Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

11/02/2012 :: SSFC : RSL -- KICK 19:00 Playoffs

Everything match specific.

Unread postby reasonbass » Fri Nov 2, 2012 9:59:39 pm

Going after Rimando made us look like ignorant, classless douchebags. It was pretty apparent right away that he was actually hurt.
reasonbass
Past ECS Member

Unread postby AlexPadilla » Fri Nov 2, 2012 10:09:05 pm

reasonbass wrote:Going after Rimando made us look like ignorant, classless douchebags. It was pretty apparent right away that he was actually hurt.

Agreed. I couldn't believe that people went after him. He was clearly hurt.
AlexPadilla
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Shonka3dogs » Fri Nov 2, 2012 10:23:57 pm

Speaking of ignorant and classless, there was a guy near me in lower GA who was screaming at a girl because her handmade 2-pole was blocking his view. When others around him stuck up for her and told him he's in the wrong section he screamed louder that he would "knock them the f@c@ out". I never thought I'd see this in ECS section.
Shonka3dogs
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ProdigalReality » Fri Nov 2, 2012 10:42:06 pm

Very risky formation. I was surprised we even went with it.

ProdigalReality
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby McTrixie » Fri Nov 2, 2012 10:42:56 pm

reasonbass wrote:Going after Rimando made us look like ignorant, classless douchebags. It was pretty apparent right away that he was actually hurt.

I've never been a fan of this chant, but it never quite made me wince like it did at that moment.
McTrixie
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby finnfan » Fri Nov 2, 2012 10:46:22 pm

If we don't want to do Let Him Die when the player is actually hurt, we need to stop doing it altogether. Otherwise misjudgements are unavoidable.

Pesonally I though today's usage was spot on. For me the chant is not meant as sarcastic commentary, but the purpose is to create a hostile environment. Yeah, when it is a severe injury of a season or career ending type, you hope not to hear it, but when it's more of a knock like today was, then for me it's fair game. Soccer is a physical game.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby mlihlen » Fri Nov 2, 2012 10:48:41 pm

finnfan wrote:Pesonally I though today's usage was spot on. For me the chant is not meant as sarcastic commentary, but the purpose is to create a hostile environment.

+1
mlihlen
Past ECS Member

Unread postby reasonbass » Fri Nov 2, 2012 10:48:59 pm

finnfan wrote:If we don't want to do Let Him Die when the player is actually hurt, we need to stop doing it altogether. Otherwise misjudgements are unavoidable.

Pesonally I though today's usage was spot on. For me the chant is not meant as sarcastic commentary, but the purpose is to create a hostile environment. Yeah, when it is a severe injury of a season or career ending type, you hope not to hear it, but when it's more of a knock like today was, then for me it's fair game. Soccer is a physical game.

All due respect (to someone I respect a great deal on all things soccer)...but that's bullshit.
reasonbass
Past ECS Member

Unread postby vallenato78 » Fri Nov 2, 2012 10:52:27 pm

Fuck Rimando. He got up and played the rest of the game just fine. I didn't feel bad for a second.
vallenato78
Past ECS Member

Unread postby finnfan » Fri Nov 2, 2012 10:57:09 pm

reasonbass wrote:
finnfan wrote:If we don't want to do Let Him Die when the player is actually hurt, we need to stop doing it altogether. Otherwise misjudgements are unavoidable.

All due respect (to someone I respect a great deal on all things soccer)...but that's bullshit.

Respect does not mean we have to agree on everything. :)

Anyway, that's how I think it was used pre 2009. Then things got a little more PC as the ECS and the rest of Sounders fan base grew.

And yeah, I know it is wrong to chant that to somebody who is hurting. But fuck do I care?
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby finnfan » Fri Nov 2, 2012 11:02:24 pm

Perhaps it helps understand my point of view if I'll add that I thought booing Rimando afterwards was ridiculous. He had done nothing wrong.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby Ironthumb » Fri Nov 2, 2012 11:09:41 pm

finnfan wrote:Pesonally I though today's usage was spot on. For me the chant is not meant as sarcastic commentary, but the purpose is to create a hostile environment. Yeah, when it is a severe injury of a season or career ending type, you hope not to hear it, but when it's more of a knock like today was, then for me it's fair game. Soccer is a physical game.

:ditto:

From where I was standing (122) I couldn't tell he was hurt at first. After a while it became apparent he probably wasn't faking it, but the fact that he sat on the ground for five minutes then got up and played on like nothing happened fueled a lot of anger towards him. MMClark did a good job trying to end the booing after the incident.
Ironthumb
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby MMClark » Fri Nov 2, 2012 11:21:38 pm

I'd rather have people booing at an opponent than bitching about the referee every match. When the result isn't going our way, the boos are going to come out to play.

I have no shame in taunting a player that was able to get up and finish out the game. If he got stretchered off with a career ending concussion, I would feel a little bad. But tonight, bad I feel not.
MMClark
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Goonda » Fri Nov 2, 2012 11:22:08 pm

The little wave that Rimando gave us after he got up was a nice touch. :lol:
Goonda
Past ECS Member

Unread postby finnfan » Fri Nov 2, 2012 11:27:25 pm

Rimando seems to also be a good sport about it on Twitter. Looks like he gets what the chant is about.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

PreviousNext

Return to Match Day