Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Rumor: Henry to Seattle MLS?

A Place To Talk About Seattle's MLS Team.

Unread postby Chicano » Tue Jun 3, 2008 6:43:26 am

Sorry! All I saw was DMB and I thought "Dave Matthews Band plays Mid?"
:dunce:
Chicano
Past ECS Member

Unread postby thanatos80 » Tue Jun 3, 2008 9:43:53 am

YukataNinja wrote:Why would Beasley want to leave Rangers? I know he was injured for awhile, but he just got healthy and is back in their rotation, right?
The reasons I heard were, 1. exposure. No offense to any SPL fans, but come on, what kind of media exposure can someone get, playing in Scotland. He can make a huge amount, in endorsement money, by coming back to the states. And 2. except for Celtic, and Rangers, the rest of the SPL is shite. The competition level in MLS, overall, is better than the SPL. So, having the starting USMNT left wing play against tougher league competition, than he currently does, helps the national team.
thanatos80
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby Lamil » Tue Jun 3, 2008 9:45:59 am

I could see him wanting to come to MLS, but I agree about Gardner playing his way into the MLS squad at the moment.
Lamil
Past ECS Member

Unread postby squarehead » Tue Jun 3, 2008 1:01:15 pm

Wouldn't Beasley also want to go back to Chicago? Admittedly as Blanco + BMB = CAP HEADACHE, they might not be able to take him back.
squarehead
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Lamil » Tue Jun 3, 2008 1:05:24 pm

He might want to head there but I don't think they would need him at this point.
Lamil
Past ECS Member

Unread postby gesternwelt » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:18:46 pm

This thread is full of win. Things to take from ...

1. Bitter Spurs fans are infinitely bitter.
2. The media is remarkably gullible, uninformed, and malleable.
3. Plastic arsenal fans are plastic.
4. Ridiculous speculation is ridiculous.
5. WSD is desperate for papertalk nonsense.
6. MLSinSeattle.com is not easily caught up in said nonsense.
7. Fans think the creme of Europes' over-rated aging retirees is coming to America will be a) entertaining; b) good for the league; c) even remotely realistic.
8. Spreading of more rampant rumors based on chelski needing a striker, before Drogba is even out the door. Next you'll tell me he's going to Rangers until January when they'll sell him to Chelski to ease the pain of Gunner diehards everywhere as some kind of conspiracy plan. (this rumor does exist, an inventive pipe dream by friends of Beasley)
9. Good luck buying on the cheap in Brazil and Argentina. Europe and Japan have been hard at work sledging everything they can get out of that region for 10 years now.
10. Extensive quoting of padded attendance records.
11. The obligatory bold-faced lie -- err, statements from the player in question, claiming he is happy and well-situated.
12. The mere notion that ANY sporting team in the US could justify his transfer fee, let alone his wages.
13. People who clearly know nothing of Barcas' situation feeling obligated to weigh in.
14. Uh oh... somebody called Beckham over-rated... prepare for the onslaught of millions of 12yr old girls.
15. People quoting NFL theories on how to play its' counterpart. Maybe they just got confused?
16. Me praying to god Seattle doesn't actually play 10 in the box or blow their load on a keeper.
17. Somebody calling MLS a "big league"
18. Beasley in Rangers' lineup.... sorry, had to recover from my episode of rolling around on the floor.
19. More football money to be had in MLS than SPL??? Well, if you're Beasley... probably. :D
gesternwelt
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby ssfcultra » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:10:55 pm

Dave Clark from Sounder at Heart brought up the Henry to Seattle rumor again yesterday and even did some more analysis about what Barca's rotation policy might mean for our chances:

http://sounderatheart.com/2008/10/prince-henry-fabulous-he-henry-transfer-rumor-thread/

The fact is that Seattle is on the short list, along with Red Bull NY and several English clubs. This we seem to know. What we don?t know is if Drew Carey?s fascination with Barcelona will be enough. We also don?t know if Adrian Hanauer?s connections to France are enough. We don?t know if Joe Roth?s connections to the entertainment industry will be enough. We don?t know if having the largest season ticket base in MLS will be enough.
ssfcultra
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby MMClark » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:04:59 pm

