Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

The Injury and Rehab Thread

ECS Football Club

Unread postby Skarpian » Fri May 25, 2012 11:50:31 am

So over the last week I've gotten some in person questions and some PM's about injuries and how they should be handled. I'm not an expert, but I've been injured enough :mrgreen: and did two years of school for sports medicine so I can normally answer the question or point people in the right direction.

At the same time I'm sure there are plenty of others here that have good advice too. Maybe if we work as a collective we can keep more players healthy and and get them recovering quicker with some good information.

--------------

I'll start off. The other day I was doing some side squats and pushed myself a little too hard and pulled my hammy, not a big deal normally, but this was a high pull and I've never had one of those before. So after some talking and research the following are link to some of the stretches/advice that's worked so far for me.

General info on the injury so I could verify I was correct in my diagnosis:
http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport ... ing-strain

Stretches that have given me the most relief.
http://www.livestrong.com/video/5092-ba ... hamstring/
http://www.knee1.com/CareTools/exercise.cfm/7
---------------

If you have a question on an injury or streach ask, If you've got the answer help out and post!

Please try to be supportive and on-topic in this thread. Thanks!
Skarpian
Past ECS Member

Unread postby aebert86 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:34:58 pm

I'm a certified athletic trainer. I haven't really been involved with ECS FC, but if anyone has any injury questions feel free to PM me. (Or post here, of course, but I can't promise to check constantly.)
aebert86
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Skarpian » Tue May 29, 2012 8:09:40 am

aebert86 wrote:I'm a certified athletic trainer. I haven't really been involved with ECS FC, but if anyone has any injury questions feel free to PM me. (Or post here, of course, but I can't promise to check constantly.)

You could probably show up, just about every week and hand out cards and drum up a lot of business with the amount of injuries we are taking these days. :mrgreen:
Skarpian
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Doc_Sounder » Tue May 29, 2012 8:15:13 am

What Skarp said. And if we get bigger/more established, I'll try to set up a medical coverage rotation.
Doc_Sounder
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby SoccerGrunt » Tue May 29, 2012 8:32:11 am

So maybe it's a good thing that I'm going back to school to go after my dergree in Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine? With all the injuries as of late I'll be busy.
SoccerGrunt
Past ECS Member

Unread postby beerbaron » Tue May 29, 2012 12:58:41 pm

We just need magic spray...it takes care of everything.
beerbaron
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby BlueEyedBuddhist » Tue May 29, 2012 3:13:42 pm

My ankle's been fucked for like 6 or 7 weeks now. It's going to take a LOT of magic spray.
BlueEyedBuddhist
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby FuzzyForeigner » Tue May 29, 2012 3:19:00 pm

i cant fit in size 34 waiste anymore.
FuzzyForeigner
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Skarpian » Tue May 29, 2012 3:46:26 pm

BlueEyedBuddhist wrote:My ankle's been fucked for like 6 or 7 weeks now. It's going to take a LOT of magic spray.

I'll be honest, I've had very few ankle injuries and can't offer more then RICE and I can teach you how to tape it. If you give a more detailed discription maybe some of the ankle guru's reading this can offer some more advice.

FuzzyForeigner wrote:i cant fit in size 34 waiste anymore.

Are you sure you didn't mean 36? Anyway I have the same issue and have not found a way to fix this injury yet. :evil:
Skarpian
Past ECS Member

Unread postby bulldog » Thu May 31, 2012 1:39:34 pm

BlueEyedBuddhist wrote:My ankle's been fucked for like 6 or 7 weeks now. It's going to take a LOT of magic spray.

not going to write a BEB length post..
my 1st ever injury was ankle...had a lot of them over the years..
we can chat if your interested..
there is a certain way of taping you can do..
talk to the "doc" as in our doc on here about scar tissue...don't know the details of your injury..how long etc..
i left it too late to do anything about scar tissue
bulldog
Past ECS Member

Unread postby BlueEyedBuddhist » Tue Jun 5, 2012 9:18:28 pm

My ankle has actually been fucked since I was born- that foot is just a tiny bit turned inwards and never really rolled out the way it should be.

So it is really susceptible to being rolled, and I've done it more times than I can count. Ligaments are probably shredded. But I'm already too damn slow (old!) so taping or a brace doesn't help. Just need to let the tendons and ligaments that are left in there heal, and I'll be back.
BlueEyedBuddhist
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Kysar_soze » Tue Jun 5, 2012 9:49:01 pm

BlueEyedBuddhist wrote:So it is really susceptible to being rolled, and I've done it more times than I can count. Ligaments are probably shredded. But I'm already too damn slow (old!) so taping or a brace doesn't help. Just need to let the tendons and ligaments that are left in there heal, and I'll be back.

I completely understand. I'm in the same boat - old, slow, stretched ligaments in the ankle, etc. Taping and Brace will help. It won't be a cureall or prevent all injuries, but it will certainly help. Personally, I prefer tape, but a good brace will work very well. Good Luck!
Kysar_soze
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Malcham » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:40:07 pm

After two consecutive broken fibulas (2011 & 2012) and 15 metal screws later, ready to get back into the thick of it with ecs fc.
:D
See you at a kick-around soon
Malcham
Past ECS Member

Unread postby miniburnsie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:41:25 pm

Malcham wrote:After two consecutive broken fibulas (2011 & 2012) and 15 metal screws later, ready to get back into the thick of it with ecs fc.
:D
See you at a kick-around soon

good to hear! you are a rehab champ
miniburnsie
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Wally Russito » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:43:51 pm

I had a high ankle sprain playing indoor in april. I didnt do a lot in terms of recovery, just RICE for two days. I think lucked out when it comes down to it, because i am playing today. I still have pain when i do certain flexes but thats to be expected, right? I try to do the "air alphabet" routine before i play now...
Wally Russito
Past ECS Member

Next

Return to ECS FC