/jostling causing crowd disruption)

Despite the fact we regard this as a relatively harmless action and one which those participating in seemed to particularly enjoy, we did concede that it was unnecessary and causing unneeded and avoidable issues - particularly damage to seats. As such we agreed to refrain from doing this going forward and the Club were made aware of this intention.

- Body Surfing

Similarly to the above we felt that the safety concerns attached were being exaggerated. However, again we felt it necessary to drop this action given some of the risks attached and more importantly as a sign that we would not be stubborn and are open to co-operation and compromise. Once more, the Club were aware of our intention to stop this action.

- Broken Seating

The damage to seats within our section is one we cannot shy from nor deny. However we will not accept the Club lying or, at best, being disingenuous with the truth over their reporting of this issue. Given the energetic and boisterous style of support emanating from the section it is regrettable that there would be accidental, collateral damage to seats which aren't used and can get in the way. The insinuation from the Club though is that seats are damaged intentionally - not only is this not true but it is something which we would not tolerate. Additionally, we believe that the figures of broken seats spoken of have been deliberately manipulated in order to smear those in the section. The original numbers used seemed extremely exaggerated and we are confident that the claim of 35 seats being broken at the last game - when the one action which affected the seats most was dropped - is a complete fabrication. We have the following post-match footage which shows no clear sign of damage: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBpBvAI9pVw..._A2tOKswod6PrUQ

- Bangers

The use of 'bangers' at the Cliftonville match was regrettable and unwelcome. While our Group wasn't responsible for these being used we cannot shed the responsibility for them being used within our section. Despite accepting some responsibility we would like to state that since the formation of the section the Green Brigade have controlled ticketing therefore would be responsible for each individuals presence (unless migrated). This privilege was removed this season however which obviously dilutes our Groups accountability for those occupying the area. It could be said that this has also effected overcrowding. We have dealt with the matter of 'bangers' to ensure that there is no repeat by warning the offenders and others from a repeat and the Club are aware of this.

- Lateral Movement

On the face of things, this rather trivial and harmless action appears to be the one sticking point which we find utterly ridiculous and difficult to comprehend. It is an action which occurs for no more than 2 minutes out of the 90 and one which we have yet to witness cause any injury or risk. Indeed, we have asked time and time again for the Club to provide us with an Accident report to prove us wrong in this regard yet none has been forthcoming.

If the concern here is the blocking of stairwells then we would like to make it clear that, in actual fact, the stairwells are not blocked in the manner that is being portrayed. As you can tell from the following video from the Ross County match ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=k90i20tAx0M..._A2tOKswod6PrUQ ) for the most part most of the stairwell isn't actually blocked. Where it can become blocked is further back into the section where the issue of overcrowding is prevalent, therefore surely a product of the stewards/Clubs failings. Regardless, we question why straying onto a stairwell for seconds is deemed drastically unsafe while a congested staircase pre, during or post-match is not. We'd also like to point out that 8 stewards stand in a fixed position on the stairwells either side of our section - 4 on each side - for the duration of the match thus causing a permanent blockage. The claim that this movement leads to an increased risk of falling and injury is ambiguous: so does an enthusiastic goal celebration and even the ever popular 'Huddle' in the stands.

We believe that it is clear that there are efforts to not only sanitise our Group but supporters in general and we believe that this sanitisation will not stop with lateral movement. Accusations of sanitisation are fairly tame and not misplaced when you consider it wasn't so long ago that the Club were holding private meetings with other fan bodies where they smeared our group and section in a pathetic attempt of divide and conquer - events which were well documented at the time ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7yKQZaeSew ).

In summation it is clear that we have been fully co-operative with the Club. Since the Cliftonville match we have addressed the majority of the safety concerns outlined and eradicated three completely. One other is not our responsibility and the major issue of 'lateral movement' we believe can be challenged in a constructive and sensible manner. When we last met with the Club (after the Cliftonville match) our thoughts on all issues were made clear and our position has not deviated since. As previously touched upon, the meeting was amicable and the Club in particular stated their satisfaction with the progression being made both in terms of dialogue re-commencing and with our efforts to address the aforementioned safety concerns. We therefore find it frustrating and disappointing that their attitude appears altered for an open forum.

The Green Brigade intends and hopes to be able to reach a positive outcome through dialogue with the Club and other necessary bodies. However, this will only be possible should the relevant parties believe that each other are being honest and forthright regarding the full circumstance and unfortunately doubts do remain. We were offered a copy of the dialogue between Celtic FC and the SAG however nothing has been provided yet. We hope that these documents, as well as submitted FOI requests, can provide all with a better understanding of the situation. We have already had informal correspondence with members of Glasgow City Council regarding this predicament and their well placed thoughts do not quite add up with Celtic FC's extraordinary decision and action.

