jtowner
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby MMClark » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16:09 pm

malcontentjake wrote:EDIT: this thread should be in ECS tifo

OP does not have access.
MMClark
Past ECS Member

Unread postby afecks » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:21:51 pm

bobdavisnpf wrote:King, thanks for joining the ranks of the flag bearers! My idea of "moderate size" is 10'6 x 10'6 (mine was 11x11 to start); if you want to start small, maybe 5'x7' would work?

I always carry in my BFF with a Prism Kites 18' 6-section pole. I always have the flag in the top of an open small backpack, the pole out of its sleeve. I present the pole at an angle to show it's hollow and say "all hollow plastic" to the bag-checker. I go in the SW gate, near one end or the other to make it easiest for the supervisor to approach. A third of the time they will call the supervisor who will say I'm supposed to already have that in the stadium, and I apologize for my lateness. Once last year they stopped me; one of the ECS Security guys vouched for me (thanks Manuch!) and after a short delay (less than 5 min) the BFF pole was ok'd.

I'd ask our tifo crew to take over this flag's in&out handling, as CLink would prefer, but I keep convincing myself I'm going to get there in time for MTTM. When I do bring it in on MTTM, the bag-check folks see it coming, I break it down for bag-check, and they wave it right in.

I've been wondering about that, Bob. And I've been thinking for a long time about making my own flag and bringing it in. One of the bigger hitches for me is that my seats are upstairs in the 300 level, so I doubt the FO would let me do that. I suppose I could ask them though, and I could agree to not wave it during the run of play, and only from the back row, or wherever else they might designate.

I know what you're all thinking: "why don't you just come to the ECS section then?"

Because I'm a pansy that doesn't like getting rained on, and I sit with my dad, who isn't down with the more vocal aspects of supporting.

I'm aware that I probably can't have my cake and eat it too, but maybe I'll see if I can reach someone at the FO to see if something can be arranged... All they can do is say "no".
afecks
Past ECS Member

Unread postby jtowner » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:39:24 pm

Dreams of running the upper horseshoe with giant flags post-goal??

There is an upside to the upper deck being closed off most games :D
jtowner
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby bobdavisnpf » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:25:38 pm

I think there's a lot you could do with flags in the 300 level, including big flags. It'll certainly help to bring in a flag frequently and see what works out. The more you get to work out, the more you can get in the near future.

Certainly by next year you could have a BFF up there. Look at what NEF/Furia have going on in the Hawks Nest - they've got one or two BFFs going almost nonstop in some games.
bobdavisnpf
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby JesseSFC » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:36:19 pm

bobdavisnpf wrote:I think there's a lot you could do with flags in the 300 level, including big flags. It'll certainly help to bring in a flag frequently and see what works out. The more you get to work out, the more you can get in the near future.

Certainly by next year you could have a BFF up there. Look at what NEF/Furia have going on in the Hawks Nest - they've got one or two BFFs going almost nonstop in some games.

I would really like to see what kinda poles they use, a couple of theirs are bigger then our 20', would you say their flags are made outa the same material yours is bob?
JesseSFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby jtowner » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:44:38 pm

JesseSFC wrote:
bobdavisnpf wrote:I think there's a lot you could do with flags in the 300 level, including big flags. It'll certainly help to bring in a flag frequently and see what works out. The more you get to work out, the more you can get in the near future.

I would really like to see what kinda poles they use, a couple of theirs are bigger then our 20', would you say their flags are made outa the same material yours is bob?

I'll pay attention next time, but I've got 32' fiberglass poles now. The key is that on that end of the pitch, there's more natural wind, so waving isn't so hard.
jtowner
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby kingofkings24 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:08:50 pm

Thanks for the ideas on the poles. I have a slight idea of what I am going to do with poles but I am still not sure.
kingofkings24
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby kingofkings24 » Sun Nov 4, 2012 1:04:55 pm

What is a BFF flag?
kingofkings24
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby RatCity » Sun Nov 4, 2012 1:08:09 pm

A big fuckin flag
RatCity
Past ECS Member

Unread postby JesseSFC » Sun Nov 4, 2012 3:06:46 pm

Our tall flags that you see.
JesseSFC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Wazzu Sounder » Fri Nov 9, 2012 1:52:37 pm

afecks wrote:
bobdavisnpf wrote:King, thanks for joining the ranks of the flag bearers! My idea of "moderate size" is 10'6 x 10'6 (mine was 11x11 to start); if you want to start small, maybe 5'x7' would work?

I always carry in my BFF with a Prism Kites 18' 6-section pole. I always have the flag in the top of an open small backpack, the pole out of its sleeve. I present the pole at an angle to show it's hollow and say "all hollow plastic" to the bag-checker. I go in the SW gate, near one end or the other to make it easiest for the supervisor to approach. A third of the time they will call the supervisor who will say I'm supposed to already have that in the stadium, and I apologize for my lateness. Once last year they stopped me; one of the ECS Security guys vouched for me (thanks Manuch!) and after a short delay (less than 5 min) the BFF pole was ok'd.

I'd ask our tifo crew to take over this flag's in&out handling, as CLink would prefer, but I keep convincing myself I'm going to get there in time for MTTM. When I do bring it in on MTTM, the bag-check folks see it coming, I break it down for bag-check, and they wave it right in.

I've been wondering about that, Bob. And I've been thinking for a long time about making my own flag and bringing it in. One of the bigger hitches for me is that my seats are upstairs in the 300 level, so I doubt the FO would let me do that. I suppose I could ask them though, and I could agree to not wave it during the run of play, and only from the back row, or wherever else they might designate.

I know what you're all thinking: "why don't you just come to the ECS section then?"

Because I'm a pansy that doesn't like getting rained on, and I sit with my dad, who isn't down with the more vocal aspects of supporting.

I'm aware that I probably can't have my cake and eat it too, but maybe I'll see if I can reach someone at the FO to see if something can be arranged... All they can do is say "no".

The upper deck is perfect for draping your flag(s) over the railing. When I had 300 level seats above ECS that is what I always did.

EDIT: As long as your aren't covering up the advertisements, the FO has zero problem with it.
Wazzu Sounder
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby kingofkings24 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:25:15 pm

What would be the best size for a first flag? would a sub group size flag be to big or could I go bigger?
kingofkings24
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby TraditionalSkin89 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:36:56 pm

kingofkings24 wrote:What would be the best size for a first flag? would a sub group size flag be to big or could I go bigger?

your welcome to go as big as you want. a 10'x10' is a good place to start though
TraditionalSkin89
Past ECS Member

Unread postby FuzzyForeigner » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:42:05 pm

kingofkings24 wrote:What would be the best size for a first flag? would a sub group size flag be to big or could I go bigger?

a personal flag? i would go with 5x5. make sure you get the right pantone colors:

black, white, 370c (ssfc green) 647c (ssfc blue)
FuzzyForeigner
Past ECS Member

Previous

Return to Match Day