Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

03/06/13 :: UANL Tigres : SSFC (CCL) -- KICK 19:00

Everything match specific.

Unread postby Nikolai » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:13:02 pm

Flag went up but that was an awesome save from Gspurning.
Nikolai
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Ollie Board » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:30:49 pm

They are getting closer, Off the line :o
I don't know how we're still in this TBH
Ollie Board
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby Nikolai » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:37:42 pm

OFFSIDES MUCH?! wtf...
Nikolai
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Ollie Board » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:38:52 pm

Not offside :o
Ollie Board
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby Ollie Board » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:46:04 pm

We've been much better since the goal!! Hope we don't get done on the counter.
Ollie Board
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby katsu » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:56:23 pm

1-0 Final, not too shabby at all to take that back home.
katsu
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Ollie Board » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:58:03 pm

Not bad at all that. I thought we could've even nicked a draw at the end there.
Ollie Board
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby rav3nous » Wed Mar 6, 2013 10:02:50 pm

Zach Scott strikes again.
rav3nous
Past ECS Member

Unread postby rg2 » Wed Mar 6, 2013 10:05:28 pm

I don't know how we didn't end that in a 0-0 draw. From the stream I was watching they didn't have the camera zoomed out for the lone Tigres goal. To me, I have no clue how that was not offsides x3.

Still nothing the keeper could have done with that header rebound. I wasn't worried at all this game even though we barely made it into their area.
rg2
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby finnfan » Wed Mar 6, 2013 10:10:53 pm

This was a good result, and honestly, before the match I didn't think escaping from Monterrey with just one goal down was very likely. I thought this was a very mature performance by the Sounders. Unlike when we first started playing CCL matches, we are no longer naive in these away matches. We now know how to take advantage of stoppages and make them a bit longer than they need to be, and Sigi's tactics were spot on too. At 1-0 it would have been naive to start pushing for the equalizer.

I was very surprised that Tigres did not push for the 2-0 goal after they got the goal. A 2-0 result would have killed the series right there, but 1-0 gives us a fighting chance. Of course Tigres are likely to score in Seattle too, and in that case we are going to need at least three goals, but that is within the realm of possibility. And so is a 2-0 win too, although that is going to take a superb defensive performance.

Scott was clearly out of his league tonight. A lot of mistakes, and he was the one who kept the two Tigres players onside for the goal.

Traore was great. He is going to be an important player for us this season.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby finnfan » Wed Mar 6, 2013 10:12:18 pm

rg2 wrote:I don't know how we didn't end that in a 0-0 draw. From the stream I was watching they didn't have the camera zoomed out for the lone Tigres goal. To me, I have no clue how that was not offsides x3.

Both the player who made the initial header and the one who scored from the rebound were clearly onside based on the replay. There was third player who was offside, but he was walking away from the goal, so the linesman made the correct interpretation that he did not participate in the play, and hence there was no offside.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby Nikolai » Wed Mar 6, 2013 10:31:44 pm

finnfan wrote:
rg2 wrote:I don't know how we didn't end that in a 0-0 draw. From the stream I was watching they didn't have the camera zoomed out for the lone Tigres goal. To me, I have no clue how that was not offsides x3.

Both the player who made the initial header and the one who scored from the rebound were clearly onside based on the replay. There was third player who was offside, but he was walking away from the goal, so the linesman made the correct interpretation that he did not participate in the play, and hence there was no offside.

The ball was played in his direction on that kick in while that player was offsides, the flag should've gone up right there. Even though he was not directly involved in the play on the ball, when you play a ball into the vicinity of an offsides player, that should be called. I might not be able to make an unbiased judgement and you may be correct but it's controversial at the least.

If the offsides call was made from that kick in, i don't think Tigres would've protested very hard if at all.
Nikolai
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby finnfan » Wed Mar 6, 2013 10:38:14 pm

The Laws of the Game are pretty clear about this. There are three cases in which offside could have been called. This are if the third player had

* "interfered with play" -- however, this is defined as playing or touching the ball
* "interfered with an opponent" -- however, this cannot be applied here because there was no Sounder near him and he was just walking away from the goal
* "gained an advantage by being in that position" -- however, this too can be called only if the player eventually touches the ball

See the rule on page 35 and the exact definitions of the three phrases on page 104 in the Laws of the Game here:
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/footbal ... 2012_e.pdf
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby ericgi » Wed Mar 6, 2013 10:53:37 pm

well, if you'd told me 1-0 before this game, I'd have taken it no question.

Have to say, Leo did really well in this game... especially off the ball, providing depth in defense. May not have the pace he once had, but definitely some good "IQ" in the back. Probably man of the match.

Traore/Hurtado partnership looks a lot better than Hurtado/Scott.

Evans had a match to forget, wish I'd had a beer for every silly giveaway he had in the first half. Have to wonder if AJ isn't healthy enough to go in the return leg, if it makes better sense to put Evans at RB, pull Rosales back into midfield and maybe give Ochoa a start up top. Tigres is pretty short in the back.. stand a good chance of hurting them with EJ and Ochoa's height on set pieces/corners.
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby JerrarDAtkinson » Thu Mar 7, 2013 12:02:31 am

thought we played smart, if not very good. loved the way Johnson took responsibility when he got the ball to help relieve the pressure. i think he has the ability to cause them a lot of problems in the return leg with his strength and pace. i hope we play a direct attacking style early to exploit his athletic superiority and get them on the back foot.

Alonso keeps getting better. Evans seemed to shrink when partnered with him today, vs on Sunday when he took a lot more leadership in the center.

I still haven't been impressed with Martinez. for as much skill and technique as he possesses, his decision making on the ball is poor. hopefully he'll improve with more game time . he's got a long way to go to be a player who can consistently affect matches in my opinion.

I bet we'll see the same line up in the return leg. it's too bad we haven't got another forward of first-team quality. i'd love to get Mauro back in midfield.

i'm excited for next week. it's set up to be a really good match.
JerrarDAtkinson
Past ECS Member

PreviousNext

Return to Match Day