Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

They keep trying to take it away from us

A Place To Talk About Seattle's MLS Team.

Unread postby rhombus » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:12:19 pm

I was there. Yeah, it was an awful game and decided in the worst way possible. But we won, and we should feel great about it. And we should all be proud of how hard we supported throughout a tough season and helped carry the team through to the end.

However, journalists and commenters elsewhere including Weibe of MLSSoccer.com keep telling us we didn't deserve to win. I have to admit, it's bothering me. I know it doesn't matter, the Cup is in our hands and has our name on it. But still, I want to feel nothing but good about what we and the team did.

Any advice for coping with all this negativity? Is anybody else dealing with the same complex feelings about it? Am I a huge jerk for even bringing it up?
rhombus
Past ECS Member

Unread postby shieldk2 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:32:44 pm

In these instances there's one thing that always helps me out:

NO ONE LIKES US. WE DON'T CARE!!
*middle fingers in the air*
shieldk2
ECS Leadership

Unread postby icedcold » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:08:40 pm

rhombus wrote:I was there. Yeah, it was an awful game and decided in the worst way possible. But we won, and we should feel great about it. And we should all be proud of how hard we supported throughout a tough season and helped carry the team through to the end.

However, journalists and commenters elsewhere including Weibe of MLSSoccer.com keep telling us we didn't deserve to win. I have to admit, it's bothering me. I know it doesn't matter, the Cup is in our hands and has our name on it. But still, I want to feel nothing but good about what we and the team did.

Any advice for coping with all this negativity? Is anybody else dealing with the same complex feelings about it? Am I a huge jerk for even bringing it up?

Results > method IMO.
I especially don't care how we did it when the method yields a MLS Cup.
icedcold
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby jtowner » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:30:15 pm

Given our place after 20 games, we had no business making it to MLS Cup, but we did, taking out SKC, FDC and COL along the way. Any one of those teams could have beaten us, but they didn't. Yea, PKs suck, but we won based on the rules in front of us. If SoG was the tie breaker after 120 minutes, TFC would have won. But it's not, and after both teams scored 4 of 5 from the spot, we went head to head, and Roman Torres wrote himself into Sounders history.

TFC flinched, and we lifted the cup. End of story.
jtowner
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby kallistec » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:34:52 pm

I could go on about how maybe Toronto didn't "deserve" to host the game because they play in the weak-ass east, or how Toronto didn't "deserve" to face a Sounders team without Deuce, or how a team that can't score in 120 minutes playing at home doesn't "deserve" anything either. But. "They" can only take it away from you if you let them. Fuck them.
kallistec
ECS Leadership

Unread postby McTrixie » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:48:19 pm

Who cares how we won. We won. WE WON THE FUCKING CUP.

Honestly, there's always going to be haters. When we won USOC cups, it was "that tournament doesn't mean anything tho" .

When we won the Supporters Shield, it was "yeah but it's not like you won the MLS Cup, so it's not a big deal."

Then we win the cup and now it's "but you didn't deserve it, blah blah blah".

Look there are 11 men on that field and each one has a job to do. Our 11 men stopped theirs from scoring a goal, period. PK shootouts are part of the rules, part of the game. And our men were better. You damn well better believe that they deserve that cup.
McTrixie
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby julieinsc » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:58:39 pm

shieldk2 wrote:In these instances there's one thing that always helps me out:

NO ONE LIKES US. WE DON'T CARE!!
*middle fingers in the air*

Best response ever. Then offer to show them your pics of the Sounders with the championship cup. :funny:
julieinsc
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby rhombus » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:00:21 pm

Also, our support won the match. They have a few years on us and they still have no songs and only one chant, "TFC, TFC, TFC." Their fans were taking pictures and vids of us like we were the odd ones.
rhombus
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Forza_Seattle » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:01:07 am

It doesn't matter. Finals are decided by one or two mistakes. Sometimes teams play more conservatively than in other matches and that's fine too.

Playoff is a tournament.it is a sprint, not a marathon. Sometimes you need little bit of luck to win it. No rules were broken in winning this tournament. It shouldn't be bothering you for one second.

Same when people complain about away goal advantage.

For me the true champion is Dallas.
Forza_Seattle
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby JasonB » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:04:32 am

Garber needs to go. The playoff format dropped. Relegation added as there are too many teams and the lack of balance east/west generally keeps the best teams from showing at the final. IMHO

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
JasonB
Past ECS Member

Unread postby JasonB » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05:27 am

We played in the broken system and won. "No one likes us..."

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
JasonB
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Bazzered » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:30:32 pm

AFAIK, the team that puts the ball in the back of the net more times than the other team has always won the football match. We did that, so we 'deserved' to win.

How many games did we have more SOG this year, but no points to show for it? Did we 'deserve' to win the Shield? Also, it's not like spot kicks are some crazy MLS-only rule. If it's good enough for UEFA Champions League and the World Cup, it's good enough to decide the MLS Cup Champion. Lastly, there was always going to be negativity directed at this team no matter how we won. As others have said, 'Noone likes us...'

We won, and we should all continue to celebrate without reservation, exactly like we don't care.
Bazzered
Past ECS Member

Unread postby mikewarbington » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:58:02 pm

Anybody who talks about “deserves” can just fuck right the fuck off.

How many games did Seattle “deserve” to win games that were decided by bullshit calls early in this season? How many shots did Nelson Valdez “deserve” to make over the course of the most snake-bitten season imaginable? How many more goals and assists did Dempsey “deserve” to have this year but didn't because he was sidelined?

Toronto has the best offensive player in the league in Giovinco and he failed at his job. Toronto has a red hot Jozy Altidore and he failed at his job. Toronto had the momentum and the home field advantage and one of the supposedly best fanbases in all of MLS and they failed at their job. Toronto had it on a platter, and they couldn’t put it away. They had seven shots on goal. Shots on goal don’t mean shit.

Love it or hate it, this Sounders championship is the epitome of MLS. The playoffs don’t measure who the best team is. That consolation prize is the Supporter’s Shield. The playoffs rewards the team with the grit, determination, and luck who are good enough at the right time of year.

Toronto had every advantage in this game and they blew it. They didn’t “deserve” the game to be handed to them. They had the opportunity to take it and they failed. The Sounders succeeded in shutting out the Toronto offense who had already scored a ridiculous 17 goals in the playoffs. They played with as much grit and determination as any team ever has.

The Sounders are the immovable object that stopped the unstoppable force. Toronto missed an opportunity and the Sounders took advantage.

This isn’t kindergarten. There is no fairness. There is no “deserves.” There are champions and there are losers, and The Sounders are MLS Champions. End of story.
mikewarbington
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Ultra666 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:33:53 am

A Cup Final played in freezing temperatures is going to result in a gritty, what some may call "ugly" match.

We played one of the top offensive teams in the league, and we shut them out for 120 minutes.

I am sure that the plan was something to the effect of - if a goal scoring opportunity presents itself, take it. If not, don't go looking for it leaving the team in a venerable position. Some may not like that game plan, but it can be effective when you are matched up against a team like Toronto, in Toronto, in very cold temperatures.
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby bgk » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:40:45 pm

They hate us anyway. Might as well rejoice in our star.
bgk
Past ECS Member

Next

Return to Seattle Sounders FC