EmeraldCityGooner wrote:Dave Clark from Sounder at Heart brought up the Henry to Seattle rumor again yesterday and even did some more analysis about what Barca's rotation policy might mean for our chances:

http://sounderatheart.com/2008/10/prince-henry-fabulous-he-henry-transfer-rumor-thread/

The fact is that Seattle is on the short list, along with Red Bull NY and several English clubs. This we seem to know. What we don?t know is if Drew Carey?s fascination with Barcelona will be enough. We also don?t know if Adrian Hanauer?s connections to France are enough. We don?t know if Joe Roth?s connections to the entertainment industry will be enough. We don?t know if having the largest season ticket base in MLS will be enough.

Henry would be a DP, and I do not want to have 2 DPs in our first year. Having two DPs under the salary cap would hurt us so bad in filling the rest of the squad. $800k for 2 players, plus probably $200k-$300k for Kasey, $90k for Seba, that leaves somewhere around $1mil for 7 first team players AND the entire reserve team.

I wholeheartedly believe that acquiring Henry before the season commences would destroy our wonderful start. I believe the Front Office is intelligent enough to recognize this, and won't commit their time and money to pursuing Henry. So based on my assumption that Adrian and the rest of the staff are smart, we will not be seeing Henry play at Seattle.

Seattle may be on the "short list", but there is no possibility for it in my mind after we signed Ljungberg.
MMClark
Past ECS Member

Unread postby chelSEA » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:12:31 pm

So Freddy and Henry, then we could also go after Patrick Vieria and Ashley Cole... we have a video game shirt sponsor... keep dreaming Gooner
chelSEA
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby soundersfootblogger » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:30:15 pm

any proper gooner would puke at the thought of ashley cole joining the sounders.
soundersfootblogger
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby Ultra666 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:39:40 pm

He's not coming to Seattle.
This rumor needs to die...
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby thanatos80 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:46:40 pm

MMClark wrote:
EmeraldCityGooner wrote:Dave Clark from Sounder at Heart brought up the Henry to Seattle rumor again yesterday and even did some more analysis about what Barca's rotation policy might mean for our chances:

Henry would be a DP, and I do not want to have 2 DPs in our first year. Having two DPs under the salary cap would hurt us so bad in filling the rest of the squad. $800k for 2 players, plus probably $200k-$300k for Kasey, $90k for Seba, that leaves somewhere around $1mil for 7 first team players AND the entire reserve team.

I wholeheartedly believe that acquiring Henry before the season commences would destroy our wonderful start. I believe the Front Office is intelligent enough to recognize this, and won't commit their time and money to pursuing Henry. So based on my assumption that Adrian and the rest of the staff are smart, we will not be seeing Henry play at Seattle.

Seattle may be on the "short list", but there is no possibility for it in my mind after we signed Ljungberg.

Couple of factually INcorrect statements, in that post. 1) A second DP would only count $325K against the cap, 2) Keller is making closer to $150K, and 3) for about the 10 millionth time, DV players do not, do NOT, DO NOT COUNT AGAINST THE CAP!!!!!! :pissedoff:
thanatos80
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby Ultra666 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:50:02 pm

None of that matters, as I highly doubt we will be getting Henry.
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby ssfcultra » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:51:23 pm

Calm down there fella. A lot of people don't and didn't know that. I didn't. :hide:
ssfcultra
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby bedir than average » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:38:57 pm

I want to be clear. I wrote the original peice on Oct 12th

http://sounderatheart.com/2008/10/princ ... or-thread/

I treat it as a tracking thread where I follow most rumors that I catch of the likely move of Henry in January.

I also tend to track a few other DP level players that were once attached to SSFC

http://sounderatheart.com/2008/11/hints ... d-be-said/

That's my recent on Henry, Adu and Nakamura.

A reminder SSFC would need to trade for a second DP, or convince four more teams (I am of the belief that TFC, LA, RedBull, DC United and Chicago already believe this) that a second slot for every team would help the league.

Also thana already got the corrections concerning cap rules. (s)He's got the details on the rules down quite well.

Lastly, thanks for the link up I apprectiate the readership.
bedir than average
Emerald City Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Seattle Sounders FC