Mr_K
Past ECS Member

Unread postby finnfan » Sat Mar 2, 2013 10:36:14 pm

Tough loss.

Big night for Yedlin though.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby Seattleite » Sat Mar 2, 2013 10:38:35 pm

I liked how much they played with ball on the turf. Lots of effort getting the ball out of the air and keeping it on the ground.

I didn't like that as a team, they're still awful at off the ball movement.
Seattleite
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Mazzacani » Sat Mar 2, 2013 11:25:54 pm

I can't believe that just happened
Mazzacani
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SimonM » Sun Mar 3, 2013 12:01:33 am

We were terrible defensively. Montreal committed nobody forward on the counter attack really, but still managed to cause us all sorts of problems. Yedlin did pretty well on his debut, but went missing a few times. As a unit, though, our defense was all over the fucking place. At this point, I think I'd like to see Traore start at Tigres regardless of how fit he is; we can't possibly be any worse. In fairness, they didn't get too much help from the midfield, who left us isolated way too much and never got much in the way of good quality possession in the middle.

At the other end, Montreal defended in depth and we just never got anything going at all. Rosales is wasted up top IMO - we have to play him in midfield, especially at home.

On the whole, it was pretty dreadful. The only saving grace is that you still have Traore, Johansson, Alonso, Joseph, and (hopefully) Martins to plug into that team, so you can basically say that half our starters were missing. But even so, it was still a decent team that we put out there, and that was very poor indeed.
SimonM
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Sounderfanboy » Sun Mar 3, 2013 12:36:18 am

Not really that bummed about this. A solid debut for Yedlin. The defense wasnt bad, how many times is Davey going to chip 6'6" Gspurning!? Missing Alonso is huge and we hit post twice. We couldn't break down a heavily bunkered team yet again, anyone actually surprised.

Now if we don't play better on Wednesday, we are going to go down 0-4 or worse. I think we will bounce back.
Sounderfanboy
Past ECS Member

Unread postby jbraaten » Sun Mar 3, 2013 1:25:21 am

Tough loss, but our optimism is ahead of us - with a [hopefully soon] signing and HB being playable and Joseph in eventually, we were weak from the start. My immediate player thoughts:

Rosales: so glad he is our captain. He hustled like crazy tonight. Supporting forward isn't his best position, but he worked hard on all sides of the pitch tonight
Martinez: so happy to see him in "free roaming" mode. He was everywhere tonight and still needs to connect better with our upper 3rd, but he WILL be more effective in our offense.
Yedlin: There he is. Surprising role of the night. He rushed hard but had the quick-pass and field knowledge most players want. The guy can hustle. He's not perfect, but he worked hard tonight. Props to our defense doing a great cover for his side when he moved up a lot.
Gspurning: Did barely anything wrong tonight. One incredible goal but other than that he has all my faith
EJ: I blame half of it on the offense not giving him proper service and the other half of him not capitalizing on his chances. Hopefully looking forward to a world-class striker next to him. He can be a great goal-scorer, but needs a top notch striker next to him help him. EJ will score for us.
jbraaten
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ProdigalReality » Sun Mar 3, 2013 1:36:52 am

No one really had a bad game. But, no one had a great game. I'm going to avoid trying to fall for the Yedlin hype train. He had a good game, but the first half, he made some bad short passes, and some bad low crosses. The positive to his game, he looked confident, as if he'd been doing this for years. He stood up to Di Vaio, even when it looked like Di Vaio was specifically targeting Yedlin to try to take advantage of the kid.

Montreal is a team full of some really great experienced players. This is going to be a real good team this year. I don't think our defense did that bad. We got a beat by a good goal. Not many players in this league would think of chipping the keeper in that situation.

I think Mauro disappeared a lot in the game. EJ coming back really messed with Mauro's game.

We really missed Ozzie and Tiffert. I felt the middle of our midfield just struggled to move the ball forward on counter attacks. No one was really making any challenges.

