Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Celtic - Green Brigade

Talk about the Rest of the World's football clubs and tifo here.

Unread postby Bathos » Mon May 3, 2010 9:56:28 am

McMongol wrote:first off, i should just leave it at this, because i've hijacked this thread enough...

Short of starting a generic Scottish football thread, I think this is as good a place for any for this kind of discussion. I'm finding it very interesting.
Bathos
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby AntifaCeltic » Mon May 3, 2010 1:44:07 pm

Should really give a report on the group.

Name : Green Brigade.
Section : 111/North Curve (not the groups own section, but where members congregate)
Motto : Until The Last Rebel.
Year formed : 2006.
Members : About 80-90.
Membership scheme : Invite only, very difficult group to join, they don't just let anyone walk into the group.
Politics : Left wing, anti-fascism, republicanism.
Friends : No official friendships, but good relations with Toulon's "Irreductibles 1993" and political friends of all members of "ALERTA - antifascist network"

Formed in 2006 after a fallout in the group "Jungle Bhoys" who are more of a tifo group. After the dispute a few guys left and wanted to do their own thing, more European style, so the Green Brigade was formed. The group has come on leaps and bounds since then, now the front-runners in the UK Ultra scene in terms of vocals, numbers, and tifos. As well as their own members, there is a great in the group from younger lads. The group do not have good relations with the club, no permission is granted for early access to set up displays. As well as this, telescopic poles, pyro, and sometimes even canes are strictly prohibited, all of which have to be snuk into the ground. Repurcussions for pyro in this country are harsh, let off a flare and you're looking at a £1000 fine and a 3 year stadium ban from all UK grounds.

Police and stewarding is a BIG problem here, check this pic of the GB's section a few weeks back.

Any questions, fire away.

PS, photos from the youth cup final can be found on the last page.
AntifaCeltic
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby ericgi » Mon May 3, 2010 9:51:26 pm

AntifaCeltic wrote:I find it really interesting that you seem to find the group really good, having seen pictures from your group I thought you guys would think youre a much bigger group than anything on these shores, fascinating.

Anyway, we play the scum at home on Tuesday night, and it's our last home game of the season, so expect a good tifo from the GB :mrgreen:

It's not just numbers, it's mentality as well.

As noted by an earlier poster... yeah we've got decent numbers but I'd put maybe 25% of those as hardcore... fair number of tourists, or those that just show up on matchday and don't make two-sticks or help out on large choreos. There's a fair number that turn up but aren't going mental for 90 minutes... This is true of the other well supported clubs here too.

we've come a long ways in a short time, but there's still much work to be done
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby GlasgowCeltic » Mon May 3, 2010 10:11:33 pm

Looks like the club are going to go to all costs to refuse entry for the TIFO tonight against the huns.

Fuck modern football.
GlasgowCeltic
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby Spit206Fire » Tue May 4, 2010 12:35:03 am

Thats to bad to hear. I was in London to watch my blues (yeah im a chelsea fan, before abromovich though =P) and had a good time but want to go to scotland some day (after ireland of course) and go see a Celtic match.

I come from a family of O'Connell's and Meagher's so i really love the history behind celtic and hope to be able to go back there again soon.

Glad to see you guy's creating a good representation though for the club. I know alot of flack has come your way from all the dumb bloggers in our area recently and it upsets me that they know nothing about the things like the +50k people that traveled to Seville to go see them play Porto. Plus the awards they've received from UEFA and FIFA for having good behavior at the match.

Hats off to ya.
Spit206Fire
Past ECS Member

Unread postby AntifaCeltic » Tue May 4, 2010 2:48:03 am

ericgi wrote:
AntifaCeltic wrote:I find it really interesting that you seem to find the group really good, having seen pictures from your group I thought you guys would think youre a much bigger group than anything on these shores, fascinating.

Anyway, we play the scum at home on Tuesday night, and it's our last home game of the season, so expect a good tifo from the GB :mrgreen:

It's not just numbers, it's mentality as well.

