Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

03/06/13 :: UANL Tigres : SSFC (CCL) -- KICK 19:00

Everything match specific.

Unread postby ProdigalReality » Thu Mar 7, 2013 12:09:39 am

We really had no intention of scoring this game. Next week, I think we do see Yedlin start. Expect to see a more attacking game.
ProdigalReality
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby RatCity » Thu Mar 7, 2013 8:09:33 am

I'm concerned about how long we were holding the ball at times. While I understand we had no moved forward or side to side, I would rather pass back then lose the ball while we're trying to make something happen.

Finn on the offsides, I would make the argument that even though he was walking away, the player interfered with spurning's sight line there for causing him to make a different decision and/or interfere in the play. I only make the argument because we've seen plays like this before and agreed with the refs call. However sadly, to the letter of the rule I think your correct since as stated the player must interfere directly.
RatCity
Past ECS Member

Unread postby finnfan » Thu Mar 7, 2013 8:47:10 am

Well, "obstructing the line of vision" is part of the definition of "interfering with an opponent", but I think it would be pretty hard to make that case here.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby jacktackular » Thu Mar 7, 2013 9:05:12 am

you will usually only see "obstructing the line of vision" given if the offside player is between the onside shooting player and the keeper

Scott tried to get even with the defense but was a half step late, and the run was timed really well ... calling offside would have been incorrect.

we were a bit unlucky on that goal but were also fortunate a few times early in the match not to take one so you can't be too bummed on 1-nil. We have every chance to get through at home now
jacktackular
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Thu Mar 7, 2013 9:17:30 am

Is Brad Evans colorblind or otherwise sight impaired? I'm not sure I saw him pass to a grey shirt all night.
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby MikeEnglandIsMyHero » Thu Mar 7, 2013 10:41:27 am

finnfan wrote:Well, "obstructing the line of vision" is part of the definition of "interfering with an opponent", but I think it would be pretty hard to make that case here.

The addition of passive offside took a reasonably clear cut rule and made it much more subjective. I really like it applied when you see a player in an offside position, clearly out of the play (on the opposite of the pitch), perhaps even walking back towards his own end. I like it less when the player who is offside is a yard away from the play, has his body open to receive, but is deemed not involved. He could have attempted to play the ball with his head, but instead (smartly) let the ball carry to the player who was onside. It was in effect a very clever "passive" dummy, which in my opinion had to affect Gspurning (even then he made the initial parry).

All that said, how a ball can get played to an offensive players foot, inside the six....well that can only be considered a breakdown. Regardless, I think we should feel pretty good about getting out of there giving up only one. Could have been a lot worse.
MikeEnglandIsMyHero
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby finnfan » Thu Mar 7, 2013 11:00:30 am

That happens when one player in your defensive line is not in sync with the others who are making an offside trap.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby FuzzyForeigner » Thu Mar 7, 2013 11:44:19 am

SP The Ghost wrote:Is Brad Evans colorblind or otherwise sight impaired? I'm not sure I saw him pass to a grey shirt all night.

one of the things people acclaim him for is his consistency. well this was a highly inconsistent performance. was absent in second half. did not organize midfuield. was unsure when to move up or back with ozzie and gave up posession 9 times.
FuzzyForeigner
Past ECS Member

Unread postby 6ft2whiteguy » Thu Mar 7, 2013 11:46:49 am

I've never been that frightened during a stretch of 90 minutes in my whole life. Good result though. Exhale...
6ft2whiteguy
Past ECS Member

Unread postby FuzzyForeigner » Thu Mar 7, 2013 11:50:22 am

i thought that had it not been for scott our defensive shape was always very good. scott needs to understand that its the CBs that dictate the defensive line. he was off on several, not just the goal.

traore was impressive and is a starter from Tuesday onward. I very much appreciated traore's decision making when coming out of defense. It was either a solid clear out to the flanks when a no-nonsense boot was needed or it was a calm and collected pass to ozzie to begin movement upfield.

Rosales is a good player and was asked to play a position he is not great at...he is a RM. end of story. the lack of crosses affects EJ and our general shape, but thats what sigi wanted: bunker so he accomodated the coach's tactical decision.

EJ could have been sharper on two occassions. But the season has just started.

Caskey was out of his depth and that is his problem. If he does not change/up his game he will always just be a reserve that plays in USOC matches and some times in MLS matches for turnovers.

i think of how the conference finals would have gone last year had we played this game plan in LA.
FuzzyForeigner
Past ECS Member

Unread postby MikeEnglandIsMyHero » Thu Mar 7, 2013 11:56:11 am

finnfan wrote:That happens when one player in your defensive line is not in sync with the others who are making an offside trap.

I tend to agree that Zach was a weak link yesterday. With our Swede healthy, I think Yedlin could quickly become our normal sub at RB. And, if Ianni is healthy Zach will be in a position where is competing with Zavaleta for minutes where needed. I like Zach a lot, but his role needs, as it really has been, that of a cost-effective utility player.

But, the defense worked hard, got a little lucky, and I am pretty proud of the effort.
MikeEnglandIsMyHero
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby ProdigalReality » Thu Mar 7, 2013 12:20:32 pm

Zach Scott stays goal side then there is no goal.
ProdigalReality
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby jbraaten » Thu Mar 7, 2013 12:22:44 pm

It's amazing to see the different style of soccer the Tigres (and most s. of the border squads) play. I know we weren't offensively aggressive this match, but when we were in the upper 3rd, they would swarm (the yellow helped) around us. I kept pointing out to a friend last night that it was always 3 vs. 7 when we were 30 yds or closer in. Their players came back so quickly and provided support, which killed our passing %'s. Then once they regained possession the offensive players became part of the drive instantly. The team worked as one unit so well.

It also helps that most of their team grew up playing the same style. For us, it's more difficult as we have a lot of internationals.
jbraaten
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Llarian » Thu Mar 7, 2013 12:25:34 pm

ProdigalReality wrote:Zach Scott stays goal side then there is no goal.

Zach Scott (and others) play to the whistle on that play instead of immediately appealing for an offside call, there is no goal.
Llarian
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Thu Mar 7, 2013 12:40:54 pm

jbraaten wrote:It also helps that most of their team grew up playing the same style. For us, it's more difficult as we have a lot of internationals.

Then you buy players that fit your style. It's not that complicated.
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2020

PreviousNext

Return to Match Day