We find it hard to believe that an institution as powerful and influential as Celtic FC finds itself backed into a corner over such a trivial issue with little scope for challenge. Should the Club believe that their hands are tied then we ask them to engage with their fan bodies in a bid to explore possible solutions as opposed to carelessly landing at unnecessary and provocative ultimatums. Considering the Club advised that they are still open to dialogue in hope of resolving the issue, we were surprised to learn that all season ticket holders have already been relocated and assigned alternative seats without warning nor consultation. The absurdity of this full episode is exemplified with one member being relocated to a different stand from his 4 year old son. The current Celtic hierarchy have an embarrassing track record when it comes to defending our Club and especially its fans. We stress to them that this does not need to be another example for the list and suggest that they re-assess the full situation whilst consulting the relevant parties.

Finally we'd like to thank, as always, the Celtic support who have flooded us with positive sentiment and support. Once again we'd like to stress to those within our section to refrain from any action until we have had the opportunity to discuss the situation fully and explore all possible options for moving forward.

Until the last rebel

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/re-open-section-111/ anyone willing to sign that would be great thanks!
ScottishCelt-Sounder
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby ericgi » Fri Aug 9, 2013 8:13:47 pm

GB have conceded far more than they should ever have had to. Hopefully the club come to their senses quickly, and the season ticket relocation thing sounds absolutely absurd :(
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby ScottishCelt-Sounder » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:57:15 am

Section is back on Saturday and from now on in which is great news both Celtic and the Green Brigade to release statements tomorrow
ScottishCelt-Sounder
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby eastside » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:11:34 pm

ScottishCelt-Sounder wrote:Section is back on Saturday and from now on in which is great news both Celtic and the Green Brigade to release statements tomorrow

That's awesome news. Welcome back, lhads! Hope this doesn't become something that happens every year.
eastside
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby ericgi » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:21:17 pm

Great to hear things appear resolved at least for now!
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby ScottishCelt-Sounder » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:00:12 pm

Bad times again for the Green Brigade and well the Celtic support in general.

http://www.ultras-tifo.net/photo-news/2 ... 22013.html and because of events at this game and a political banner at a home Champions league game against AC Milan (which the club has been fined £42k for)

Celtic have banned 128 supporters and relocated the rest of the section http://www.ultras-tifo.net/news/2110-ce ... igade.html this has caused division amongst our support (some think they deserve the ban whilst others think it was harsh and stand by the group)

During our recent match at home against Hibernian (first game without the section) some supporters wearing Green Brigade merch were refused entry to the stadium whilst some supporters standing trying to create an atmosphere were filmed and harassed by police/stewards also a group of Celtic fans attacked a fellow fan inside the ground for trying to unfurl a banner in solidarity of the Green Brigade as they were "fed up with the GB embarrassing their club"

So yeah not a great time within our support just now i just hope the boys will be allowed back inside Celtic park and hopefully get some unity restored
ScottishCelt-Sounder
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby eastside » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:07:58 am

Good luck on sorting everything out. I can't imagine being on the end of a concerted effort by my club to push me out the door.
eastside
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby ares » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:19:23 pm

Shit seems fucked. Godspeed.
ares
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SeattleCalcio » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:00:01 pm

I'm trying to get tickets for the NYD derby match, hope to see GB!
SeattleCalcio
ECS Leadership

Unread postby adamrepcik » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:00:31 am

I saw an article on Celtic trying to get safe standing area (terrace) approved. It was shot down but that is definitely a step in the right direction....As long as GB gets the first crack at it!!!
adamrepcik
Past ECS Member

Unread postby AntifaCeltic » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:59:25 am

Hey guys, sorry I've not been active on here for a good while. Seattle Sounders came up in a conversation with a friend earlier and I remembered this forum and promised myself I'd update you all more often!

The situation has not been great since I was last online, however things are much better now-the Green Brigade are back in the stadium in their old section and dialogue with the club seems favourable to both parties! We play Rangers on the 1st February having not played them since 2012, so it's certainly one to keep an eye on!

Some recent highlights-

AntifaCeltic
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby SeattleCalcio » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:11:22 pm

Good to see you back here! I traveled to Glasgow on New Years Day to see the Partick Thistle vs Celtic match because I wanted to get a first hand view of the GB. I was heartbroken that the match was postponed due to the rain, now I'll probably never get to see it.
SeattleCalcio
ECS Leadership

Unread postby AntifaCeltic » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:19:48 pm

SeattleCalcio wrote:Good to see you back here! I traveled to Glasgow on New Years Day to see the Partick Thistle vs Celtic match because I wanted to get a first hand view of the GB. I was heartbroken that the match was postponed due to the rain, now I'll probably never get to see it.

That's terrible mate, really sorry to hear that. Calling the game off was an absolute joke as well, the rain was bad but nothing worth calling a game off for.
AntifaCeltic
Emerald City Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to 'Round the World