Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

2012 Co-Ed Indoor Winter Thread

ECS Football Club

Unread postby miniburnsie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:37:40 am

going to be working on agility hopefully this weekend, and some exploding speed. felt like I was slow getting to the ball and turning.
(I'm committing to that here so that I'll actually do it!)
miniburnsie
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Doc_Sounder » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:56:53 am

Damn, my jaw is still throbbing and clicking. And I need to get my ass running more, I'm slightly better than worthless out in the field.
Doc_Sounder
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby SPQR » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:53:27 am

4-2 win

Goals: Sarah (x2), Anthony, Megan

Hmm, we won that one, but to be honest I feel like we may have been a bit more disjointed than usual. Part of that comes down to having played 48 hours ago...I definitely felt a bit more fatigued than usual myself, and I think touches and passes weren't as clean as they normally are. Part of that comes down to the circumstances of the game - didn't initially look like they had enough to play, so Morgan went to help them out. Always a bit strange when playing against one of your own teammates in a competitive game.

Also, part of what I think was happening was a bit of disorganization which has now become very uncharacteristic for our team. We used to have lapses (especially defensive) a lot more often when we were in our formative stages. Now that we've come together as a unit, we don't really have those lapses any more at all. Except we had a few last night, including their second goal. We seemed really anxious and frantic out there, not playing with the usual confidence that I think we've come to have lately. Especially with our communication on the field, it was more of "shouting desperate commands" rather than "giving our teammates information that they can use." (I hope that makes sense) It comes down to *me* to get everyone on the same page, so I'll make sure we stay a bit more organized next game, especially when we're talking assignments. But that's one area of improvement for next week.

With that out of the way, we've now won five in a row! This streak has been incredible! Five weeks ago, we were in last place at 1-5. Now, we have moved into third place out of seven with one match to go, and we are guaranteed to finish at least .500 . Right now I'm not overly concerned with how we finish in the table, or wins vs losses, moreso how we play, and improvement, getting better as a team. That's what I'm really proud of, and this winning streak (and our record) is a fair reflection of the hard work that people have been putting in all season long. Players have been flexible and willing to try new positions, and when I've asked them to concentrate on improving a particular aspect, I am seeing the results on the field. The more experienced players that play on multiple ECS FC teams have not only been stepping up their individual play but their tactical understanding. Everyone has been really responsive to coaching, which makes things rewarding for me and just makes this run all the better. See you all on Monday!
SPQR
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SPQR » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:57:32 am

A big thank you to Doc, Nisha, and Marcus for helping us out last night!!
SPQR
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SPQR » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:56:08 am

A very close 6-5 loss last night on our last game of the season.

Goals:
Kyle (x2)
Megan (x2)
Courteney

Assists:
Matthew
Megan

First off, well done to Kyle for his brace! Excellent finishing, and that second one was a nice halftime buzzer beater! And congratulations to Courteney on her first career goal - that one was a long time coming and a culmination of a lot of hard work by her this season!

Winning five in a row was a great achievement for us, and any time a team strings together results like that, it involves a couple of favorable bounces here and there as well as a touch of luck. Last night, I felt that we really did not play poorly at all. The bounces just weren't going our way, the luck just sort of ran out on our excellent run of wins. One of their goals was lucky, on a mistake that is very rare for us. Three of their goals were just fantastic individual efforts from their guys. Like I said after the game - if we play very solid defense, if we don't stab, if we stand them up and force them to go around us, and they just take that foot of space and unleash a shot into the top corner, there's not really much we can do other than put our hands up and recognize a good goal. Normally, that might happen, what, once a game at this level? They scored three goals like that. From our perspective, that's very unlucky. Like I was telling some of our defenders, I don't want us to change how we have been defending. I'd rather us not stab, I'd rather we stand them up and force them to take very difficult shots in a small window, and if they score amazing goals there is not a ton we can do about it. No need to feel bad about giving those ones up, and no need to feel bad about losing that game!

Overall, though, we made it very close because we did all the little things right. No need to belabor the same points that I’ve been making, but we continued to do all the small things we have been succeeding with in the last five weeks. Our finishing was better, generally. We created significantly more good chances than they did, and the odds say that the team creating the majority of the chances will win the majority of the time. Let’s take this great play into the next session starting in a few weeks!
SPQR
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SPQR » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:23:38 pm

Final stats for our season:

Record 6W-6L-0D, 18 points, 38 GF, 40 GA, -2 GD. Fourth place overall.

We were the top defensive team in the league by a margin four goals!

Goals:
Sarah 8
Rory 7
Anthony 6
Morgan 4
Matthew 3
Megan 3
Kyle 3
Courteney 1
SPQR
Past ECS Member

Previous