My biggest worry right now is when our outside backs attack, we're going to be very susceptible to the counter attack. A team like L.A. can take advantage of this.
ProdigalReality
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby PapermakerFC » Sun Mar 3, 2013 2:21:22 am

ProdigalReality wrote:No one really had a bad game. But, no one had a great game. I'm going to avoid trying to fall for the Yedlin hype train. He had a good game, but the first half, he made some bad short passes, and some bad low crosses. The positive to his game, he looked confident, as if he'd been doing this for years. He stood up to Di Vaio, even when it looked like Di Vaio was specifically targeting Yedlin to try to take advantage of the kid.

Montreal is a team full of some really great experienced players. This is going to be a real good team this year. I don't think our defense did that bad. We got a beat by a good goal. Not many players in this league would think of chipping the keeper in that situation.

I think Mauro disappeared a lot in the game. EJ coming back really messed with Mauro's game.

We really missed Ozzie and Tiffert. I felt the middle of our midfield just struggled to move the ball forward on counter attacks. No one was really making any challenges.

My biggest worry right now is when our outside backs attack, we're going to be very susceptible to the counter attack. A team like L.A. can take advantage of this.

Agreed with all of the above, especially with the bolded, because that is what ended our last season.
PapermakerFC
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby FuzzyForeigner » Sun Mar 3, 2013 8:56:58 am

this was not our ideal starting eleven. and this team is very different without alonso. i think rose had a good game, but he plays on an island. no real aggressive vertical vision from him.
FuzzyForeigner
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Leo Henton » Sun Mar 3, 2013 11:18:08 am

Thank you greatly to everyone at E.C.S. and especially the Tifo crew. Following is a hyperlink to a Flckr photo of the E.C.S. Tifo of March 2, 2013:

ECS_SoundersFC_03_02_2013_Tifo

Uploaded by Leo Henton on March 3, 2013
AttributionNoncommercial Some rights reserved.
Just follow this link to see and comment on this photo:
» http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0099009/photo ... 524273725/

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0099009/photos/21673420@N07/8524273725/

The Tifo crew just keeps on getting better and better !

[img]
20130302_193425_mini40.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
20130302_193425_mini40.jpg
Minature version of ECS_SoundersFC_03_02_2013_Tifo
Leo Henton
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Charli125 » Sun Mar 3, 2013 1:02:24 pm

TIFO was awesome, my favorite so far!

I thought Montreal did a great job at neutralizing our offense. We're pretty lethal on the fast-break, and they made sure we didn't get any. Didn't help the misses we had up close, but they made sure they always had us outnumbered in the box. The goal was a gift, but then again, they came close a few other times, so it's not like they got lucky. They made the most of their chances.

Yedlin looked lost most of the game. I saw potential, but he plain looked over-matched to me. From the game write-up apparently I'm in the minority on that.

That being said, I'm not too upset, since it wasn't our best line-up. I would've liked to see a bit more creativity from Sigi rather than the same thing the whole game, but hopefully it's early season jitters.
Charli125
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Llarian » Sun Mar 3, 2013 1:26:29 pm

I'd argue that some players did indeed have bad games, but not most. EJ and Zak in particular I thought were pretty poor. The rest were ok.

Yedlin impressed me. His crosses were a bit weak (but so were everybody else's last night), but his attacking play cutting in was quite good (there's more than one avenue for a fullback on the attack). He also showed quite good defensive awareness, leaving the player with the ball to the midfield to track his running several times, which is more than I can say for Hurtado.
Llarian
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby ob4444 » Sun Mar 3, 2013 8:07:38 pm

Llarian wrote:I'd argue that some players did indeed have bad games, but not most. EJ and Zak in particular I thought were pretty poor. The rest were ok.

Yedlin impressed me. His crosses were a bit weak (but so were everybody else's last night), but his attacking play cutting in was quite good (there's more than one avenue for a fullback on the attack). He also showed quite good defensive awareness, leaving the player with the ball to the midfield to track his running several times, which is more than I can say for Hurtado.

Zak seemed to have some hesitance. Not sure if this is him feeling he needs to protect his leg still, but he gets pushed off the ball all too easily. Every game is a step in the right direction for his confidence, but he was dreadful in my mind last night. I love the guy and want to see him excell so badly, in due time i guess.
ob4444
Past ECS Member

PreviousNext

Return to Match Day