As noted by an earlier poster... yeah we've got decent numbers but I'd put maybe 25% of those as hardcore... fair number of tourists, or those that just show up on matchday and don't make two-sticks or help out on large choreos. There's a fair number that turn up but aren't going mental for 90 minutes... This is true of the other well supported clubs here too.

we've come a long ways in a short time, but there's still much work to be done

I'm glad someone mentioned the mentality thing, it's the biggest critisism guys in the UK will have of your scene. One of your lads posts on Ultras UK, and alot of the guys from over here frequently use the phrase "It just doesn't look right." I'm not doubting for a second that there's alot of guys in your group who will know the score, but I think guys see the high number of replica jerseys (I understand it's common place in America) and can't take it seriously. Clothes are very important to the Celtic lot, I'll not tell you all what I wear, but the majority of guys are cutting about in "Casual clobber." The GB also encourage people to wear the colour khaki in the section, gives the image of everyone being a unit. That's what I was talking about earlier when someone mentioned Portland, they seem like they've got the clothes element spot on. Again, no offense to yourselves, by the way, I understand that wearing replicas is just something people in America do.
AntifaCeltic
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby djebam » Tue May 4, 2010 10:15:28 am

ericgi wrote:You wouldn't believe how many over here watch Green Street or Football Factories once then play dress up and think they're hard and all :roll:

QFT

The only time my scarf goes around my face is when it's cold out....:)
djebam
Past ECS Member

Location: Now I'm in the kitchen with your dad making pancakes.

Unread postby flipkick » Tue May 4, 2010 7:09:22 pm

ericgi wrote: You wouldn't believe how many over here watch Green Street or Football Factories once then play dress up and think they're hard and all :roll:

hey now! i watched green street... :oops:
hahahaha
but i am definitely not some pussy who is going to run out at the sight of real ultras. (i say real ultras, just cuz i am new and no one has officially met me yet lol)

but you cant trash green street or football factories, it can bring people to the sport, or even a little bit to Ultra culture, which is a good thing.

as for the casual thing, idk if i will ever buy a replica kit, just because they are outrageously expensive, and like our Scottish friend said, it can ruin the look of a section.
flipkick
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Tue May 4, 2010 11:24:03 pm

not trashing the shows themselves... just those who have no clue about firms or ultras other than what a film protrays (not all of it accurate mind you)
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby flipkick » Wed May 5, 2010 12:24:35 am

true true
flipkick
Past ECS Member

Unread postby AntifaCeltic » Wed May 5, 2010 10:58:54 am

liquidmj wrote:
hillsy wrote:From the pics you post, it seems that you guys aren't as much "casual" as you are....naked. 8-)

Naked is about as casual as you can get.

Anyways, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the casual culture start due to a backlash from how the FO's treated you guys and also for protection? Wearing colors in the wrong away stadium could be very dangerous. Also, you wanted to stay out of the radar of security. Again, I'm just under that assumption and would love a clarification if I'm wrong.

The casual scene was started so the "lads" could slip under the radar of police, they just looked like random guys who didn't really take an interest (no colours) in supporting the team. It was started by Aberdeen's lot.

Just when you mention the naked-ness, heres a few more pics from the under 19 game.

I don't wanna sound like a broken record, but there's very little replicas in there, shows how more people are embracing the ultra culture here.
AntifaCeltic
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby ssfcultra » Wed May 5, 2010 12:25:20 pm

Am I mistaken or is the Green Brigade right side up in those shots?
ssfcultra
Past ECS Member

Unread postby AntifaCeltic » Wed May 5, 2010 12:44:08 pm

ssfcultra wrote:Am I mistaken or is the Green Brigade right side up in those shots?

They decided that because it's not the actual group banner, it shouldn't be upside down, as if they went down that road, they'd soon be doing tifos upside down (no offense)
AntifaCeltic
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby ssfcultra » Wed May 5, 2010 1:03:03 pm

None taken. That fuck-up is distant memory. Look at how awesome that day looks outside of it: http://www.weareecs.com/nggallery/page-29/album-1/gallery-49/. Some still look at that in a negative light. However, as a group we learned something and there were a few ultras born that day. 8-)

Back on track tho - I only quickly glanced at the photos and thought it was the section banner. My mistake. Any photos from yesterday appear yet? I love how you call them Scotland's shame... Hilarious!
ssfcultra
Past ECS Member

Unread postby AntifaCeltic » Wed May 5, 2010 1:13:43 pm

ssfcultra wrote:None taken. That fuck-up is distant memory. Look at how awesome that day looks outside of it: http://www.weareecs.com/nggallery/page-29/album-1/gallery-49/. Some still look at that in a negative light. However, as a group we learned something and there were a few ultras born that day. 8-)

Back on track tho - I only quickly glanced at the photos and thought it was the section banner. My mistake. Any photos from yesterday appear yet? I love how you call them Scotland's shame... Hilarious!

Great pics to be fair, did you not re-do the tifo for the second half?

None yet, the tifo wasn't the GBs best effort but at least they managed something, which was unexpected.

The Scotland's shame thing, it originated from this green brigade display :

Was brilliant, the whole stadium laughing at them and them not having a clue what was going on :mrgreen:
AntifaCeltic
Emerald City Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to 'Round the World